2
   

Is this board anti-muslim?

 
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:13 am
Caught it the first time, Chumly. Laughing I didn't take the word ignorance from you as an insult.
0 Replies
 
Perplexed
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:17 am
roger wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
roger wrote:
Perplexed, would you prefer comments and discussion only from members of your own faith? Or just Christians? If so, why? Your thread title does seem to imply otherwise.
I'm just trying to understand. It would be nice to find a board devoted SOLELY to religious discussion, which would HOPEFULLY mean that the posting audience would be mostly believers (in whatever religion) as well as those atheists who honestly want to put forward their views and debate, and not just troublemakers wanting to start fights, insult, and generally act like un-supervised children on a big playground.


Well, I came to ask a question, not wanting to start a fight or insult anyone. I take your insulting comment about un-supervised children to heart and leave your great big playground.
Whoa whoa whoa, you misunderstand me! I wasn'treferring to you at all, I've only just met you and you've certainly done NOTHING to lower yourself to the level of children. I was referring to OTHER persons, NOT YOU.
0 Replies
 
Perplexed
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:26 am
Well I feel like crap now, I was talking about someone else and now this guy thinks I called him a child:(
0 Replies
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:29 am
Perplexed,

Don't take it so much to heart sweetie. I am sure that roger will see your post that you didn't mean him. It's hard sometimes to just put things in black and white like this. You can't see body language, hear inflections, etc.

Roger is a very decent guy. I am sure that if he reads your post he will understand. All you can do is apologize to someone in case you offended or hurt them and just be wary not to do it again.

It's ok. It has happened to all of us at least once on A2K. Laughing
0 Replies
 
Perplexed
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:52 am
thank you momma, I hope he sees this.

As-salaamu 'aleikum
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:49 am
Amigo wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
I was under the impression that this was a religion board, I believe the name for it is "Spirituality and Religion". Why are these people here if they are so negative about religion in general?
Some want to talk, Some like to debate, Some like to belittle you, some like to fight with people to no end and some just hate Islam.

You are entering a study in sociology.

<grins> Pretty much...

roger wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
I'm just trying to understand. It would be nice to find a board devoted SOLELY to religious discussion, which would HOPEFULLY mean that the posting audience would be mostly believers (in whatever religion) as well as those atheists who honestly want to put forward their views and debate, and not just troublemakers wanting to start fights, insult, and generally act like un-supervised children on a big playground.

Well, I came to ask a question, not wanting to start a fight or insult anyone. I take your insulting comment about un-supervised children to heart and leave your great big playground.

Huh? What in his post made you think he was talking about you?

I mean, there are just troublemakers who are mainly out to fight a bit, vent a bit, exorcize their troublemaking selves a bit on the forum, most particularly on the Religion and Politics forums ... thats just kinda stating the obvious, no? No need to take it personally (unless you recognize yourself in the description, and I cant imagine that you would, you're one of the most reasoned around! Wink
0 Replies
 
Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:49 am
Amigo wrote:
Perplexed, I think the people on this board are very critical and cynical of all Religions. I think it has a lot to due with the part religion has played in the worlds condition.


I think you hit the nail on the head.

I also think that unintentionally, many people are somewhat anti-Muslim because of the current issues in the world, which is unfair and silly because we all know that a group of nutcases doesn't represent the whole religion.

But Amigo is right. People make decisions based on how it affects their lives.
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:03 am
I also think some people are so virulent in their criticism of religion and insulting towards religious people because they have anger issues, and religion and religious people are convenient targets.
0 Replies
 
Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:20 am
Lash wrote:
I don't know of any anti-Muslims here.

I've seen a few who call them towelheads. Do they count?
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:21 am
And ragheads...
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:31 am
I am an agnostic. I have no problem with people of religion. In fact, most of the people with whom I am in contact with, on a daily basis, are connected with one religion or another.

