Is this board anti-muslim?

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:43 pm
I'm worried about the prevailing views on Islam amongst the members of this board. In only one day, I've seen a few muslims that were, admittedly, embarassing, but I've also seen muslims who were making valid points being shot down for no reason other than the fact they were saying something positive about Islam.

That there is more than one thread asking "Where are the good muslims?" is a telling point.

Is this board anti-muslim? Would I be better off leaving before an incident occurs? If this sort of thing is to happen, I'd rather not be around for it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 31,410 • Replies: 659
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:45 pm
We are not all anti Arab. I have no use for any religion, but that's another matter.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:48 pm
Not anti-arab, anti-muslim! I would have hoped that on a board like this I wouldn't have had to explain that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:50 pm
This board is a zillion different things, or 54,598 different things to be more precise. (Number of members as of 9:46 PM EST...)

So while there is an anti-Muslim contingent, yes, there is also an anti-Christian contingent, an anti-all-organized religion contingent, a weirdo Christian contingent, a weirdo Muslim contingent, a tolerance contingent... all kindsa stuff.

Not sure how much you've ventured outside of the Spirituality & Religion forum, but in Politics especially you'll see more of the defense of Muslims/ rebuttals against the broad brushes that are used to portray modern Islam.

As a general concept, this site tends to have waves of people drawn by certain subjects -- often the extremist wave first. So we have had a couple of recent waves of extremist Christians and extremist Muslims, and then more... subtle?... members of each group seem to be following those initial waves.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:52 pm
I don't know of any anti-Muslims here.

But, Perp, this may be a good time to define kaffir.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:53 pm
I'm not specifically anti-muslim
I'm anti-imaginary friends in general
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:54 pm
Doktor S wrote:
I'm not specifically anti-muslim
I'm anti-imaginary friends in general
Why would you spend your time in this forum then?

I don't see the attraction for an atheist unless your only goal is to stir up trouble.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:54 pm
Now THAT was funny.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
I didn't say I was an atheist, now did I?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:55 pm
I've seen a few. I don't think you are -- especially, I think you're interested in learning more -- but I'd say there are a few who are pretty much just plain anti-Muslim.

Note, there have been the Muslim wackos here who haven't made things easier for those of us who keep saying variations of "Yes, there are plenty of reasonable, moderate Muslims", and there were understandable bad reactions to those guys.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
Kaffir...? Perplexed? You used the term on another thread. It has a few meanings. What is yours?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
Kaffir is the plural of kuffar, and it means non-muslim, though, stupidly, the translation one will most often hear is "infidel", which perhaps in a literal sense of the word (in-fidel, not faithful) makes sense, but the word has taken on connotations not present in the original arabic.

perhaps, purely in the interest of islamic-everyone else-relations, I should use the term non-muslim instead.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:00 pm
I bash all religions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:04 pm
Perp-- It is your perogative, but I think that would be best. "Infidel" isn't my favorite nickname.

Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:05 pm
I think there are some very intensely bigoted anti Muslim people here, who make a lot of noise, and post a lot about it, as bigoted people do.

In general I think most people are not particularly anti Muslim, though.

I agree that some of the Muslims who post a lot here are embarrassing, indeed....but so are a number of the christians.

So it goes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:12 pm
It is all about tolerance. I think that, perhaps, it is tolerance in general that is somewhat lacking. I don't see any single group being singled out. Muslims, Christians, Jews etc. have all had their share of negative posts.

Granted, there is evidence of intolerance on all sides so it is hard to pinpoint anything.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
but I just got done saying that infidel is a bad translation and NOT what I intend when I use the term!

To give another insight into the term's meaning, let me present to you a chapter of the Qur'an called Al-kaafiruun (don't worry, it's very very short)

1. Say: O ye that reject faith

2. I worship not that which ye worship

3. Nor will ye worship that which I worship

4. And I will not worship that which ye have been want to worship

5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship

6. To you be your way, and to me be mine.

That last line is the most important part, after making it clear that it is the kaffir who are being addressed, Allah makes this very peaceful, tolerant proclamation. It wouldn't fit with the current connotation of the word infidel to call them that name and then make a pluralist statement like that, would it?

I can't speak for every muslim, but, while I will try to use the term non-muslim, if I do slip and say kaffir or kuffar, please remember that the term is not originally intended to be an insulting one.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
I've seen a few. I don't think you are -- especially, I think you're interested in learning more -- but I'd say there are a few who are pretty much just plain anti-Muslim.

Note, there have been the Muslim wackos here who haven't made things easier for those of us who keep saying variations of "Yes, there are plenty of reasonable, moderate Muslims", and there were understandable bad reactions to those guys.

This is sort of weird. I didn't think you were talking about me--yet I see the especially... I shall come out with my opinion and see what happens. If I have my terms wrong, someone tell me.

I am not anti-Muslim. A Muslim is a person.

I recently had a virulent, acidic disagreement with a Christian. Does that make me anti-Christian?

I AM anti-Islam. Although the Koran and Hadiths have some kind and loving passages, it also has passages that condone cruelty and murder, and they aren't condoned by a "Paul character" or some unknown writer, but they are attributed directly to Mohammad. This IMO is why so many adherents of Islam are violent and moreso, why they feel justified in their violence.

However, each person --just as in racism, or any other form of stereotype--deserves consideration as an individual. If you meet each Muslim person as an individual, you are not anti-Muslim, even if you have serious criticisms of their faith.

Like everyone else, I hope, I make my decision about each individual, based on who they reveal themselves to be, their content, not their label.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:22 pm
I am an equal opportunity religion antagonist !!

anon
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:48 pm
I make no bones about my dislike of Islam and the other two Abrahamic religions, but I attempt to keep my criticism limited to the texts that they are built upon.
0 Replies