A Born Again Diva

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 06:29 am
Not this one. But he'll certainly see WHAT'S UP, URANUS? -the outer space musical in the spring.

This one is a small production, but oh so beautifully twisted and messed up.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
Sounds like another year of superlative theater, dagmaraka!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:47 am
yeah, now i have to get a fifties' outfit together. what fun.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:05 am
http://www.golddustorphans.com/twilight-large.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:10 am
That show looks like it could be a really good satire, dagmaraka. Let us know if there are any reviews in your local media.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:11 am
it's reaaaally creepy, but really funny, too.

will do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:55 am
Are you already in rehearsals? or will you have time for a zoom to NYC in about 10 days?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:56 am
i'l be in NYC on Oct 17-18, maybe a day before or after that. are you still in town then?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:15 pm
that poster is classic!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:45 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i'l be in NYC on Oct 17-18, maybe a day before or after that. are you still in town then?

gack, I fly out on the 16th Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:47 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Not this one. But he'll certainly see WHAT'S UP, URANUS? -the outer space musical in the spring.

do you know roughly when this one is scheduled for? I'm doing some spring trip planning with a friend, and I might be able to slide a trip for this in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:08 pm
So.....? Two shows and no commentary? How's it going?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:14 pm
ah, ah...life...so tough, you know.

so, yesterday was the opening, and it was great. at 5pm, Nana (director) was throwing temper tantrums, on the verge of crying... and of course everything went just grand at 8pm when the show opened. we hung out for hours afterwards, had a great ole time.
Today, however, all the little things we could, we got wrong. i, for example, nearly killed Nana by releasing a drop box with debris, including large planks of wood, early (I can't see from the back) and it missed him just by a hair... and i wore a tie with a nurse's outfit.... But i don't think audience noticed these things. i just hightailed outta there right after the show ended. luckily i had my boss and a visiting guest- a dancer from Tamil Nadu- at the show, and we all went dancing to a reggae club... so all tension evaporated away.... weeee!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:18 pm
Never a dull moment!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:41 pm
nope, though sometimes a dull moment would be highly preferrable.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:20 am
Congratulations on the successful opening, dag - and on not killing the director on the second night.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:09 am
tonight was the big night. all the media critics came... and the show turned out better than ever. i did not kill Nana with debris, nor did I wear a tie with my nurse's outfit by accident... all went well. Nana was pleased and got accordingly pleasantly drunk along with the rest of us after the show. which means i'm off to bed...buh-bye!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:19 am
Quote:
Landry plays it straight in nod to 'Twilight Zone'
(By Sandy MacDonald, Boston Globe, October 17, 2006)

Any attempt to parody the early '60s TV series ``The Twilight Zone" would seem to be an exercise in redundancy: Time has already done the trick, cutting these high-concept sci-fi experiments down to laughable size. To feel their full impact, you'd have to have been there when the show first aired, at a time when baby boomers looked to the tube for the slightest sign that the age of conformity might one day come to an end.

``The Twilight Zone" delivered this in spades. And in resurrecting three classic episodes -- ``Eye of the Beholder," ``Living Doll," and ``The Invaders" -- Ryan Landry and his troupe of Gold Dust Orphans don't so much spoof as render homage.

The territory is a little tamer than in such recent shows as ``Who's Afraid of the Virgin Mary?" and ``Death of a Saleslady, " and fewer liberties are taken. Perhaps because Landry was extra-busy last summer, simultaneously playing Caesar in Provincetown's ``Cleopatra" and the Wicked Stepmother in the Ogunquit Playhouse ``Cinderella," less of his distinctive verbal wit is on display. With some minor exceptions, the Orphans play these vignettes straight; they even employ Bernard Herrmann's signature scoring.

Not that their version doesn't yield myriad delights -- starting with Billy Hough's spot-on impression of host Rod Serling, he of the soul-boring gaze and lockjaw delivery. His portentous prologues winkingly bracket the action, which is served up shuffle-style.

``Eye of the Beholder," in which a hideously ``deformed" woman anxiously awaits the outcome of her latest surgery, opens and closes the show, with interludes inserted amid the other two stories. It wouldn't do to divulge the closing twist (which may come as a surprise to very few), but it does seem a shame to cast the expressive Penny Champayne (Gold Dust vet Scott Martino ) in a role that enshrouds her till the very end. Once unwrapped, Champayne gives full vent to the tremulous moues of a siren. And in all three skits, we have the pleasure of Martino's clever costumes and props -- a domed plastic wastebasket lid serving as scaled-down spaceship, for instance.

The funniest part of ``Eye" is a bit of stage business performed by a lusty doctor-and-nurse duo (Gene Dante and Sharon Hart ). Dressing after a tryst, they engage in elaborate choreography to camouflage their facial features -- a trick achieved in the TV version mostly through strategic shadows.

In ``The Invaders," Landry takes Agnes Moorehead 's solo role of a peasant woman under attack by tiny alien invaders. Again, it seems a pity to render Landry, a reliable font of outrageous bon mots, near mute. Still, he vocalizes evocatively while giving the mini-marauders what for.

``Living Doll" is the most developed script: A bullying husband (Larry Coen , in the Telly Savalas role) begrudges his perky young stepdaughter (Hart again) the fancy talking doll bestowed on her by her doting mother (company regular Olive Another , sporting ersatz Chanel). ``Talkie Tina" tends to spout sugary declarations of love, but not to the brute-in-residence. In this hilariously dysfunctional household, it's man against doll in a fight to the finish -- and not the mild, ``ironic" finish that the script's originators had in mind, but one with a gross-out Grand Guignol flourish.

It's the boldest departure in a fairly faithful revival. Compared to the rest of the canon, this is Landry Lite, less seditious than the norm. Still, Landry and company, even in a relatively sedate mode, measure up pleasurably to outré almost anyone else.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 03:43 pm
that's us alright.

good reviews, but for some reason this show just ain't growin on me. i like watching it from backstage, but atmosphere is different, i'm not into it when on stage (rarely, for i was mostly gone when they were rehearsing), costumes are uncomfortable....dunno.
hopefully What's Up Uranus? will be loads more fun.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:32 pm
No dancing!
0 Replies