Is the story of Adam and Even real...or allegory?

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
No. Strings in string theory do not have to be parallel lines.
Don't spoil my fun!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:12 pm
RexRed wrote:
Animals are part of the physical death before Eden
There was no physical death before Eden.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
I can understand why one could read the bible and, without meditating on its meaning, might conclude that God is brutal, misogynistic and homophobic. But I can't for the life of me understand why one could read and not conclude the God described therein could be limited by any necessity or that he does not posess free will

I am uncertain that you actually meant what you wrote. A careful and thoughtful reading of the old testament shows the god of the ancient Jews to be racist, sexist, elitist, homophobic and a murderously vicious and vengeful being. Additionally, you go on to write: ". . . and not conclude the God described therein could be limited by any necessity or that he does not posess free will" You meant to assert that the god of the old testament can be limited by any necessity and does not possess free will?

This part of your response seems confused, and i suspect does not say what you had intended it to say.

Precisely the strongest reason for not believing the old testament to be anything more than the perfervid maunderings of ignorant and supersitious nomadic tribesmen is the very puerile and vicious nature of the diety described therein. When that is coupled with the rather obvious polytheism textually evident before the return from the Babylonian captivity, at which time it appears the Hebrews imbibed Aryan monothesism from the Pharsee and Meda--the Persians--it seems all too painfully obvious that the bible is a collection of superstitious tales, ill-considered and never edited. The amount of contradiction and absurdity is sufficient to indict the document as flawed, and to demolish any attempt to describe it as the inerrant revealed truth of any description of deity.

Your reference to what one might conclude having read but failed to meditate upon the meaning of the document suggests that it is not what it seems, and that one is obliged to extract from it a meaning which is not apparent on the face of the text. That is a call for obscure, particularist and idiosyncratic exegesis--which in my never humble opinion is booking a cruise down the primrose-bordered path to theological lunacy.

The old testament is an account of what happened and how so called "holy men of God" saw and understood God... It is most likely true to fact and very revealing to us today... It is the Christ in us today that is the reason why our eyes are open to the brutality of such a legal travesty of justice... Let us not forget the love of Christ.

Was this God that made these laws to the Hebrews? Maybe it was... Maybe and most likely these Hebrew people were the best the world had to offer as pitiful as often they were. They were far from perfect but they were all God had to work with (due to the original sin). God saw the future and knew ahead that his ultimate plan would be met through the Hebrews and that was enough.

So what part Set would you like to edit out? The parts about human frailty, weakness and social division caused by overbearing legalistic emphasis? I think it is a very telling example of intolerance and triumph and stands to be an example for a long time to come of how we never want to become as a society and what we can attain.

Yet it is a subjective tale of times that are displaced by millennia. Much of the Bible's meaning is rooted in spiritualism, the occult and mysticism. It is very difficult to really understand it the way it was understood some six thousand years ago.

The justification for times of old came in the new testament where the messiah a man Jesus of the house of David crowned the world with grace over law, liberty over law.

So law lost it's emphasis in culture... and this was a good thing.

It united people. Thus, the most diverse can be the most united.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:22 pm
I don't intend to answer your stupidity here, Rex. You have willfully added text to the quote of my post which was not in the original post. You have willfully misrepresente4d what i wrote.

I have reported your post to the moderators as an attack on another member and have asked that it be removed from the thread.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:22 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Are you telling me parallel lines don't exist? Smile

Then what are strings in the string theory?

Parallel lines maybe?

No. Strings in string theory do not have to be parallel lines.

Well how is God going to strum the "strings" if they are not on a parallel plane?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:23 pm
neologist wrote:
Anyway:

It's not a guess, Frank. It's what I know.

Oh really...once again. You know there is a god...and you know the very worst the god has to offer.

Please!

All you theists seem to KNOW so many things...and so many are different from what other theists know. Why don't you folks finally grow up...and acknowledge what you do not know.

Quote:

Oh, wait. You appear to actually know something which is not a guess:

I know plenty of things that are not guesses. Is your ignorance so great that you think agnostics cannot know anything?

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
That is not the very worst.
Tell us what you know, Frank. I thought you guessed everything. :wink:

I do not guess at everything.

And in this case:

You originally said:
Quote:
If God exists, the worst thing that could happen to me would be my eventual death and return to nothingness.

But others have made guesses that "if a god exists" the god could make things much, much worse for people after death than simply returning to nothingness.

Therefore...your statement is presumptuous...and incorrect.

But I know you are too concrete headed to acknowledge that...and you will continue to insist that what you blindly guess...and disguise by calling it what you believe...is actually what you know...and is the reality.

You folks are so petty...but you have such a petty god...you really have to be excused. Bad role model...and all that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:25 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Wrote:

"Believing" is simply the word theists use when they are blindly guessing about the unknown.

