Is this board anti-muslim?

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:08 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Lash,

I honestly am confused. I am not trying to start anything with you. I am obviously reading this statement differently than you are and I am asking you where I am differing from you.

If anyone could explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it. Lash obviously believes she is not being offensive with this word and if she really believes that then I need to try to understand, as I feel this way about something else and I know how it feels for someone not to understand my view.

It doesn't mean I will agree with her or not agree with her, but at least I can understand where she's coming from.

Help? Anyone?

Lemme see if I can help un-confuse you...
Lash is doing backflips trying to maintain a ridiculous rationale for using or having the option of using a clearly racist slur. And the rest of it is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors trying to cover that up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:13 pm
snood has got a chip on his shoulder that resembles Harry Belafonte.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:16 pm
Someone ask snood if he agrees or disagrees with the Holocaust denial law in Europe, and why he throws racist terms around and MEANS them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
Try to stay focused, Lash dear. This thread is about whether or not this board is anti-muslim. You have spent a bunch of kilobytes explaining why the term "towelhead" ain't that bad. You're the one who has the egg facial here, so stop trying to wriggle around, and point at someone else...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
Have you ever thought how infinitely easy it would be for me to just say what everyone wants me to say?

Have you ever wondered, since I hate some of these words, why I expend so much energy fighting against external controls of speech?

Is anything about more than small personal stuff to you? Instead of trying to score points, or wrapping everything in your own preoccupation with race, why don't you address the subject?

What do you think of the Holocaust denial legislation? Isn't it the same as censoring these terms? And, why do YOU use some of them, yet make something of ME using them? At least I don't bear ill will toward people--or pinpoint people with them like you do. How do you reconcile all of that?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:41 pm
Lash wrote:
Have you ever thought how infinitely easy it would be for me to just say what everyone wants me to say?

Have you ever wondered, since I hate some of these words, why I expend so much energy fighting against external controls of speech?

Is anything about more than small personal stuff to you? Instead of trying to score points, or wrapping everything in your own preoccupation with race, why don't you address the subject?

What do you think of the Holocaust denial legislation? Isn't it the same as censoring these terms? And, why do YOU use some of them, yet make something of ME using them? At least I don't bear ill will toward people--or pinpoint people with them like you do. How do you reconcile all of that?

But Lash, dear - I'm not changing the subject. You keep throwing up a bunch of things unrelated to your creepy insistence on using the term "towelhead". A racist term. That's all I said about you on this thread. And it's true.

(Holocaust denial legislation? So now you're wanting to defend people who go around insisting the holocaust didn't happen, and you're trying to cloak that underneath some kind of halfassed first amendment last stand? Whew Lash dear - you're reachin'!)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
Can someone, anyone please tell me if I am reading that Derisive statement incorrectly or not? Please.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:50 pm
Looks like an Epithet Off.

Lash is out of the gate with towelhead....

Towelhead isn't a racist term.

<she slimes snood with his very colorful epithet utterings>

Uncle Tom and Aunt Jemima are, though. Those are two of your favorites, though, so I guess they're OK. I don't think I'll take any lectures from you. You've used more racist terms than I have--and you single people out with yours and you mean them in insulting terms toward individuals.

I insulted terrorists.

You used racial epithets against specific people.

<You aren't here to discuss the issue, and you have no room to criticise me. You should find somewhere else to deposit your lovely personality>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
Well, I guess I just will have to go on my own understanding here since I can't get any clarification.

Sorry Lash, I think towelhead is at the very least, an offensive term and is racist. If Snood has used terms such as you say, then he would have been in error also.

But, it's not about who is or who is not more wrong, Lash. It's about a single issue. You have your views and others have theirs. It's just life. We all do things we shouldn't. We learn from them and go on. That's how we grow.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:57 pm
You tell her, MA.

Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
Excuse me? I have every right to post what I want to post on here, Lash. I asked repeatedly for you to explain something to me because I didn't understand where you were coming from. I tried to understand but you refused to explain to me what you meant.

You think Snood has ill will toward anyone? I find that last post of yours one of the most offensive I've seen. I did nothing to deserve that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm
Weirder than before. Quite a feat.

Talks a lot but never says anything. Are you too cowardly to address the topic?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:08 pm
Who are you addressing, dearest Lash?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
You want me to address the topic? And even if you weren't talking to me I will still address it.

Perplexed, yes, there is definitely one person on this board I would consider anti-Muslim, though I feel they are in a minority. The term towelhead is extremely offensive and racist and trying to explain it away with as being on par with redneck is absolutely a pathetic excuse to rationalize an obvious racist slur. And, that is my opinion on this topic.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
Can I just point out here that using any of these epithets, irregardless of whether or not they fit your personal parameters for offensive, is just in poor taste ?

Classy, not assy... Is that so hard ?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
Lash wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I've seen a few. I don't think you are -- especially, I think you're interested in learning more -- but I'd say there are a few who are pretty much just plain anti-Muslim.

Note, there have been the Muslim wackos here who haven't made things easier for those of us who keep saying variations of "Yes, there are plenty of reasonable, moderate Muslims", and there were understandable bad reactions to those guys.

This is sort of weird. I didn't think you were talking about me--yet I see the especially... I shall come out with my opinion and see what happens. If I have my terms wrong, someone tell me.

I am not anti-Muslim. A Muslim is a person.

I recently had a virulent, acidic disagreement with a Christian. Does that make me anti-Christian?

I AM anti-Islam. Although the Koran and Hadiths have some kind and loving passages, it also has passages that condone cruelty and murder, and they aren't condoned by a "Paul character" or some unknown writer, but they are attributed directly to Mohammad. This IMO is why so many adherents of Islam are violent and moreso, why they feel justified in their violence.

However, each person --just as in racism, or any other form of stereotype--deserves consideration as an individual. If you meet each Muslim person as an individual, you are not anti-Muslim, even if you have serious criticisms of their faith.

Like everyone else, I hope, I make my decision about each individual, based on who they reveal themselves to be, their content, not their label.

Paul said:

Colossians 3:5
Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Comment:
The word mortify is where we get the modern word mortar. It literally means "blow to smithereens" your enemies...

Paul was talking about the spirits and not the physical people but he used very precise wording...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
I though it was related to morbid, as in dead
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:35 pm
Lash wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Why does it matter if you are referring to Muslims, Sikhs or anybody else with the word towelhead. It doesn't make it any better using this term with ANYBODY. Hoever, it seems that the term has been used specifically with Muslims on these threads.

If the term isn't a direct insult to a specific group, then, Intrepid, what is wrong with using it?? This is what I don't understand. Who has the right to say what anyone means by the word when they say it??

And, do understand, I am not defending myself--I am trying to get to the bottom of this word in specific and censured terms in general.

Perhaps, you, or someone could provide a definition for "towel head" that is not a slur. And, under what circumstances would the term reasonably be used.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:37 pm
mortify
One entry found for mortify.
Main Entry: mor·ti·fy
Pronunciation: 'mor-t&-"fI
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -fied; -fy·ing
Etymology: Middle English mortifien, from Middle French mortifier, from Late Latin mortificare, from Latin mort-, mors
transitive senses
1 obsolete : to destroy the strength, vitality, or functioning of
2 : to subdue or deaden (as the body or bodily appetites) especially by abstinence or self-inflicted pain or discomfort
3 : to subject to severe and vexing embarrassment : SHAME
intransitive senses
1 : to practice mortification
2 : to become necrotic or gangrenous
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm
Yeah, a good, reasonable use of the term "towelhead".

This oughta be good....
0 Replies