Is this board anti-muslim?

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:50 am
I have no repect for ANYONE who abuses children. That includes priests, imans rabbis teachers parents relatives etc etc.

The scandal in the Catholic church regarding paedeophilia is a disgrace, and its done the church great harm. That is their fault and problem, not mine.
0 Replies

dalahow2

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:05 am
A good point
Quote:
Steve (as 41oo)

The scandal in the Catholic church regarding paedeophilia is a disgrace, and its done the church great harm. That is their fault and problem, not mine.

for once, you talked about "Recieving some light"..

That is appreciated Smile Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:15 am
Re: A good point
dalahow2 wrote:
Quote:
Steve (as 41oo)

for once, you talked about "Recieving some light"..

That is appreciated Smile Smile
I dont know what you mean by that. You seem to think anything bad for Christianity must be good for Islam. I put both in the same boat. At the moment it is Islam that is doing more harm than good, hence Islam is the focus of my criticism.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:14 pm
I think worth noting is that Islam places great focus on and energy behind presenting itself as exclusively authoritative, under divine mandate to supercede and suplant all other theologies.

While Christianity, Islam's sibling within the triumvirate (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) of the Abrahamic mythopaeia somewhat similarly asserts such overarching authority and mandate, it has, at least over the past half millenium or so, been less shrill and violent in pressing the claim.

I do not see Islam itself in negative light. However, in no other wise may be regarded the current efforts of some within Islam to mingle theology and secular authority, seeking thereby to impose their theology by force of law effected through armed militancy. THAT is at once an afront to and an attack upon civilization; it must be not only countered but eradicated.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I do not see Islam itself in negative light.
Well bully for you, I think its a load of crap.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
Lemme clarify a bit, Steve; Perhaps more precicely I should have said "I see Islam in no more negative light than any other religion". 'Nuff said? :cool:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Lemme clarify a bit, Steve; Perhaps more precicely I should have said "I see Islam in no more negative light than any other religion". 'Nuff said? :cool:
getting better timber.

Actually I dont go for this moral equivalence stuff. I think all superstitious mumbo jumbo irrational belief systems are crap, but some are actually worse than others. Some of the "christian" animist cults from west africa end up sacrificing children to appease bad spirits. I think thats worse than Jains or Buddhists or even Muslims contemplating their navels or whatever they do.

And I think the central message as I understand it of Christianity...turn the other cheek, love one another, treat others as youwould wish to be treated, is actually morally superior to the message (again as I understand it) of Islam.

Where would you rate cannibalism cf methodism? Or satanism cf Roman Catholicism? They are not equivalent surely?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
Evils perpetrated in the name of or under the cover of theologies are not equivalent to the theologies themselves.

When theology becomes indistinguishable from ideology, and seeks through the implements of ideology to impose itself in prejudice to any other theology, ideology, or philosophy, we have the perfect embodiment of evil.

All religion is bunk, some of it expresses as dangerous, evil bunk.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
Quote:

Or satanism cf Roman Catholicism? They are not equivalent surely?

Certainly not!
The message of roman catholicism is one of anti-humanism, intellectual surrender and focussing on death and 'beyond'.
The 'message' of Satanism is one of self celebration, and focus on this life and living it with zest and ambition, while championing the intellect and logic.
Not even the same ballpark!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
I think thats just semantics. If a suicide bomber kills innocents, deliberately, in the name of his religion, in the absolute faith that he is doing the will of his god, that has got to reflect not just on the individual act, but the faith and religion that inspired him to do it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:29 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Or satanism cf Roman Catholicism? They are not equivalent surely?

Certainly not!
The message of roman catholicism is one of anti-humanism, intellectual surrender and focussing on death and 'beyond'.
The 'message' of Satanism is one of self celebration, and focus on this life and living it with zest and ambition, while championing the intellect and logic.
Not even the same ballpark!
Well I seem to have misunderstood the central tenets of Satanism. Its easily done.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:27 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Well I seem to have misunderstood the central tenets of Satanism. Its easily done.