Comment:

Frank all logic is based on guesses AND believing...

Hypothesis:
Will the sky fall today?

Statement:
The sky won't fall today

Reason:
Because it hasn't fallen yet and the odds thereof are rather good...

Therefore: The sky won't fall today.

Comment:

Due to this reasoning process (I believe first detailed by Euclid) hypothesis is built upon hypothesis.

You are saying you don't have a hypothesis? I am saying I have many and they are based on observable logic containing often several statements and reasons, they end in a therefore...

Comment: Somewhere between the hypothesis and the therefore is believing...

As statements and reasons build they often credibly answer the the basic hypothesis.

This is not only the basis of "true" biblical thought but also all other scientific disciplines.

I would hope it is the basis of your own logical systems.

I'll stand by what I said originally, thank you. But thank you for the rationalization. It was entertaining, Rex.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
I don't intend to answer your stupidity here, Rex. You have willfully added text to the quote of my post which was not in the original post. You have willfully misrepresente4d what i wrote.

I have reported your post to the moderators as an attack on another member and have asked that it be removed from the thread.

Not willfully, accidentally.. I will repost and correct the error.

Then you might forgive my error and respond please...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:34 pm
RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
I can understand why one could read the bible and, without meditating on its meaning, might conclude that God is brutal, misogynistic and homophobic. But I can't for the life of me understand why one could read and not conclude the God described therein could be limited by any necessity or that he does not posess free will

I am uncertain that you actually meant what you wrote. A careful and thoughtful reading of the old testament shows the god of the ancient Jews to be racist, sexist, elitist, homophobic and a murderously vicious and vengeful being. Additionally, you go on to write: ". . . and not conclude the God described therein could be limited by any necessity or that he does not posess free will" You meant to assert that the god of the old testament can be limited by any necessity and does not possess free will?

This part of your response seems confused, and i suspect does not say what you had intended it to say.

Precisely the strongest reason for not believing the old testament to be anything more than the perfervid maunderings of ignorant and supersitious nomadic tribesmen is the very puerile and vicious nature of the diety described therein. When that is coupled with the rather obvious polytheism textually evident before the return from the Babylonian captivity, at which time it appears the Hebrews imbibed Aryan monothesism from the Pharsee and Meda--the Persians--it seems all too painfully obvious that the bible is a collection of superstitious tales, ill-considered and never edited. The amount of contradiction and absurdity is sufficient to indict the document as flawed, and to demolish any attempt to describe it as the inerrant revealed truth of any description of deity.

Your reference to what one might conclude having read but failed to meditate upon the meaning of the document suggests that it is not what it seems, and that one is obliged to extract from it a meaning which is not apparent on the face of the text. That is a call for obscure, particularist and idiosyncratic exegesis--which in my never humble opinion is booking a cruise down the primrose-bordered path to theological lunacy.

Was this God that made these laws to the Hebrews? Maybe it was... Maybe and most likely these Hebrew people were the best the world had to offer as pitiful as often they were. They were far from perfect but they were all God had to work with (due to the original sin). God saw the future and knew ahead that his ultimate plan would be met through the Hebrews and that was enough.

So what part Set would you like to edit out? The parts about human frailty, weakness and social division caused by overbearing legalistic emphasis? I think it is a very telling example of intolerance and triumph and stands to be an example for a long time to come of how we never want to become as a society and what we can attain.

Yet it is a subjective tale of times that are displaced by millennia. Much of the Bible's meaning is rooted in spiritualism, the occult and mysticism. It is very difficult to really understand it the way it was understood some six thousand years ago.

The justification for times of old came in the new testament where the messiah a man Jesus of the house of David crowned the world with grace over law, liberty over law.

So law lost it's emphasis in culture... and this was a good thing.

It united people. Thus, the most diverse can be the most united.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:46 pm
No, i don't intend to repsond. Not only did you originally willfully misrepresent what i had written, you respond as though absolutely nothing which i wrote--in response to Neo and not to any of the crap you normally post--had sunk in with you. It is obvious from the outset that i don't accept any of your idiotic premises--least of all that the Hebrews were "the best the world had to offer." They were the hillbillies of the middle east. There was virtually no other people in the middle east as ignorant and superstitious at that time.

You keep your idiotic fantasies to yourself.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:09 pm
The Hebrews were goat herders and part-time bandits.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, i don't intend to repsond. Not only did you originally willfully misrepresent what i had written, you respond as though absolutely nothing which i wrote--in response to Neo and not to any of the crap you normally post--had sunk in with you. It is obvious from the outset that i don't accept any of your idiotic premises--least of all that the Hebrews were "the best the world had to offer." They were the hillbillies of the middle east. There was virtually no other people in the middle east as ignorant and superstitious at that time.

