ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 08:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
Says too.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 08:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ, what a lovely, sweet sentiment. Thank you so much.

I am STILL learnng -probably the most difficult thing for me: getting along with peers. I percieve that I'm laid back and that I deflect personal differences (IRL hahaha) in deference to peace... I was asked for my opinion about the applicant pool from which my teaching partner would be plucked - I watched their teaching demos, and I chose the one who eventually formed a better rapport with students than the other. He was hired largely based on my comments.

He turns out to be very opinionated and quite the Mr Negative Reinforcement. We share 7th grade - I do LA and History - he does Math and Science. The kids don't like him. I seem to be flavor of the month at school. I know in large part it's because ANYBODY would seem preferable to his negativity - but i make it worse for him by being very affectionate and having an almost diametrically opposed classroom management style. He seems to blame me and my relaxed style for the problems he's having with students.

I've caught him talking about me twice with other teachers. I DO have a rather buzzy class, but my students perform for me and they are participating and learning. THIS is my overriding goal.

So far, my principal backs me. Not that I've told anyone of any problems with my teaching partner.

I have smiled when I wanted to smack him. He's made the mistake of answering questions in staff meetings that were directed to the principal - so it is common knowledge that he's a know it all.

I'm not sure how much sideways criticism I'm going to take from him before I cut him off at the legs. I really don't know the line between being abused and being the ass.

Other than that, very good things are happening.

I can see how teachers can wind up spending all their money on their kids...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 10:26 pm
My teaching partner was fired a few months ago due to threatening behavior with a student...you know that macho approach guys do when they're getting ready to swing on someone, sorta walking like an ape and bumping chests. I'm not sure that single incident would have resulted in a firing if the principal and staff weren't already sick of his personality. Interestingly, due to paperwork errors (a loophole - I don't want to be too specific...collide-y worlds...) they had to rehire him. He has an anger problem. The kids tell me he yells, slams the door... It puts me in a really uncomfortable position. I don't like being told routine complaints about a co-teacher - but I do want them to be able to tell me if something serious happens.

I am loving teaching - love my kids, mostly - but am really hating how much of my life I have to give up to accomplish all the bullshit required of teachers. Part of it is being a first year teacher. I know this will improve.

The principal is widely known as someone who changes his story when it's convenient... "No, you misunderstood. I said...(insert convenient lie here)." I just got my first dose of it. Unattractive.

I wish my job was more about teaching, less about bullshit.

I was really happy that my kids did exceptionally well on one of those well-loved standardized tests. Say what you will, but 40 percent of them made dramatic gains from last year. It's fun to introduce them to new things and watch them run with it.

I have to say though - I spend about 80% of my waking hours embroiled in some aspect of my job. If my SO wasn't very dedicated, the relationship couldn't survive. I really feel like I'm totally donating a year of my life to this job. If the second year isn't dramatically different, I doubt seriously I'll continue.

Been wondering how Little K is doing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 10:36 pm
@Lash,
If u leave,
what woud u prefer to DO ?

David
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 10:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Smile Aerobics instructor, bellydance instructor, make jewelry and sell it at lovely festivals.... dog whisperer... *LOL*
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:59 pm
I was really shocked about something that happened recently. During a teacher meeting, we were told that the union rep was waiting for us in a private classroom. He talked to us about two Propositions on the ballot to strengthen the union. I was given a form with boxes to check how I planned to vote; my name was pre-printed on the form; and I was told I could leave as soon as I checked my boxes and handed it in.

I'm not sure how this affects anyone else, but the hair rose on the back of my neck. This is one of the most egregious affronts to my individualism and personal rights I've ever experienced. I felt that my job and career in teaching were directly threatened.

Usually, I'd speak up or at least throw the thing away - or answer honestly. I had no intention of strengthening the ******* union. I see what it does, and it is the most damaging single thing to education in California. I knew my job would be in peril unless I lied on the form - which I did.

Nearly one hundred dollars a month is stolen from my check each month by the union. It is used against my will. On my paycheck, it is cited as a voluntary donation.

