Is this board anti-muslim?

SlotyPrincess

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
Lash wrote:
ENDYMION wrote:
snood wrote:
I also think some people are so virulent in their criticism of religion and insulting towards religious people because they have anger issues, and religion and religious people are convenient targets.

Snood, how can you say that with that face?

People don't call nuns sheetheads do they?

raghead, towelhead, - these are racist terms. And anti-muslim feeling is everywhere, even in countries such as mine, where religion is less of an issue.

They call nuns penguins. There's a word for everyone.

Signed

Cracker Honkey
Those whom work at Muesums are called penguins.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 02:07 pm
snood wrote:
ENDYMION wrote:
ok. but I'm asking to talk to someone about islamic art, culture, history (which obviously involves the religion of Islam) without debate about God.

I mean, I'd like to talk about going to a mosque without talking about why.
Because I'm honestly interested in things like the painting from Manafi al-Hayawan (The usefulness of Animals) by Abu Sa'id Ubaud Allah ibn Bakhtishu from Iran
or the music of Mukhtar And Al-Saadi (Iraq)

I believe that the most beautiful arcitecture stands in the middle east and I'd also like some recipe ideas as I'm into spicy, north African food.

There. No mention of God.

Well then, you don't want to talk about Islam. You want to have a discussion about Middle Eastern Culture Excluding Islam.

Nonsense. Islam is a religion, but also has spawned, and comes with, a specifically Muslim culture, tradition, that formed over many centuries. You can discuss Muslim culture without discussing matters of theology, and where else to discuss it than on a forum about Islam. Similarly, if you want to discuss Russian Orthodox icons, you go to a forum about Russian Orthodoxy. Nothing weird or disingenuous about that. Here, those would all fall under "Religion".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
Can we all say H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E-S? Yes ALL and that includes me. Anytime anyone of us points out a flaw or character defect in another, we are just as guilty of it as they are because we are doing the exact same thing. Just as I am doing right now.

I am sure that most everyone that is posting in this thread has at least some inkling of what terms might be offensive to others. Some will use those terms even though they realize they might offend others and some won't. This is just the way it is.

So calling someone a term, which they know may offend another and obviously, doesn't care enough to not do it, is completely unnecessary and unacceptable IMO. It is further my opinion that if one continually does this then one's argument is continually reduced by a great measure. And yes, I've been guilty of it myself at times. So, most definitely, I am also included in this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
Sloty_Princess wrote:
Lash wrote:
ENDYMION wrote:
snood wrote:
I also think some people are so virulent in their criticism of religion and insulting towards religious people because they have anger issues, and religion and religious people are convenient targets.

Snood, how can you say that with that face?

People don't call nuns sheetheads do they?

raghead, towelhead, - these are racist terms. And anti-muslim feeling is everywhere, even in countries such as mine, where religion is less of an issue.

They call nuns penguins. There's a word for everyone.

Signed

Cracker Honkey
Those whom work at Muesums are called penguins.

Really? Just because they work at a museum?? Do you know the rationale?

However, this doesn't negate our penguin nuns. (Just want to make sure I stick up for the nuns... Laughing )

People, who go to other boards, telling other people A2K is going to hell, and think they are in so good with God ( Rolling Eyes ), that they need to mass a big, frothy, poor-spelling bunch of "Christians" to come save A2K is completely unnecessary and unacceptable to me, btw.

Different strokes.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:30 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I am sure that most everyone that is posting in this thread has at least some inkling of what terms might be offensive to others. Some will use those terms even though they realize they might offend others and some won't. This is just the way it is.

So calling someone a term, which they know may offend another and obviously, doesn't care enough to not do it, is completely unnecessary and unacceptable IMO.

Sounds logical to me. Not something to be legally regulated, but just a matter of common decency. The kind of thing you keep to if you're going to live together in the same community (whether that be a board or, rather, your country).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
Lash wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Lash wrote:
I don't know of any anti-Muslims here.

I've seen a few who call them towelheads. Do they count?

If they are referring to the entire Muslim population, I would think they may count.

If they used ANY word to intentionally demean an entire population of ANY group, that constitutes MY opinion of anti-somebody.

I don't subcribe to the Great Terminology Embargo, as I'm one of the silly ones, who actually thinks the meaning behind a word is what is the best indicator of a person's sentiment. On occasion, a term DOES reflect a racial or ethnic hatred. In MY case, towelhead was used against terrorists, which I said. I used several other words, as well. However, if you'd like to pretend that makes me a racist, you may with my blessings.