You keep your idiotic fantasies to yourself.

First off, you can think what the hell you want. That is your own illusion...

And, as long as this is still a public "forum" I think I will share my idiotic fantasies with others. But you can keep your rotten stinkin' attitude... That I will not share in common with you or anyone else.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
Also Set, when you don't respond intelligently to and argument... YOU LOSE....
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:00 pm
Set,

Honestly, I was going to sandwich (initially several) my quotes into yours and Neo's post in the color red as is my custom manner. Then at nearly the last minute (because my first reply was getting long) I decided all I wanted to do really was remark on was the first part of the discussion. So I deleted my red quotes and cut my rough draft out of your quotes deleted the remainder of yours and Neo's discussion and pasted my new remark below.
Inadvertently I missed my first paragraph when I did the cut.

I continued to refine what I had written below and then I posted it. I did not check what you had written because I had already read it.

I can understand you not liking to hear my words contributed as your own because we may indeed have quite varying opinions.

Yet, I can only think by your (in my estimation) over reaction, that it was not due to the error in my posting my words as yours but more on the content of the argument that you would rather "avoid"...

Clever ploy... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
talk72000 wrote:

A more and more commonly-held view among historians (who have no stake in promoting Judaism or Christianity) is that Jewish "Kings" such as Solomon ran a small-time "protection racket" with the caravans which plied the route from the head of the Red Sea and the Punic cites of Tyre and Sidon. That view sees the Phoenicians as tolerating some silly pretentions on the part of the Jews, so long as they protected the caravans on their rather brief trip overland. It would have been easier and made more sense from the Punic point of view to tolerate the Jews and pay them a modest fee rather than to be obliged to deal with tribal bandits, and to attempt to run them to ground in the Judean hills.

The measurements give for the Temple and Solomons palace are pathetically modest. The measurements for the original Temple in Jerusalem had a ground floor smaller than the main gun deck of an eighteenth century United States frigate such as Constitution. Only in the eyes of the Hebrews and the self-deluded minds of modern Christians does a silly expression such as "Solomon in all his glory" resonate. Basically, they were the Semitic hillbillies of their time and region.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:39 pm
Setanta wrote:
talk72000 wrote:

A more and more commonly-held view among historians (who have no stake in promoting Judaism or Christianity) is that Jewish "Kings" such as Solomon ran a small-time "protection racket" with the caravans which plied the route from the head of the Red Sea and the Punic cites of Tyre and Sidon. That view sees the Phoenicians as tolerating some silly pretentions on the part of the Jews, so long as they protected the caravans on their rather brief trip overland. It would have been easier and made more sense from the Punic point of view to tolerate the Jews and pay them a modest fee rather than to be obliged to deal with tribal bandits, and to attempt to run them to ground in the Judean hills.

The measurements give for the Temple and Solomons palace are pathetically modest. The measurements for the original Temple in Jerusalem had a ground floor smaller than the main gun deck of an eighteenth century United States frigate such as Constitution. Only in the eyes of the Hebrews and the self-deluded minds of modern Christians does a silly expression such as "Solomon in all his glory" resonate. Basically, they were the Semitic hillbillies of their time and region.

Ohhhh...are you gonna be in trouble with their god, Set.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
Chumly wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Dogs don't die for sin
Then why do they die?
Good question. But so far as I can find, only humans were given the prospect of everlasting life. Perhaps because only humans are mentally able to comprehend indefinite time.

Is this important?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Chumly wrote:
RexRed wrote:
One must associate life with God before an afterlife can be predicated likewise.
Why? See if you can do it without quoting the bible.
This presents an interesting conundrum for religionists and non believers alike, for here is one place where wishful thinking has trumped reason:

When you are dead, you are dead. Period.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
RexRed wrote:
One must associate life with God before an afterlife can be predicated likewise.
Why? See if you can do it without quoting the bible.
This presents an interesting conundrum for religionists and non believers alike, for here is one place where wishful thinking has trumped reason:

When you are dead, you are dead. Period.

And you know this because...

....because...

...ahhhh...

...do you actually know this...or are is this just another of those wild guesses you try to peddle as knowledge?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:31 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Dogs don't die for sin
Then why do they die?
Good question. But so far as I can find, only humans were given the prospect of everlasting life.
No that's not true. The Bible clearly states that there was no death of humans, or animals (including dinosaurs) before Adam sinned. Hence animals did have everlasting life. The bible teaches that the actions of one man, Adam brought death into the world and that the entire creation has suffered the consequences.
neologist wrote:
Perhaps because only humans are mentally able to comprehend indefinite time.
On what do you base this conjecture, given it's not in the bible?
neologist wrote:
Is this important?
In as much as if one was to be a believer, a reasonable man would need to know why dogs die.
0 Replies