Is this board anti-muslim?

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:25 am
If someone wants to refer to a terrorist they should use the word terrorist, because that is what it is. A terrorist is not, necessarily, one who wears a particular type of apparel on their head. A terrorist could be wearing a baseball cap, earmuffs. a toque or any other manner of head covering.

It has been said that towelhead is not used to denote a religion. I do not know much about the Muslim religion, but is it not true that the head covering must be worn during prayer? Does it, therefore, not follow that it is a religious item?

Hopefully, this thread can move forward from this one item.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
No matter how you look at it, in my experience, no one refers to someone as a "towelhead" in a kindly fashion. If the term is not racist, is is surely, at the least, nasty.
Sure its nasty, and I would never refer to people as such. But there is an important difference between being nasty and being racist, the latter at least in this country and quite rightly imo, being illegal.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:11 am
The only religious injunction to wear a turban (the reference implicit in "towelhead") of which i know is among the Sihks, who must, for religious orthodoxy, wear a turban at all times. Muslims are not so constrained, and even the wearing of any form of head covering is a matter of custom, and not creed.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:52 am
I knew a Sihk once who decided he had had enough of seeking and put aside his turban. His hair went down to his waist. Sihk and ye shall find.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
Strained and out-of-place, but not funny.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
but true
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
Of course, snood's opinion on what is funny should be right on target--with that widely known, gregarious, appealing sense of humor, and all.

Checkout the Black People Have Gone Too Far thread for a dose of that special snood affability!!!

<rolly eyed emoticon to beat all others inserted here>

Funny!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:11 pm
Lash wrote:
Of course, snood's opinion on what is funny should be right on target--with that widely known, gregarious, appealing sense of humor, and all.

Checkout the Black People Have Gone Too Far thread for a dose of that special snood affability!!!

<rolly eyed emoticon to beat all others inserted here>

Funny!

Lash, dear, now I told you we have to stop meeting like this...

Try to get over your obsession!! Laughing

Besides, I didn't think you liked my N-word jokes....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
I just wish you'd pick a side and stay on it for a few minutes.

Either it's ok, and you keep using racial slurs--or it's not ok, and you stop using them.

It's sort of ridiculous to keep jumping over that fence when it suits you.

How will you counsel other people with as much baggage as you drag around? I hope there's a class for that. Black clients with self-esteem concerns will come out of your therapy in worse shape than they went in.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:35 pm
is 'Nood an N word?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:44 pm
Appears so in the vein that he seems so completely encumbered by that one aspect of identity... all about the "N." Uses the words, thinks he's above criticism for it, and then wants to challenge other people...

I don't know how he reconciles that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:45 pm
Lash wrote:
Appears so in the vein that he seems so completely encumbered by that one aspect of identity... all about the "N." Uses the words, thinks he's above criticism for it, and then wants to challenge other people...

I don't know how he reconciles that.

And I am very touched that you care, Lash dear - but I will put my useage of the N-word up next to your frantic defense of your use of "towelhead" any day of the week.

And since you are so quick to get so personal about my chosen future vocation, I'm sure you will forego any whining when and if I choose to get as personal about you, okay Lash dear?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:06 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:
I keep hearing people debating whether 'towelhead' is a 'racist' term or not.

To those who think it is, I have a few questions:

Just how many 'races' do you think there are? And to which 'race' do you think the people being described belong?

Uhm ok. So its not racist, its just bigoted, offensive, derogatory, and all that implicitly applied to an entire ethnic and/or religious group.

That any better?
Glad you accept its not racist. Sure its offensive, but against which religion or "entire" enthnic group?

Surely it can only really apply to those people going around wearing what appear to be towels on their heads.

Yes, that is excellent logic. Just like only people who were actually covered in tar when they were born can get offended by the term "tarbaby", and only really spooky people can get offended by the term "spook". And only a greasy person could be offended by the term "greaseball".

Yes, that is some seriously sound logic there.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
Laughing Makes sense to me, kickster.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
kickycan wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
nimh wrote:
real life wrote:
I keep hearing people debating whether 'towelhead' is a 'racist' term or not.

To those who think it is, I have a few questions:

Just how many 'races' do you think there are? And to which 'race' do you think the people being described belong?

Uhm ok. So its not racist, its just bigoted, offensive, derogatory, and all that implicitly applied to an entire ethnic and/or religious group.

That any better?
Glad you accept its not racist. Sure its offensive, but against which religion or "entire" enthnic group?

Surely it can only really apply to those people going around wearing what appear to be towels on their heads.

Yes, that is excellent logic. Just like only people who were actually covered in tar when they were born can get offended by the term "tarbaby", and only really spooky people can get offended by the term "spook". And only a greasy person could be offended by the term "greaseball".

Yes, that is some seriously sound logic there.

Ah...the man may have a pimple on his bum, but I rejoice to see his brain remains signally unaffected.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 04:52 pm
You display sound logic, Kicky
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 05:51 am
dlowan wrote:
Ah...the man may have a pimple on his bum, but I rejoice to see his brain remains signally unaffected.
What you mean despite the proximity? Smile
0 Replies

dalahow2

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:26 am
My views
This board doesn't accept that ISLAM is growing in all parts of the world and this board is our meeting point

Quote:
I thought this will help Read my views on this board
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:41 am
I feel sorry for you dalahow

you wallow in a sea of ignorance and self delusion.

the only way islam can survive is to brainwash children, and threaten them if they leave.

I have no respect for people who tell lies and abuse children.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:46 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I feel sorry for you dalahow

you wallow in a sea of ignorance and self delusion.

the only way islam can survive is to brainwash children, and threaten them if they leave.

I have no respect for people who tell lies and abuse children.

Then you should have no respect for Christian priests. :wink:
0 Replies