Is homosexuality a bad thing?

Ray

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:15 am
lol... well I've stated that I'm not gay. Laughing
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 01:26 am
Besides I don't believe that someone can "like" someone else who they havn't met.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:00 pm
You mean we have to cease pining over Jake Gyllenhaal?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:42 pm
I don't get it. I must be thick.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:46 pm
Ya mean you have met him? :wink:
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:07 pm
I mean I have no idea what you're talking about.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:25 pm
aperson wrote:

This isn't really fair because I met Jake at the LA premiere of "Brokeback Mountain" and I already knew I liked him.

Other than that, one can often fall in love with the idea of a person and not just physical attraction before they meet them. That was really the whole idea behind "Brokeback Mountain," although the reality of the star-crossed lovers is not something I can completely comprehend.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:39 am
Is homosexuality a bad thing?

It depends, if you are really straight and some gay guy is in love with you or you are really gay and some girl won't take no for an answer...

It can be a bad thing... yep...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
Oh, and you've had that experience? That guy must have been deaf, dumb and blind.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Oh, and you've had that experience? That guy must have been deaf, dumb and blind.

Smile
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
aperson wrote:

This isn't really fair because I met Jake at the LA premiere of "Brokeback Mountain" and I already knew I liked him.

Other than that, one can often fall in love with the idea of a person and not just physical attraction before they meet them. That was really the whole idea behind "Brokeback Mountain," although the reality of the star-crossed lovers is not something I can completely comprehend.

Well I'm not really talking about physical attraction, I'm talking about how typing things on a keyboard is very different from actually talking to them face to face.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:52 pm
Okay -- sorry, I misunderstood. Could have been that second glass of Pinot Noir.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:28 pm
That's easy to fix. Try a third glass and it won't matter any more.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:42 pm
Laughing You're right -- I'll be retired for the evening.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:00 pm
Quote:
That was really the whole idea behind "Brokeback Mountain," although the reality of the star-crossed lovers is not something I can completely comprehend.

Light, my take on Brokeback was that it was a love story, no matter the genders.

Think of, say, The End of the Affair, the Graham Greene story from a few years ago. This is not dissimilar to Brokeback in that the lovers are star-crossed from the beginning. Their affair will never work, not because of gender problems. In Affair, it is the Church.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:26 pm
That may be true to an extent and the love story is as potent in both films. It doesn't matter how one is wired -- the chemistry is inexplicably working the same way, even if it cannot be explained psychologically. It doesn't mean, however, that the lovers always have to part for some external force, often beyond their control. They can also stay together and this may or may not be their ideal life which is why I just don't find the concept of "star-crossed" to be altogether believable. Love the idealism of it, of course.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:48 am
I think stars have little to do with it... It is chemistry... smell, touch, taste, feel, sound, sight...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:03 am
That we don't understand it and cannot altogether describe it physiologically or psychologically, love is a drug we willingly relish and when it wears off are confused and dismayed that it has not lasted. Straight or gay, it's the same state-of-mind and state-of-the-body.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:25 pm
Quote:
the chemistry is inexplicably working the same way, even if it cannot be explained psychologically. It doesn't mean, however, that the lovers always have to part for some external force, often beyond their control

It cannot be explained. I agree with you there. And, of course, the lovers do not have to part. But where is the story otherwise? Happily-ever-after doesn't have much drama.

The drama in Brokeback, which I have seen twice, is in the dynamic of the draw between the men. They pull away, try to live "regular" lives, are pulled back together, try to leave each other again. The drama here -- which does not exist in The End of the Affair-- is that the men's love is scorned and shameful, in the eyes of society, and thus they are torn, daily and eternally, between the pull of real love and the pull of conformity. I found this dramatic tension (and the reality of it) to be profound.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:38 pm
Quote:
love is a drug we willingly relish and when it wears off are confused and dismayed that it has not lasted. Straight or gay, it's the same state-of-mind and state-of-the-body.

I am only partly with you here. I think love is a matter of will. We will our minds and hearts to love an object of value (something we see as Good), and perhaps this object is not always acceptable to society as a love-object. Chemistry has a place, of course. We are drawn to that person by sight, smell, sense. The commitment, however, comes in joining our love to that person, and we WILL our love to him or her. I see this as a decision, not something that "happens" to you.

The morality of loving a certain person must be considered here. If I am attracted to an unsuitable love object, is it my decision to back away or be drawn in?

This is surely an issue for certain groups who think that homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice." I do not see it that way because I think that humans are born on a broad spectrum of sexuality, from super masculine to super feminine. There is a long line from one end to the other, and there are surely many people hovering in the mid-range of that spectrum.

There are many issues here that can be talked about.
0 Replies