2
   

Is the story of Adam and Even real...or allegory?

 
 
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:24 am
I am engaged in a discussion with Hephzibah in another thread.

We were discussing the story of Adam and Eve and the happenings in Eden, when I asked the following question:

Quote:
In your opinion, are we dealing with allegory in this particular story...or are we dealing with "what is?" Do you consider this to be the way humanity was created...and that the first man and woman were actually placed in a garden with this tree we are discussing...or is this merely an allegory...a mythology of ancient peoples?


She replied:

Quote:
I believe this story is the truth, not a myth. Not something made up by a bunch of ancient people trying to explain existance or how we were created.


To be certain I understood her correctly, I followed up with:

Quote:
Just to be sure I understand you...

...you think the story as stated is the way humanity came into existence...and you think the god that created the world made humans the way described...and put them into a physical place (Eden) under the conditions stated...and that human existence proceeded from that point as described in the Bible?


I'm not sure how she is going to respond, (I'll ask her to post her response here) but I thought I'd take this opportunity to begin a thread dealing with the issue.


Who among the theists here (who accept the Bible as a special book of God) think the story of Adam and Eve in Eden...and the associated stories in Eden...represent the truth...the actuallity...the way that humans were created and the way the god of the Bible first interacted with them?

Who among you think it is merely allegory?

I'd enjoy discussing it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 16,591 • Replies: 449
No top replies

 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:29 am
Heph's response to my follow up question was succinct:

"Yes."


I've invited her to stop by.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:40 am
Frank,

Wow. I can see you are picking up your career right where you left off! Laughing

I am restraining myself (literally) from engaging in the discussions, Frank, because we have had them somewhat and I think everyone watching is extremely interested in you and Helpzibah discussing these issues. We are all pretty much letting you two of you carry the show.

So, I will just do my WA2K-F commentary, if that's ok? If not, just say so. No problem.

Frank, can you suggest a co-anchor? I think I have to fire Mesquite. He fell asleep on the job yesterday and then he just flat out disappearred! Shocked
0 Replies
 
material girl
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:41 am
If somebody today said 'this baby just appeared one day' would we beleive it/
Doesnt it sound unlikely and dare i say, crazy?

I beleive there is a strong possibility that years ago we had powers, eg moving things with our mind, I think its possible the egyptions built the pyramids moving the stones by mind power.These gifts we have just forgotton how to use.

With regards to just creating a world,universe, planet, people etc I dont think God created it.What was he doing before it all existed?
0 Replies
 
Treya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:41 am
Ok, I'm here. I'm moving forwards not backwards. So what would you like to discuss Frank?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
Real.

I'll be back tonight. Meantimes a bookmark.
0 Replies
 
Treya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:59 am
good deal.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:00 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Wow. I can see you are picking up your career right where you left off! Laughing

I am restraining myself (literally) from engaging in the discussions, Frank, because we have had them somewhat and I think everyone watching is extremely interested in you and Helpzibah discussing these issues. We are all pretty much letting you two of you carry the show.

So, I will just do my WA2K-F commentary, if that's ok? If not, just say so. No problem.

Frank, can you suggest a co-anchor? I think I have to fire Mesquite. He fell asleep on the job yesterday and then he just flat out disappearred! Shocked


This is open to everyone, MA...I hope you discuss your take on the matter.
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:03 am
hephzibah wrote:
Ok, I'm here. I'm moving forwards not backwards. So what would you like to discuss Frank?


To be honest...I just wanted you to know about this thread. I am much, much, much more interested in the other thread...and I would prefer to deal with that one right now.

This thread is an aside...created just so that we do not get sidetracked in the other one.

I'll have more to say on this issue here...later...

...and in the other thread at an appropriate time.

In the other thread, I do want you to tell me more about the "choice" you think your god gave to Adam and Eve.
0 Replies
 
Treya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
I responded. Sorry, I should have told you.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
I'm thinking about it, but honestly, I'm more interested in the other thread also Frank. I think most of us are.
0 Replies
 
Steve 41oo
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
Well would you Adam and Eve it?
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:06 pm
Steve,

Uh, were you speaking to me? And, if you are, HUH? Laughing
0 Replies
 
Steve 41oo
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:35 pm
The expression Adam and Eve it is cockney rhyming slang

(not a very good one)

better is I'll have a cup of Rosy

Rosy Lee = Tea

or mind me titfer

titfa tat = hat

and one that I am particularly fond of (because I made it up)

a nice drop of Gertrude

Gertrude Stein = wine.

oh and

adam and eve it

= believe it.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:38 pm
LOL. Okay, gotcha! Laughing
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
I would have hoped you were kidding, Frank...but it seems not.
0 Replies
 
Pauligirl
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
Re: Is the story of Adam and Even real...or allegory?
Frank Apisa wrote:
I am engaged in a discussion with Hephzibah in another thread.

We were discussing the story of Adam and Eve and the happenings in Eden, when I asked the following question:

Quote:
In your opinion, are we dealing with allegory in this particular story...or are we dealing with "what is?" Do you consider this to be the way humanity was created...and that the first man and woman were actually placed in a garden with this tree we are discussing...or is this merely an allegory...a mythology of ancient peoples?


She replied:

Quote:
I believe this story is the truth, not a myth. Not something made up by a bunch of ancient people trying to explain existance or how we were created.


To be certain I understood her correctly, I followed up with:

Quote:
Just to be sure I understand you...

...you think the story as stated is the way humanity came into existence...and you think the god that created the world made humans the way described...and put them into a physical place (Eden) under the conditions stated...and that human existence proceeded from that point as described in the Bible?


I'm not sure how she is going to respond, (I'll ask her to post her response here) but I thought I'd take this opportunity to begin a thread dealing with the issue.


Who among the theists here (who accept the Bible as a special book of God) think the story of Adam and Eve in Eden...and the associated stories in Eden...represent the truth...the actuallity...the way that humans were created and the way the god of the Bible first interacted with them?

Who among you think it is merely allegory?

I'd enjoy discussing it.


Well, I'm not a believer, but to the folks that take it as truth, it ought to raise a large question about God's omnipotence. Did he not know what was going to happen?
P
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:08 pm
Pauligirl,

Who said He didn't know what was going to happen? Of course He knew. He knows everything. Didn't you know that? :wink:
0 Replies
 
lightfoot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
Ma... so you say, prove it.
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:11 pm
Prove it? Shocked Uh, lightfoot, it ain't about proof. It's about faith. :wink:
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is the story of Adam and Even real...or allegory?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 07/30/2021 at 02:27:01