Is homosexuality a bad thing?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:48 pm
@snood,
Snood.. Rex and I are at contretemps now, I forget why, oh, yes, his bizarre diet ideas (from my view, and mine from his). I take it now after some years as a given that his posts are emotional. The 'authoritative place' is one of his ways (and the ways of many of the rest of us, clothed in words or not). We could talk about the value or devalue of emotion some other place.

Anyway, hawkeye's view takes me by surprise. What a disconcerting tie down for such a purported adventurous thinker.
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:58 pm
@moogly bear,
moogly bear wrote:

I don't think so, but I'm never really understood why people hate it so much, so I'm wondering if anyone can justify their opinions through logic.

Homophobia is linked to organised religion. Organised religion is the tool of ruling elites. It allows a policeman to be put inside every man's head. Much more cost effective than overt oppression.

Such psychological policing of the people tends to take advantage of primary behaviours. Thus, it is no surprise that sexual behaviour is extremely regulated by organised religion. Homosexuality potentially represents a form of sexual behaviour that lies outside the capacity of religion to easily regulate and so has historically tended to be viciously suppressed in many, though not all civilisations. Monotheistic religions have tended to be the most vicious of all when if comes to persecuting homosexuals. I guess this may be to do with the complete prescriptiveness embodied in such types of religions
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:16 pm
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

moogly bear wrote:

I don't think so, but I'm never really understood why people hate it so much, so I'm wondering if anyone can justify their opinions through logic.

Homophobia is linked to organised religion. Organised religion is the tool of ruling elites. It allows a policeman to be put inside every man's head. Much more cost effective than overt oppression.

Such psychological policing of the people tends to take advantage of primary behaviours. Thus, it is no surprise that sexual behaviour is extremely regulated by organised religion. Homosexuality potentially represents a form of sexual behaviour that lies outside the capacity of religion to easily regulate and so has historically tended to be viciously suppressed in many, though not all civilisations. Monotheistic religions have tended to be the most vicious of all when if comes to persecuting homosexuals. I guess this may be to do with the complete prescriptiveness embodied in such types of religions

I neglected to mention my own attitude to homosexuality since this was part of the OP's question. Personally, I couldn't give a rat's arse what two or more consenting humans wish to do with their dangly bits and where thay may or may not wish to put them. If they love one another into the bargain, so much the better.

In the case of male homosexuality in particular, if anything I'm rather glad of it as it means a big ugly bugger like me has less competition....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Good post, Osso.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:17 am
@elloello,
elloello wrote:

In Islam there is pretty much a reason for everything. Men can marry up to four women - if they can do justice to them all - reason being, there are more then four times the amount of women in this world then men. Logically this could prevent things like prostitution. As far as being gay - We are supposed to be superior beings in this planet but the fact is, not even animals commit homosexual acts. When we look at the purpose of the creation of men and women it is simply to create children that will live on their legacy. The emotion that entangles in this purpose can be bad or good. In my opinion giving birth to a new life is the greatest thing anyone can achieve in their life time. As the acceptance of homosexuality grows it will become more and more common in our daily life. Children that have been left for adoption will end up in the care of homosexuals whereas the purpose of creation will be defied and that is the point in time where the true essence of humanity will perish Smile

What is our essence ? Certainly not total surrender to a Mohammed's Ideal Brave New World ? No Utopia for me... Bugger Off U Sod
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:23 am
@elloello,
elloello wrote:

In Islam there is pretty much a reason for everything. Men can marry up to four women - if they can do justice to them all - reason being, there are more then four times the amount of women in this world then men. Logically this could prevent things like prostitution. As far as being gay - We are supposed to be superior beings in this planet but the fact is, not even animals commit homosexual acts. When we look at the purpose of the creation of men and women it is simply to create children that will live on their legacy. The emotion that entangles in this purpose can be bad or good. In my opinion giving birth to a new life is the greatest thing anyone can achieve in their life time. As the acceptance of homosexuality grows it will become more and more common in our daily life. Children that have been left for adoption will end up in the care of homosexuals whereas the purpose of creation will be defied and that is the point in time where the true essence of humanity will perish Smile

As I was saying folks, the origins of homophobia can be found in organsised religion. Particularly, the monotheistic ones.

F*cking looneys
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:29 am
What really casues me to piss myself laughing, though, is when I reflect on the fact if these religious looneys got their way, all homosexuality would be supressed. If we make the assumption, as the science seems to indicates, that homosexuality has a strong genetic component to it, then the supression of it will casue such individuals to go on to have unhappy heterosexual marriages where they have children. Children who will also inherit a behavioural tendency towards homosexuality.