I never imagined anything like this could happen in America. I want people to know. I'm ashamed that I was too afraid to stand up for myself and my principles.

roger

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 09:52 pm
@Lash,
Yeah, you always depend on the people you work with, and there's no such thing as secrecy between the union bulls and the general membership.

That's an expensive union, by the way. When I was in the IBEW, the dues were 2 X the hourly rate. We were very well paid, but not even close to $50 per hour back in 1988.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:03 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I was really shocked about something that happened recently. During a teacher meeting, we were told that the union rep was waiting for us in a private classroom. He talked to us about two Propositions on the ballot to strengthen the union. I was given a form with boxes to check how I planned to vote; my name was pre-printed on the form; and I was told I could leave as soon as I checked my boxes and handed it in.

I'm not sure how this affects anyone else, but the hair rose on the back of my neck. This is one of the most egregious affronts to my individualism and personal rights I've ever experienced. I felt that my job and career in teaching were directly threatened.

Usually, I'd speak up or at least throw the thing away - or answer honestly. I had no intention of strengthening the ******* union. I see what it does, and it is the most damaging single thing to education in California. I knew my job would be in peril unless I lied on the form - which I did.

Nearly one hundred dollars a month is stolen from my check each month by the union. It is used against my will. On my paycheck, it is cited as a voluntary donation.

I never imagined anything like this could happen in America. I want people to know. I'm ashamed that I was too afraid to stand up for myself and my principles.
Please accept my sympathies
that u were subjected to that intrusion, Lash.

David
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:56 am
@Lash,
You can still vote your conscience. That isn't your point I know... but it is something.

The bitch of it all is that unions are supposed to protect their workers, not subject them to risk. I stopped attending union meetings after I was asked to support an action that would have put me and a few others smack in the crosshairs, because we were not yet permanent full time. That was a long time ago now and it still rankles. It took a few years before I had decent relations with some of the others after that. And there's no choice, I have to belong to the union, or I can't work.

I hear you. I hope you can shrug it off soon.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:19 pm
Rog, joeblow and David, I thank you for saying something. It really bothers me that people think this is ok. I understand partisanship - very few of us are impervious to it. People back "their party" if they have one - and look the other way when their party does something really vile.

Unions are a moneymaker for one party - and what they are doing is VILE. It is wrong. I guess this is the primary thing that keeps me from espousing goals of the Democrat party. Individual rights are more important to me than collective rights. I am stripped of my rights, and subjected to the whims of a group.

Thanks again you guys. I feel like someone understands what a big deal this is - not just for me - but I feel for all of us, eventually. This seems so precursive to what Orwell was talking about.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:24 pm
@Lash,
At least in my last union job, I didn't feel obliged to let them clip me for a portion of dues to support their political activities. New Mexico may not be a right to work state, but the power plant was darn sure located on a Right to Work reservation. The tribe (Navajo) rightfully decided that no union was telling any Indian where he couldn't work.

The tribe is an unbelievable political mess, but even a blind pig finds an occasional acorn.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:54 pm
@Lash,
I'm 51. I dragged my ass through a college edumacation on welfare living in a housing authority - and I swear on all that is holy (ok, nothing's is so much holy) that life is lovely. I'm telling kids things they didn't know- I have the distinct honor of awarding kids that don't make As with Student of the Month - I show great value in "trying," and lives are changing. I feel like Hercules.

Today, I was teaching the root "duct." I had them looking at each other's tear ducts - amazing how they didn't know.

They screwed up their faces as we learned about bile ducts. Conduct, conductor, Where do you hide in a lightning storm...under the water in a pond, under a tree...or in a clear, open space...? Basic information...about life. (I'm smiling.)

A notable professor came in to teach me how to do Silent Sustained Reading. I know I have a lot to learn from everyone who wanders in to my path - but I have to say... this professor of teachers in a university HAD NEVER TAUGHT CHILDREN IN PUBLIC SCHOOL. (grin)

She fumbled and stumbled and I thought - who the hell are you to tell me what to do when you've never done it?

I have a lot to learn. So does she.

Bringing my paragraph that announced my Student of the Month soon. If I can find the damn thing.

The student body was on their feet. (JTT, feel free to critique that grammar.)

A good day.

Love my job. I can't imagine anything more wonderful.
0 Replies