I am a big believer in "live and let live". Therefore, I DO have a problem, and respond most angrily, to those who would attempt to change laws based on nothing but their own religious preferences.

That is not to say that I respect everyone's religion. For the most part I don't. I DO respect the right of each person to live their lives as they see fit, as long as they do not trample over MY life in the process.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:57 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I am a big believer in "live and let live". Therefore, I DO have a problem, and respond most angrily, to those who would attempt to change laws based on nothing but their own religious preferences.


Do you feel the same way if the words "religious preferences" were replaced by just preferences?
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:00 am
Perplexed wrote:
Well I feel like crap now, I was talking about someone else and now this guy thinks I called him a child:(


Perplexed. I, for one, did not read your post that you were referring to Roger. If he took it that way, perhaps he had reason to feel part of who you were referring to. Whatever the reason, you should not feel badly because you were right in what you said. You were talking generally and not to or about an individual poster.

I do hope that Roger realizes that he was not being insulted in any way.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:13 am
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I am a big believer in "live and let live". Therefore, I DO have a problem, and respond most angrily, to those who would attempt to change laws based on nothing but their own religious preferences.


Do you feel the same way if the words "religious preferences" were replaced by just preferences?


I see what you are getting at, and I can appreciate it. The difference is that I cannot condone basing a law on the interpretation of the tenets of any so called, "holy" book, be it the Talmud, the New Testament, the Koran, or any other religious tract.

I think that laws need to be based on the Constitution of the United States.
I also think that there needs to be far more clarity in the separation of powers, and states vs. federal rights.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:26 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I am a big believer in "live and let live". Therefore, I DO have a problem, and respond most angrily, to those who would attempt to change laws based on nothing but their own religious preferences.


Do you feel the same way if the words "religious preferences" were replaced by just preferences?


I see what you are getting at, and I can appreciate it. The difference is that I cannot condone basing a law on the interpretation of the tenets of any so called, "holy" book, be it the Talmud, the New Testament, the Koran, or any other religious tract.

I think that laws need to be based on the Constitution of the United States.
I also think that there needs to be far more clarity in the separation of powers, and states vs. federal rights.


My Dear Phoenix. You lost me when you got to the Constitution of the United States. For Americans, that may be perfectly acceptable.

For us other members of the world community, we do not recognize the American Constitution since we are not governed by it.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:33 am
bookmark
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
Intrepid- Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking in terms of what is going on in the US. Mea culpa!
0 Replies
 
Endymion
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Perplexed, if there are posts on this forum where people have been referred to as towelheads and ragheads and those posts haven't been deleted, then the answer to your question must be - yes.

Thing is, there are plenty who don't see things that way.

Those people who aren't racist will treat you the same as everyone else. They will make judgements about you based on what you post.
(Believe me, I've been snubbed, sneered at and ridiculed because of my 'bleeding heart'....)
I try not to provoke right wingers because I find their attitude extremely depressing and I also tend to steer clear of anyone who comes across as very religious (by very I mean it effects their moral thinking).

In fact you could say I'm anti-religion. As soon as people bring God into a debate - I don't care if they're black, brown, or pink - or what part of the world they come from - I back off.

I'm happy to talk with you about Islam - its history, its art and culture - especially its olive trees. I'll even talk to you about the war in Iraq.
But would you want to talk to me?
As a white, anti-religious, Englishman? And if you do, can we leave God out of it?

Peace
Endy
0 Replies
 
snood
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:46 am
How can you leave God out of a discussion about Islam? Islam MEANS submission to the will of God.
0 Replies
 
Endymion
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:53 am
snood wrote:
I also think some people are so virulent in their criticism of religion and insulting towards religious people because they have anger issues, and religion and religious people are convenient targets.


Snood, how can you say that with that face?

People don't call nuns sheetheads do they?

raghead, towelhead, - these are racist terms. And anti-muslim feeling is everywhere, even in countries such as mine, where religion is less of an issue.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/16/2022 at 03:48:55