Thus, by repressing homosexuality, organised religion actually serves to increase its prevelance.

Laughing .....Oh, the irony....

As I said, nasty little religious looneys who skrew up people's lives
William

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
Homosexuality is a bad word. Homo is a word for human; a man and a woman and homoloving is a not even a word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet. But it seems both are participating in all kinds of behavior all of which are not life giving, loving or caring. And that is a very, very bad thing..................Period.

There is no such thing as a homogenized human being. To make uniform in consistency is impossible. I suggest everyone stay to themselves until you all know better. Let’s hope you don’t end, as you know it, first.

William
stevecook172001

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:32 am
@William,
William wrote:

Homosexuality is a bad word. Homo is a word for human; a man and a woman and homoloving is a not even a word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet. But it seems both are participating in all kinds of behavior all of which are not life giving, loving or caring. And that is a very, very bad thing..................Period.

There is no such thing as a homogenized human being. To make uniform in consistency is impossible. I suggest everyone stay to themselves until you all know better. Let’s hope you don’t end, as you know it, first.

William

what the bleeding hell are you on about?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:36 am
@stevecook172001,
I totally agree. Is there no privacy left under Monotheistic Religions ?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 04:54 am
@moogly bear,
moogly bear wrote:

Where logic is concerned, can homosexuality be objectified? In calling homosexuality a "thing" which could be good or bad, are we not commiting a logical fallacy? As for myself, with no other factors given, I can only come to the conclusion that homosexuality is logically neither good nor bad.

Incidentally, if you seriously do not understand why people hate homosexuality, I envy your innocence.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:22 am
So no one here has ever been horrified at another's sexual preferences? I am amazed, we are all by either instinct or nurture opposed to the idea of certain sexual activity. Just as homosexuals would be against the idea of certain sexual activities, so are we. Its no good denying these feelings. Its not your feelings, its how you react to them and your treatment of those who oppose your ideas on what sexual activities you find acceptable. I have met scores of males who would never openly condemn homosexuality or treat homosexuals with any prejudice but will squirm at the idea of two men kissing. Lets be honest about this please.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:32 am
@xris,
i DID NOT KISS R YEARS...
xris

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:39 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
kiss what? who?
aidan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:48 am
@xris,
Reading back and forth between this thread and the atheism thread is very entertaining.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
You've got William espousing the new (to me) theory that homo=human and Pepijn Sweep speaking his own particular dialect and then the honestly confused posters trying to make sense of any of it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

But a series of posts on that Atheism thread about homosexuality and marriage sort of reminded me of something that I think can be bad when it comes to sexuality - not homosexuality or heterosexuality in and of themselves as concepts, rather more about how/why they are expressed.
I think it always ends badly when someone pretends or tries to be something they're not.
In other words, if you're homosexual trying to pretend to be heterosexual that's probably bad. And I guess it's less common, but if there were heterosexuals pretending to be homosexual - that'd be bad too.
xris

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:11 am
@aidan,
It has caused my family many problems certain people denying their sexuality. Two in my family have suffered when their marriages collapsed through their partners not be honest with themselves before getting married. Im sure every one has heard of women or men using marriage to try a reaffirm a doubted preference. Honesty is essential, I have had to admit I'm a lesbian in a mans body but it was no surprise to my wife.
aidan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:12 am
@xris,
It's one thing to find something unappetizing or unappealing yourself and another to be horrified at someone else doing it.

I wouldn't be interested in lesbian sex - but it doesn't horrify me to think of other women doing it.

Just like - I don't eat lamb but it doesn't surprise of horrify me that someone else might in fact love eating lamb.
You know?
xris

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:16 am
@aidan,
So I dont stand a chance with you , I'm a lesbian with sheep skin coat on.

I think homosexuals must have the same feelings as us when considering sex with a member of the opposite sex.
Pepijn Sweep

@xris,
I am so glad. I am with a friend I trust. We are honest more & Moore; sometime embarrashment will keep U from honesty. I love Xris but I would prefer not to have more physical contact than a handshake or a hug (?) . It also depends on Xris preferences, and his wifes liberal thoughts on the subject. Maybe trip to Scilly ? Cool Laughing Razz
aidan

@xris,
Quote:
I have had to admit I'm a lesbian in a mans body but it was no surprise to my wife.

How does that manifest itself then? Laughing Laughing
Just kidding - I think I know what you mean-I'm just trying to figure out the- oh never mind...

Yeah - I have a good friend who found out that her father had been actively gay the whole time he was married to her mother...she found this out when she was an adult! Talk about betrayal of trust- it's deeply, deeply affected her in her relationships in a negative way.
0 Replies