Supremes to Colleges: Military Recruiter Bans Illegal

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 03:43 pm
timberlandko wrote:
engineer wrote:
Is it ok to tax us, then only give the money back if we adhere to Washington's vision, or should we pay more in state and local taxes and reduce federal control?

If you don't like the laws, elect legislators who will enact laws more to your liking.

Well, that's a given. I thought I would inspire some debate. Should the federal government do this?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:57 pm
Not only should any red blooded American appreciate those who choose to serve or have a career in the military, but they should welcome and invite the recruiters to all highschool, college, and university campuses. Further I think the R.O.T.C. is a great and positive organization for interested young people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:08 pm
To me, the primary purpose of government is defense of its citizens, within and without. I am gratified that there is no draft, but young people need learn about life in the military, and have the option to make up their minds as to whether a military career is to their liking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:16 pm
Recruiters have no business in high schools. High school students are not legally old enough to sign contracts. If recruiters are after high school kids, let them visit the kids in their homes, with the parents present.

Typical conservative idiocy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:26 pm
"Red blooded".

So .. what colour is the blood of anyone who disagrees with you, Fox?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
I found that hilarious too, but give Fox's paranoia, i figured if i mentioned it, she would get hysterical and claim i was personally attacking her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:49 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
To me, the primary purpose of government is defense of its citizens, within and without. I am gratified that there is no draft, but young people need learn about life in the military, and have the option to make up their minds as to whether a military career is to their liking.

Hmmm...I know nothing about recruiters, but I had picked up that they were more about high pressure sales tactics (don't they have quotas to fill?) than about information giving. I had picked up an impression (not sure from where) that they offer very rose coloured glasses upped versions of military reality.

Personally, I would have no problem with kids being given accurate information about a military career in high school, as with any other possible career, but I would be reluctant to have high pressure sales stuff happening from anyone.

What is the nature of the "recruiting" process?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:55 pm
We've had a coupla threads here on problems with the U.S. recruiting process, and what the military has tried to do to deal with the accusations. Not sure if they were successful.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
Recruiters have no business in high schools. High school students are not legally old enough to sign contracts. If recruiters are after high school kids, let them visit the kids in their homes, with the parents present.

Typical conservative idiocy.

Except for all of the 18 year old high school students, of course, who are certainly legally old enough to sign contracts. And I fail to see your logic here ... if you understand the 17 year olds are not old enough to sign contracts on their own, what's your beef with the process?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:17 pm
Hey anon,
Here is an idea on how to avoid those high rates on student loans...DONT GET THEM!!!!!!!!

Get a job and pay for your own education.
If you cant afford to go,wait till you can afford it.
Dont bitch about the interest rates when you chose to take the loans,you knew what you were getting into.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:09 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Hey anon,
Here is an idea on how to avoid those high rates on student loans...DONT GET THEM!!!!!!!!

Dont bitch about the interest rates when you chose to take the loans,you knew what you were getting into.

MM Dear,

I earned my Doctorate, on my own, over a period of 25 years. I never had any loans. Educations were cheaper then!! My grandchildren however will have theirs paid for from their trusts. How about yours??

Anon
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:20 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Hey anon,

MM Dear,

I earned my Doctorate, on my own, over a period of 25 years. I never had any loans. Educations were cheaper then!! My grandchildren however will have theirs paid for from their trusts. How about yours??

Anon

Since I dont have kids,the question is not relevant.
But,if you mean in general,why cant kids do it the same way you dod,or I did?
Work for your own education instead of expecting someone else to pay for it.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Since I dont have kids,the question is not relevant.

There IS a "GOD"!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
ehBeth wrote:
We've had a coupla threads here on problems with the U.S. recruiting process, and what the military has tried to do to deal with the accusations. Not sure if they were successful.

ehBeth,

The first thing you have to do is weed out the child molestors and the rapists before you let them near the highschools!!

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050417/NEWS02/504170392

Military recruiting rules rapped
Sex-abuse charges raise questions

A Feb. 28 indictment accuses Vetesy, 36, of assaulting six young women he met while recruiting at Indianapolis-area high schools. The indictment says the assaults included throwing one against a wall and attempting to kiss her and raping another on a countertop.

Eight additional charges were added March 29 after a seventh young woman contacted authorities.

Now we know where soldiers practice up before they're sent to places like Abu Ghraib ... they practice on kids at highschools!!

Anon
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
Quote:
The first thing you have to do is weed out the child molestors and the rapists before you let them near the highschools!!

Or the White House,or congress,or the police departments,or the fire stations,or the court houses,or the grocery stores,or the gas stations,etc.

I can find stories like that from every one of the places I just mentioned,does that mean that everybody that works in those places is bad?

You are taking an isolated incident and saying that everybody does that.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
MM,

Why, yes!

I think all Military child molestors and rapists should not be allowed near any of those places! I'm glad we agree!

Anon
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:28 pm
A very effective way to lessen the impact of student loan costs is to take advantage of the education opportunities afforded through the military.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:32 am
mysteryman wrote:
Hey anon,

This isn't really an option MM. Tuition is very high and paying for school has become a large burden. I worked my way through school (8am-330ish pm classes, then to work at UPS with tuition reimbursment 430pm-1030ish pm, homework after and on the weeknds). I barely had any free time and ended up with huge student loan debt.

I'm not saying that the government should pay for it but to think that you can pick up a part-time job (or two or three like my wife had) and pay for school is unrealistic.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 09:59 am
timberlandko wrote:
Thats nonsense, snood - corporate taxes are paid for by the consumer. Its a closed loop; without the production of the consumers, there would be no product to consume. It all comes from the consumer.

That's not what you get from the econ 101, supply-and-demand-diagram-based, welfare analysis of a tax. Rather, such analysis predicts that when a corporation pays taxes, it will roll over the cost partly forward to consumers, partlybackwards to producers (workers and capitalists). In other words, the tax will be paid out of rising prices, declining wages, and falling profits, the exact ratio depending on the flexibility of agents to reduce their supply or demand in response to price changes. (The technical term for this is "elasticity".) So while consumers and workers may well pay most of the corporate taxes, it isn't true that profit earners pay nothing at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:17 am
And, in fact, a tightly competetive market may well prevent even a significant fraction of a rise in corporate taxes from being passed on. Capitalists will always sacrifice a portion of profit to protect market share, and will even accept short-term loss to capture market share, or to undermine the competition--witness the practice of foreign producers dumping at a loss to drive domestic competetion out of business.
0 Replies