Is homosexuality a bad thing?

Wilso

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 05:15 am
I'm not gay. It doesn't concern me one way or another really. But when I hear about guys who hate gays, and brag about how much they'd like to bash them etc, I'd love to get them alone in a room with Ian Roberts. The first Rugby League player to "come out". About 6'4, 17 odd stone, and would scare the sh!t out of me (not in itself a difficult thing to do).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 05:16 am
sozobe wrote:
Oh, there have been studies about that and stuff. That people bond when there is a common enemy. I think it's very true. (I think Bush has taken that concept and run with it, for example...)

There is something that I always liked to say, (tipping my hat to Orson Welles).

"Do you know how to secure world peace? Make people believe that we are being invaded by Martians!!!"
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 08:22 am
To quote

RaceDriver205 wrote:
To clarify (and this wasnt clear), the remark about wierdos was a separate example (gays are weirdos was not meant to be implied).

So, you're saying they're weirdoes? Still kinda offensive, don't you think? (If not to me, to them at least).

Now, lets just slowly go through this passage, shall we?
Separate example means that It was not a reference to the rest of the post. The remark about me not wanting to be near wierdos has been interpreted as being "gays are wierdos and I dont want to be near them". This was not stated, but was infered on the grounds of its close proximity to the gay statements - WHICH I HAVE CLARIFIED (and i state this again) was not meant to be the case.

Now I want you to look at how illogical your and my statements look together:

Me: "gays are weirdos" was not meant to be implied
You: "So, you're saying they're weirdoes? Still kinda offensive, don't you think?"

To provide you with better insight I present you with a 'corrected' version:
Me: "i dont want to be near gays, and I dont want to be near wierdos, where gay is not equal to wierdo"
You:"I understand, if a you say you like blue cars and you say you like red cars, this does not mean red is actually blue"
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 08:36 am
To RaceDriver205.

Um, yeah, I kinda misread your post. Sorry about that. I was in a rush. Will you accept my sincerest of apologies?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:05 am
Respect to Wolf for his last post.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:07 pm
lol, sure thing wolf. No worries.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:29 pm
Very Happy

Can we hold hands now, pass around a good doobie and sing that Coca Cola commercial song...?
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:20 am
Disrespect to you for that last post.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:36 pm
Lash wrote:
Very Happy

Can we hold hands now, pass around a good doobie and sing that Coca Cola commercial song...?

Pass it over here girl!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:03 am
What is a doobie and do we have to sing the Coca Cola Theme Song? Are you that addicted to the stuff? Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:03 am
Silly.

It is supposed to be a reference to a goofy, hippy peace commercial in the seventies.

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...

Were you too young to see that commercial?

Smugness to RaceDriver for that last post.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
Lash wrote:
Silly.

It is supposed to be a reference to a goofy, hippy peace commercial in the seventies.

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony...

Were you too young to see that commercial?

Smugness to RaceDriver for that last post.

Since you said the Seventies, I'm guessing... Hm, yes. Yes I was too young to see the commercial. About -20 years or so.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:16 am
<shakes head>

This is sad. I have to give up twenty years of really cool references.

OK, sorry. I was happy peace had been reached.

<brainstorms for younger references...>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:22 am
http://www.geocities.com/holidaysfun/teachworld.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'd_Like_to_Teach_the_World_to_Sing

Quote:
I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony)" is a pop song which originated as an advertising jingle, produced by Billy Davis and sung by The New Seekers, for Coca-Cola, and was featured in a 1971 as a TV commercial. The commercial featured young people from around the world singing on a hilltop, and was so popular that the song (without the Coke references) became a hit in its own right. Commercial recordings as a pop-song were issued by The New Seekers and The Hillside Singers.

In the commercial, the lead singer and the people surrounding her were filmed in isolation, and never met (or sang with) any of the hundreds of young people represented in the final version of the ad.

For all you young'uns, who never heard of this song, or its history!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:43 am
Lash wrote:
<shakes head>

This is sad. I have to give up twenty years of really cool references.

OK, sorry. I was happy peace had been reached.

<brainstorms for younger references...>

Don't bother. If you can explain it, it's fine.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
By the way, the Gay Greek Group (lol) was called The Sacred Band of Thebes, an army of 150 homosexual couples. It is said that the rest of the Theban army fled under the overwhelming power of Alexander and Phillip's forces but the band held their ground and two-hundred and fifty-four died where they stood. (notice they died in pairs, morbidly romantic) Though Plutarch wrote that three-hundred died, the mass grave where Philip buried them held two-hundred and fifty four skeletons. (The rest apparently were only badly hurt)

""Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."

These were the words of Philip upon realizing who they were.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Sacredbandmemorialchaeronea.jpg

And this is the monument he raised in their name.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
I don't have problems with homosexuals if they keep their relation just for their self. Child adoption by them and this kind of things are just insane!

As for the ideas of the pseudo-progressives about homosexuality in Greece, I have this: http://www.grecoreport.com/debunking_the_myth_of_homosexuality_in_ancient_greece.htm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:14 pm
Why is child adoption insane?

(Interesting historical tidbit, Eryemil, thanks.)
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Why is child adoption insane?

(Interesting historical tidbit, Eryemil, thanks.)

It's a very compelling historical account Sozobe, I think it'd make a great movie.

Ellinas wrote:
I don't have problems with homosexuals if they keep their relation just for their self. Child adoption by them and this kind of things are just insane!

Ellinas, you know one of the things that really angers me about bigots? They are, for the most part, cowards.

I admire people that no matter how much the world disagrees with them, are able to stand up and voice their opinion. Don't think for a second that hiding behind banalities like 'I don't have a problem with homosexuals' in any way prevents your true nature from shining through.

*edit* Oh, and please next time do try and contribute something of worth to the threads you post in, for our sake.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
Ellinas, Have you thought about the basis for such anger and bias? It is ignorance. Perhaps human sexuality is on a curve from very masculine to very feminine. Some end up at the extreme reaches (we can all find a few examples here) but most of us are a few, or quite a few, points along on the spectrum. There is probably a middle area where masculine-feminine gets hazy and could go either way.

There have been studies done, some with twins, that show gender trends to be inherent from the earliest months of life. Why would we not make allowances and accept different lifestyles for people who are born in the wrong body?
0 Replies