Hi Steve.
I like to kick misconceptions in the balls.
That is all Smile
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:26 am
timberlandko wrote:
I think worth noting is that Islam places great focus on and energy behind presenting itself as exclusively authoritative, under divine mandate to supercede and suplant all other theologies.

While Christianity, Islam's sibling within the triumvirate (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) of the Abrahamic mythopaeia somewhat similarly asserts such overarching authority and mandate, it has, at least over the past half millenium or so, been less shrill and violent in pressing the claim.

I do not see Islam itself in negative light. However, in no other wise may be regarded the current efforts of some within Islam to mingle theology and secular authority, seeking thereby to impose their theology by force of law effected through armed militancy. THAT is at once an afront to and an attack upon civilization; it must be not only countered but eradicated.

How can you make these baseless claims when the Quran calls for unification of all the three religions? Answer this question, does any other Bible or Torah call for unification in the same manner that the Quran does?

And please look up the true definition of the word Muslim, it means someone who submits to his Creator - thus anyone is technically a Muslim if he submits in the will of God; whether he's Jew, Christian, etc. it does not matter as long as he believes in ONE God.

Here's the verse:

O People of the Book! Let us rally to a common formula to be binding on both us and you: That we worship none but God; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than God. (Surat Al 'Imran, 64)

This is indeed our call to Christians and Jews: As people who believe in God and follow His revelations, let us rally to a common formula - "faith". Let's love God, Who is our Creator and Lord, and follow His commands. And let us pray God to lead us to an even straighter path.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 01:48 am
Raul, would that common formula be a 4th permutation of the Abrahamic mythopaeia, neither Islamic, Jewish, nor Christian, or would it be the formula already professed by one of thos 3 squabbling siblings? Who's roadmap shows the straighter path? Which set of sacred writings details the intinerary for the journey to heaven?

And what has the word "Muslim" to do with anything I've said?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
timberlandko wrote:
Raul, would that common formula be a 4th permutation of the Abrahamic mythopaeia, neither Islamic, Jewish, nor Christian, or would it be the formula already professed by one of thos 3 squabbling siblings? Who's roadmap shows the straighter path? Which set of sacred writings details the intinerary for the journey to heaven?

And what has the word "Muslim" to do with anything I've said?

Isn't "muslim" to "Islam" like "Christian" to Christianity"? And weren't you talking about Islam? Help me out, here...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
REferring to the religion and its tenets, not its adherents and their practices, snood. The 2 are not the same.

Were religionists to practice their religions' tenets, not their prejudicial interpretations of same, this might be a safer, freindlier planet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:23 am
Snood, did you read what Raul posted?

He's claiming that by definition, all followers of Islam are Muslims, and that all followers of Christianity are Muslims and that all followers of Judaism are Muslims. I suspect you jumped in without reading carefully.

The Big Bird was simply pointing out, and Raul's post confirms it, that many followers of Islam claim that their creed is the last, complete and correct version of God's word, and that it is intended to supercede the two predecessors (Judaism and Christianity). He then points to militant Islam as a danger which may lead to the violent imposition of doctrinal purity. Upon which basis, quibbling about what Muslim may mean is not germane.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
timberlandko wrote:
REferring to the religion and its tenets, not its adherents and their practices, snood. The 2 are not the same.

Were religionists to practice their religions' tenets, not their prejudicial interpretations of same, this might be a safer, freindlier planet.

Understood and agreed. But you did say "what has the word got to do with Islam" and although there are differences, ya gotta admit one has literally a bit to do with the other.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 11:11 am
Point taken, admonishment acknowledged, snood, though what I said was "What has the word "Muslim" to do with anything I've said?", the contextual reference being I had not used that word.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Point taken, admonishment acknowledged, snood, though what I said was "What has the word "Muslim" to do with anything I've said?", the contextual reference being I had not used that word.

I gotcha - and I didn't mean to sound preachy like a schoolmarm, or anything. I'm just slow enough where I have to strive to get as much clarity as I can....
0 Replies