My grandfather's memoirs

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:26 pm
This was a great re-read.

Thanks to cav, cavDad and buttercup for the work they did in transcribing/translating cav's grandfather's work.

Cav's dad and I talked about this thread just about a year ago at the unveiling.
0 Replies

The Mezz

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:17 am
Cavfancier's line in Ireland
Cav, I am writing to you from Ireland where another strand of the story is now unfolding. I believe the man you describe as your grandfather in the story is my Uncle Boris, making his father my grandfather, and you my first cousin once removed! I am Mike son of Ken. If I'm right, Ken is your uncle. Does this fit?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
Im sorry Mezz

Cav passed away a while ago.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:27 am
But cav's brother and widow (Buttercup) come around now and again. Shewolf, do you remember his brother's user name?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:53 am
hmmmmmmmmm.....

not off the top of my head.
But I do remember he had a bugs bunny avatar..
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:57 am
I think it's mezzie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:06 am
I'll try to remember to send a link to Buttercup to forward to Mezzie to see if he can put the pieces together with Mezz.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:49 pm
I was just thinking how lovely it would be if cav was still with us & could respond to Mezz's post. He would have thought this was a wonderful development!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:23 pm
I just heard from buttercup. She's forwarded the link to mezzie. He's busy with work and life and stuff but ... it would be cool if Mezz and Mezzie were related!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:05 am
Wouldn't it? Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:14 am
But I would be more than surprised about that, if I recall cav's gradfather story correctly.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:13 am
Hi Mike, this is James, son of David, brother of Paul (cav). For some reason, that 1st sentence struck me as rather biblical... I actually saw Uncle Ken a few weeks ago at Alex and Shirley's house in Toronto. Also, not sure if you knew, but I was briefly in touch with Adam while I played and taught on okBridge on-line.

I just got an email from buttercup (Mrs. cav) pointing me in this thread's direction, not knowing what to expect!

Re-reading this thread has been rather emotional, as I'm sure many of you can imagine. I'm actually undergoing major life changes at the moment. We're moving later today (the movers arrive at 1), but I couldn't resist stopping by! I'll try to come by again once we've settled in our new place and I've been at my new job (starting Tuesday) for a bit...

Hi to all of cav's friends. I miss him Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:37 am
mezzie wrote:

And we miss him terribly, too, mezzie! Sad

Good luck with your move!

It'd be terrific if you could drop back here once you're settled again. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:58 am
msolga wrote:
mezzie wrote:

And we miss him terribly, too, mezzie! Sad

Good luck with your move!

It'd be terrific if you could drop back here once you're settled again. Very Happy

BIG ditto.

Good to see you Mezzie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:49 am
wow!

Mezz and mezzie are related. There's something right about that being a result of this thread.

~~~~~~

I'm going out to cav's memorial with a stone later this month. Snuck the perfect stone back from NYC in my luggage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:20 pm
It sounds likely to me...

just finished rereading the memoir.

Wow.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:58 am
ossobuco wrote:
Wow.

I'll second that!

Wow!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:40 pm
mezzie, My wife and I had the previlidge of meeting cav and buttercup when we were in Toronto, and cav did a special catered meal for us in their home. It's an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life, but more importantly cav was one of the very best of humans I've ever met. His intelligence and sensitivity were always apparent in his communication whether it was face-to-face or on a2k/Abuzz. Cav having been one of the best to come across in my life, I still think of him, and miss his presence.
0 Replies

ravello0998

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:09 pm
Wonderful memoir! Has it been fine-tuned & published?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:37 pm
@cavfancier,
Always need to talk to you, wonderful boy.