Is the "Holy Spirit" male or female?

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:23 am
I was shocked too bunny....methinks the Craven is quite confused...everyone knows that dieties are of no particular, and all genders together....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:07 am
God the father, Jesus the son... the holy ghost the uncle?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:07 am
Holy ghost the it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:22 am
The gay uncle, like uncle Monty from Withnail and I?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:22 pm
It would only be fair. One of them should be a black female, for justice's sake. Maybe God?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:51 pm
Word up, girlfriend...
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 04:40 pm
If then the holy spirit must have this gender, imposed upon it due to a forced stereotype, it would almost certainly have to be male. Any power role created in those times were made masculine. The only exceptions being when they physically had to be women (i.e. Mother Mary). As prejudice as the writers of the most biggotted book taken as fact are, why place one of the three most powerful "humanoids" be a woman?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 04:44 pm
NNY brings up a good point about the politicization of religion...but when we take away the politics, and assume the existence of a supreme diety, we must assume that the diety in question is all encompassing, not a particular sex, and not sexless either, as all life's diversity was created by said entity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 04:48 pm
Little know aspect of the space program, in 1966, Alabama sent a mission to heaven . . . it was long overdue and they had just about given up, when the capsule splashed down in Mobile Bay . . . they get some boats out there, an' get the ol' boys outta the can an' bring 'em back to a hotel. Of course, the press was excluded, but the local Council of Churches has reps there ready to grill 'em.

What was it like? Did you see angels? Did you see St. Peter?

Never mind that, did you see God?

Well, yes we did.

And . . .

Well, brace yerselves . . . the first thing is, She's black . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
God the father, Jesus the son... the holy ghost the uncle?

I ain't never said them Hebrews didn't say "He" and such - I be saying don't you believe such to be true less'n you see them doodads!

(Why am I speaking like this?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:24 pm
And CAV thinks DIETS have gender - heehee....
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:31 pm
Anyone familiar with the Left Behind series? The coauthor of the series, Tim Lahaye, wrote a book called Revelation Unveiled. In it he refers to the holy spirit as he.

In no way do I submit this as any kind of proof, as he is... well, the "Southern Baptist hypocrite" stereotype, but it is interesting none the less.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:29 pm
Oh, bunny, diets do indeed have genders, just ask any Hollywood publicist, er, actor/actress babysitter...hee!

I saw that Kirk Cameron movie 'Left Behind'....it didn't convince me....if a higher power created all life on earth, it must logically be a being that contains all life as we know it, therefore, not male or female. Our weakness has always been that we were made in god's 'image', not made as gods. To try to guess the gender of a creator is hubris.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:31 pm
Fine, deities....heh heh....I can't type. Either that or I am preoccupied with my profession, lol.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 08:37 pm
If talking about it like that, why would any of the three save Jesus( as he lived once on Earth) need sexual organs?

We are thinking narrow mindedly if we MUST put a sexual dominence on all beings. The transcribers could have just as easily put "he" because God being referred to as it sounded horrible.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:27 pm
What about when Jesus called God his father?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:30 pm
My guess is that the word father probably lost something in the translation....at least the way we understand the term. Hmm...maybe I will look into that tomorrow, and learn to spell deity. Smile
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:50 pm
father- to make oneself the founder, producer, or author of.

Defined as this, it denotes no masculinity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:00 pm
Jesus was/spoke Hebrew.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:01 pm
And he presumably knew who his mummy was!
0 Replies