Life: Looking Back, Looking Forward

Pemerson

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Probably all of us have our social antennae at low mast from time to time. Some people seem to have it so about all the time. These may be explainable brain differences, or how people were raised, or some exciting combo.

Good resolution, Lash.

Yes, that's true. But, that's why it works to talk it out, especially when your're not seeing the people - the go-to bunch. But, there are millions listening in, and that in itself should make us laugh so we're not so serious.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
It was one of the most thrilling reads I have ever experienced here at a2k!

Thanks for my first bizarre scream-laugh of the day. I will try to read to Tron from now on.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 05:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ - thanks a lot. I was loathe to stick my neck out over such a seemingly silly thing - but, I'm so glad I did. With some people, you don't have to police boundaries so damn stringently, but I can see with her I do. Even if she's trying to do us a favor or a kindness... Like when we told her we were thinking of renting a car to drive down, she sent us the rental agreement 30 minutes later.

SHE rented it...but of course, knowing her financial situation, we'll reimburse her - so in effect - she spent our money and confirmed our travel times without asking.

The thing that saves her is the plans are ok to change. The dates and times aren't set in stone...but THIS is the kind of Take Charge Controlling person I'm dealing with. Of course, complaining about her trying to do something kind can make us seem small and ungrateful, but it's just another example of her not considering other people's feelings and autonomy, and just crashing through like a bull in a china shop.

Anyway, cripes. I'm in for a lifetime of dealing with this.

Re Pemerson: Honey, you are so right. Having good people to bounce this stuff off of is such a prized luxury for me. Thank you so much for adding in. I consider myself richly blessed in many aspects of my life, and having people like soz, CJ, Beth, Izzie, you, Joeblow, and osso who listen, consider and give it to me straight ranks high among my blessings.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 06:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
. Even if she's trying to do us a favor or a kindness... Like when we told her we were thinking of renting a car to drive down, she sent us the rental agreement 30 minutes later.

SHE rented it...but of course, knowing her financial situation, we'll reimburse her - so in effect - she spent our money and confirmed our travel times without asking.

is this an example of the kind of ongoing relationship she has had with your fiance? and he sort of always went along with things? she made plans/he followed through and paid?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 07:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Even if she's trying to do us a favor or a kindness... Like when we told her we were thinking of renting a car to drive down, she sent us the rental agreement 30 minutes later.

The thing that saves her is the plans are ok to change. The dates and times aren't set in stone...but THIS is the kind of Take Charge Controlling person I'm dealing with. Of course, complaining about her trying to do something kind can make us seem small and ungrateful, but it's just another example of her not considering other people's feelings and autonomy, and just crashing through like a bull in a china shop.

Anyway, cripes. I'm in for a lifetime of dealing with this.

Oh my god.

I clicked to edit but my brain's frozen. I'm sputtering! I mean, for heaven's sake!
Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:58 pm
@Joeblow,
I finally got a job. I've had the most wonderful experience as an Instructional Aide in a Menlo Park middle school this past year - I just wanted to get inside a classroom while I waited on the VAUNTED STATE OF CALIFORNIA to shuffle me papers around and bestow teaching rights upon me.

I'm still not up to snuff per them - some authorizations still pending - (warning for teachers from out of state: : "reciprocity" has a different definition in CA...) but smoldering anger aside: I am one happy little tamale.

I'm teaching LA and History (crazy thrill sound here) to under-served seventh graders in the Bay area (OMG!!!). I am totally stoked. I doubt I'd have a job now if it weren't for the Teaching Demo portion of their application process. I had to formulate a lesson for LA and History (in two days) and teach it. I have to say we had a BLAST! I adored the kids. The principal said that's whatclinched his decision - others were better on paper.

I was a bit honored that the school where I was serving as an Aide also asked me for an interview. It's a different world over in Menlo. They are a fabulously wealthy district - and attracted 200 apps for the job. I didn't think they'd even interview me. The bottom line was: why on earth would they hire me with problems galore (having to send parents letters that explain I'm not fully credentialed to teach Social Studies...bla bla), so I wasn't surprised that I didn't get the job - but they were so awesome, and I was really humbled by some killer letters of recommendation - so I walk away from the experience with a lot of great new ideas from really excellent, dedicated teachers....and a JOBBY.

I mean!!!!! wow. I'm so in love with the period of history. Origins to Medieval in China, Japan, Meso-America, Islam, Europe, Africa, the Fall of Rome, the Scientific Rev., the Reformation!!!, the Renaissance, and the Age of Exploration. It's a GREAT opportunity to model value for cultural differences, look at what we have in common - and make some people feel ownership of their classroom and their country. I have 30% Chinese descent students, 30 Filipino, 15% Hispanic, 10% black - not sure of others' ethnic background, but I don't have any Cauc students. I'm SO excited.

