My grandfather's memoirs

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
I am totally taken at how well and articulately your grandfather wrote, Cav. I have read almost all of his recollections, and I must say, they rival the Massies' book about Nicholas and Alexandra.

It's been quite some time since I read any book, Cav. but I think you just unblocked the block.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
Thank you Letty!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:43 pm
nice one cav and thank you Very Happy
ive just read it all too it took me a fair while
cool i love life stories.. i notice leeds gets a mention Wink
and scotch corner isnt so far from me either and i know the army base there..
i find it a bit of a shame it seems incomplete and finishes in the sixties id have like to have heard what happened in the 70-90's too
maybe you can fill me in cav...
the war story is a great part of it too...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:45 pm
I would love to fill you in more, Col Man, but my grandfather was a pretty private man. I don't have much info beyond what he left us.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:00 pm
I have only read a little yet. But i will surely finish it someday.
Hey cav, how about to publish a book? Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:01 pm
i see...
ok Smile
great story nevertheless Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
Col Man, I do have personal anecdotes, clearly post-sixties, as I was born in 1970. Let me collect my thoughts, and I will try to post some soon.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:17 pm
John-Bush wrote:
I have only read a little yet. But i will surely finish it someday.
Hey cav, how about to publish a book? Very Happy

We have talked about maybe making it into a screenplay.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
that will be great!
who will be the director??
Spielburg?(I think he is good at this kind of movies) or Cavfancier? Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:24 pm
I would definitely not be involved at all, JB. It's out of my element. Wink
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:30 pm
Anyway, really pleased to know such kind of autobiography Smile
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 11:54 pm
2 and 1/2 hours of pure reading joy cav...thanks for posting it and sharing your families history...I like others wanted more...i truly hope you can bring this story to life in film...I would be first in line..
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 05:21 am
ordinary stories could always touch others
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:52 am
cavfancier wrote:
Col Man, I do have personal anecdotes, clearly post-sixties, as I was born in 1970. Let me collect my thoughts, and I will try to post some soon.

great Very Happy
id just simply like to know the general story between the end of the memoirs and the end..
if that doesnt sound too morbid...

like hmm
when and how he met toots Question ..the memoirs breifly mention he had two wives but says nothing more...
when and how he retired.....
what happened to the building they bought for the practice Question
did he ever get to israel Question

um thats about it for now i think...

as an aside, i always used to love the stories my grandma told me, when i was young, of growing up in post victorian england (1900-1920) and how poor her family were and the life she had...
sadly she never wrote a thing down, so all i have is the memories, but they'll do for me...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
Hmm...Col Man, I'll try to help you out a bit, but honestly, some of the questions I have no answers to. His first wife died in 1969, a year before I was born. By the time I arrived, he was with Toots. How they met, I don't know, but it was most likely at a social event of some sort in Regina. I also don't think he was practicing medicine by the time I was born, and I believe the building they bought for the practice is long gone. However, I do remember watching their home movies as a kid, one at the opening of the clinic, and all the doctors are smoking, drinking and whooping it up. I thought that was pretty funny. They were actually party animals in their day, and regularly kept going from dawn to dusk.
I'm not sure if they ever made it to Israel. Relatives on my mother's side did though.

Being a doctor and a good storyteller, he used to tell his kids, and the grandkids later, made-up fairy tales with characters like King Pellagra and Queen Halitosis. He also enjoyed taking phone calls from patients at dinnertime, and making sure everyone eating could hear him ask questions like "So, what colour was your phlegm again?"

He always encouraged seeking knowledge. If one of the kids had a question, rather than answer it, he always said "why don't we look it up?" The house was always full of books. There were a ton in the basement, and on one visit, when I was just a kid, he asked me to choose whatever I wanted and take them home. This was my first exposure to John Stuart Mill, Locke, Hobbes, and Shirley Jackson (she was one cool witch).

On that same visit, I was in a bug collecting phase. He helped me chloroform them and pin them to corkboards. Then we looked up the Latin names for all the species and labelled them. He introduced me to some rudimentary Latin, I introduced him to ELP, which he found interesting, but not entirely to his taste. That summer, I also trained a stray cat to do tricks, which amused him immensely.

I'll try to remember more, it has been a while. Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
ok man Smile
thanks 4 the life info Very Happy

hehe
yeah funny Very Happy doctors smoking and drinking Wink, its interesting how society's attitude changes with time.
i remember stories of how in the early part of the century in uk, many docs took heroin(diamorphine), morphine, opium, and laudinum (all opiates) regularly and encouraged others to do so too.. Smile
i know a few present day doctors and nurses and when they are not in 'serious doctor' mode they are the worst hedonists imaginable...

sounds like boris was a very good man Very Happy
he had the right idea

someone said 'lifes not about finding the right answers. its about asking the right questions'..

i love knowledge Very Happy
i think if your willing to learn enough, eventually youll see its all connected...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
Yep, I'm with you there Col Man. Didn't mothers in England give their children gin to calm them down as well, during the Industrial Revolution?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 01:57 pm
hehe.. i didnt hear about that one, but it doesnt surprise me.. we are a nation of alcoholics... best start em off young Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:15 am
cav

What a terrific read! I just finished. Your grandfather was really something! What an intelligent & capable person he was - so lively, observant & perceptive! Thanks for sending me the link. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 05:18 pm
You are welcome msolga! :wink:
0 Replies