Is the story of Adam and Even real...or allegory?

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:21 pm
If God knew Adam and Eve were going to fail, even set them up to fail, that would make him the cause of their sin; and their punishment, rather than being justly deserved as a consequence of willful rebellion, is instead the torture of innocents by a despicable tyrant.

This is, however, apparently what many believe the bible says.

Well, I don't believe in that god,either.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:19 am
So, is your god omnipotent?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:04 am
Neo's god, if I am not mistaken, tempers his omnicience with the nebulous concept of freewill.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:21 am
BM
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
InfraBlue wrote:
So, is your god omnipotent?
Doktor S wrote:
Neo's god, if I am not mistaken, tempers his omnicience with the nebulous concept of freewill.
The idea of God not having free will doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

His name, Jehovah, means 'he who causes to become'.
0 Replies

Zipp City US of A

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:37 am
believers are healthier and happier than non believers
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:03 am
Zipp City US of A wrote:
believers are healthier and happier than non believers

Studies have shown that to be true, indeed.

However, I think this is a case of "ignorance is bliss".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
If any of you are interested in following the discussion Heph and I are having on the Adam and Eve story...you might want to pick up that thread at...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70203&start=90
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
Yeah- -talking snake, nekkid and ignorant, punished for generations for a simple mistake in judgement, finally offered salvation by scourged nailed up bleeding Christ, he born of a virgin- Sounds perfectly thought out and researched to me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:30 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Yeah- -talking snake, nekkid and ignorant, punished for generations for a simple mistake in judgement, finally offered salvation by scourged nailed up bleeding Christ, he born of a virgin- Sounds perfectly thought out and researched to me.

You have a way with words, Edgar.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
Believers in what? I don't believe they seriously know what they believe in, it being a total abstraction. A blind faith. Happier or sappier?

And it wasn't Adam and Eve, it was Cowboy Adam and Cowboy Steve.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
Lightwizard,

I hate to burst your fur bubble there but I do happen to know what I believe in. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:45 pm
You know "him" personally? I do hope you aren't engaging in conversation like President 34% Bush, the one-step ex alcoholic.

No bubble has been burst.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:56 pm
LOL. Good about the bubbles. Do I know Him personally? Yes, Lightwizard, I do. I have a personal relationship with Him. However, does He speak to me like me talking to Him face to face. No. He speaks to my heart and my conscience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:59 pm
Your heart and conscience have ears. That's a curious anatomy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
(AND I think we should return to the subject before Frank believes were are hijacking his thread for a fruitless endeavor).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
LOL. Good one Lightwizard.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING.

Just pretend that's scrolling along the bottom of your screen. :wink:
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Pauligirl,

Who said He didn't know what was going to happen? Of course He knew. He knows everything. Didn't you know that? :wink:

So, God actually caused man to sin by placing a restriction upon him which served no other purpose but to cause him to sin? And then punished all humankind for it.

Wow.
P
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:19 pm
the "original sin" bit along with "he gave his only begotten son" bit are the two most inane concepts of christianity, inane enough to totally destroy the believability of the entire "religion."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:29 pm
neologist wrote:
If God knew Adam and Eve were going to fail, even set them up to fail, that would make him the cause of their sin; and their punishment, rather than being justly deserved as a consequence of willful rebellion, is instead the torture of innocents by a despicable tyrant.

This is, however, apparently what many believe the bible says.

Well, I don't believe in that god,either.
How can you then assert (assuming you do) that your god is all powerful and all knowing and omnipotent?

Further if you claim that he is all-powerful and all-knowing and omnipotent but simply dumbed himself down for this event, then by default he could not be all-powerful and all-knowing and omnipotent. Plus it still imputes that he had foreknowledge of the event in question, else why would he dumb himself down?
0 Replies