Of course, I'm studying like mad. I'm also reading some books for first year teachers and studying for a EL authorization (teaching students with a home language other than English).

If any teachers have words of wisdom for a newby, I'd love to hear them!

Also - I'd like to WALLPAPER my walls with inspirational quotes and pictures of awe-inspiring people who look like my students. I am completely ignorant of Filipino and Chinese-Americans (cepting maybe IM Pei?) So, I'd be happy if anyone can supply some to shorten at least one of the research projects I have going...

I think I found the perfect job for me.

Would it be like "religion" to use Buddha quotes? Pandering to use Confucius?

sozobe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:11 pm
@Lash,
Maybe that could be an early assignment? Ask them to come up with a quote that is meaningful to them, with a nudge that something from their family/ culture would be peachy (but not requiring it).

Get buy-in and also feedback about how they'd like to approach that whole thing.

Congrats on the job!
Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:17 pm
@Lash,
I looked back at the first post on this thread. 5 years ago. I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish.
To live in another country for a year. (LOL) California seems pretty close to another country....(planet, mayhap...haha) Anyway, i ding CA on a regular basis, and it deserves some dents - but it is also breathtakingly beautiful. I still stare out the car window as we tool around - and even today, I lost my breath as the Pacifica vista emerged over a hill. I still may find myself in another country, but right now, my wanderlust is satisfied.

To earn a doctorate. I will do this if I can afford it. I am toying around with some research projects to gauge my efficiency as a teacher - and I'm straining my brain to come up with a research project that can aid education as a whole. My next desire was to publish something I'm proud of. (smiling) My research project would do nicely.

It's nice to be able to look back; see where I was - and where I am. Funny, too. All the poor men I confounded on the way. Wink Wedding plans forming for next Summer. Anybody been to the San Juan Islands?
Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:17 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks. Awesome idea!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:17 pm
@Lash,
Fabulous, she shrieks! (Hey, I had coffee once in Menlo Park.. oh, and another time my friend took me to this super duper grocery store, so I've been there twice).
What's LA?

Very very happy for you.
Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Language Arts. Thanks, osso!!! Menlo Park is such a cool little town. It's really upscale and tree-lined. When the weather is nice - I love to eat al fresco and people/dog watch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:28 pm
@Lash,
My aunt Nan taught there in a one room school house around 1919.. Don't know which island. But, I haven't been there.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:48 pm
@Lash,
Well, YeHAW!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:03 pm
@Lash,
Lash, What's been missing since NCLB is the way we are teaching our children like in a factory. The biggest problem with this style of teaching is the simple fact that not all children learn at the same age and speed, and everybody has different interests. Trying to force a square block into a round hole never works, but our schools have been working hard to force all children to meet some standardized tests. They still don't count all those children who dropped out of school, because they were unable to keep up. That's the sad state of our education in the US. We need to get back to teaching our children at their abilities and interests.

Starting with the three R's would be a good start. Most kids today don't even know where many of the countries are on a world map.

Please find a way to do that!
Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 02:24 am
@ossobuco,
Interesting! I'd not heard of it til a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a nice place to nature walk, whale watch...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 02:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'll do the very best I can CI. I do practice differentiation - finding ways to make things a little easier for struggling students - and I do look hard for ways to teach to students' skill and interests. You'll be happy to know that there is a geography component to my history class...and of the three Rs - I'm all over two of them. I'll report in with you - and let you know how my students are doing.
Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:40 pm
@Lash,
Well, I've been teaching in the Daly City school system in CA for a week, and boy are my arms tired.

I don't know where to start. Maybe that I mumbled myself to sleep last night with my fiance about two of my students. (smile) Earlier, he and I had been talking about a concert I'd like to see and he said, "I think our money would be better spent on getting a Boys' Club membership for ___(troubled student)___. I loved him more in that moment.

I'll have to parse out what's going on. Will be back.

I'm as happy as a pig in mud.
roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:51 pm
@Lash,
Just keep whacking them and the arms will toughen up quicker than you would ever believe. Don't let two of them mess up the class for everyone.
Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:57 pm
@roger,
I'm such a sucker, Rog. These are the two I knock myself out over. I see that I teach to the strugglers and today - one of the advanced students approached me for more rigorous work. It's a Herculean task to meet so many disparate needs; but, it's thrilling!

PS. We're so poor that I'm also the PE teacher. Jeeeez.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:10 pm
@Lash,
You can handle it, Lash! When you're happy and content you can master anything! It's so nice to see how your life has changed from where you started five years ago. It certainly was a rough journey, but you've been rewarded big time and I hope it will continue to be this way for you and your loved ones! You of all people deserve it!