OK, the principle - correct me if I'm wrong - the principle behind this argument seems to be that no word should by itself be beyond the pale; and you can therefore use words of the raghead variety as long as you dont intend to demean an entire population group with it. If you intended to demean the entire population group in question, it would be (a variety of) racist, but if you use it to describe particular subsets or individuals it's OK.

Right?

Of course, according to the same logic, I could go around here calling people or groups of people, if not "nigger" (which has a rather unique status), then at least "coon", say - just so long as I would be able to clarify afterward that I didnt mean to be talking about all blacks, of course. Just those darned <example of specific reprehensible group of black people>, those be coons! Why should I not be allowed to use that word?

But would that really be where it's at? I mean, would any of you appreciate that, and not consider it wrong or unduly offensive?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:53 pm
Lash is just attemptin' some fancy footwork here because she is known to have used the term towel head before . . .
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:37 pm
To me, using such terms says much more about the user than it does about about the subject.

Perplexed, I am certainly anti-muslim ( even more than I am anti-christian) due to the lack of tolerance for other points of view shown by a very large proportion of the various religions known as Islam.

In Islam, respect for life seems to be rather low on the list of priorities.

There is definitely a cultural difference that seems to make it difficult for those brought up with Islam to understand and appreciate how non-muslims (and especially non-theists) think and expect to be allowed to live.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:49 pm
Well we showed Perplexed a good time.
I wonder if he feels enlightened?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
That's good ole Christian hospitality for youÂ…
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
You know what? I don't give a flying
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I am a Christian..............I am not, however, a woman.
I am disappointed on two counts Sad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
and you will probably never know the pleasure of either
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:24 pm
nimh wrote:
Lash wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Lash wrote:
I don't know of any anti-Muslims here.

I've seen a few who call them towelheads. Do they count?

If they are referring to the entire Muslim population, I would think they may count.

If they used ANY word to intentionally demean an entire population of ANY group, that constitutes MY opinion of anti-somebody.

I don't subcribe to the Great Terminology Embargo, as I'm one of the silly ones, who actually thinks the meaning behind a word is what is the best indicator of a person's sentiment. On occasion, a term DOES reflect a racial or ethnic hatred. In MY case, towelhead was used against terrorists, which I said. I used several other words, as well. However, if you'd like to pretend that makes me a racist, you may with my blessings.

OK, the principle - correct me if I'm wrong - the principle behind this argument seems to be that no word should by itself be beyond the pale; and you can therefore use words of the raghead variety as long as you dont intend to demean an entire population group with it. If you intended to demean the entire population group in question, it would be (a variety of) racist, but if you use it to describe particular subsets or individuals it's OK.

Right?

Of course, according to the same logic, I could go around here calling people or groups of people, if not "nigger" (which has a rather unique status), then at least "coon", say - just so long as I would be able to clarify afterward that I didnt mean to be talking about all blacks, of course. Just those darned <example of specific reprehensible group of black people>, those be coons! Why should I not be allowed to use that word?

But would that really be where it's at? I mean, would any of you appreciate that, and not consider it wrong or unduly offensive?

Let's get on the same page, if we are to entertain your....analogy.

Are coon, honkey, spic, camel jockey, penguin, towelhead, redneck, et AL equally insulting?

Because your analogy would seem to require that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:30 pm
Intrepid wrote:
and you will probably never know the pleasure of either
May I ask what the pleasures of being a Christian are of which you claim "I will probably never know"?

As to carnal knowledge, I am pure!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
Point #2-- I think "towelhead" is akin to the insult: Your Arab mother wears army boots.

It's cute. It's almost endearing.

Stop running around with a PC handbook in your back pocket.

I refuse to let some cabal in some penthouse misappropriate a perfectly cute insult.

I can handle honkey (whitey is nasal) and cracker (forgot origin, who gives a ****) , and redneck (pale skin, works like a dog in the sun.)

Can anyone just tell you--"Hey, that's on the offensive list" and you just BUY it? Because, I'm going to make a new list, if you're such an easy mark.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:51 pm
Lash,
PC is optional, you know.
So what if you called a towelhead a raghead..or vice versa..or whatever.
So what...really.
Sacred cows are only sacred if you pay them homage.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:18 pm
Sacred cows are only sacred if you pay them homage.

I agree with this.

I am hypocritical about some terms, though. The ones that seem intentionally offensive to ME. I've hated "nigger" since I was a child, hate Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom. I guess everyone has their sacred cows.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:22 pm
Oreo Cookie?

Stepandfetchit?
0 Replies