An Addict's Dream or Nightmare???

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:52 am
I was doing my Paid To Read emails this morning and I came across this site. I must admit, I'm pretty shocked. Shocked I am a recovering addict/alcoholic and I'm not sure this place would have helped me. I would have loved to have gone though! Seems they would have fed me what I was craving.

What do you think?

Quote:
Welcome to Summer House, the liberal and compassionate drug detox center. Our whole mission is to make detoxification comfortable for you! We accomplish this by giving you a liquid narcotic cocktail in reducing doses every four hours around the clock until you are clean. Our staff feels that any addict or alcoholic in need of medical detox has certainly suffered enough. WE WILL MAKE YOU COMFORTABLE! WE KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE DOPESICK We know the horrors of delirium tremens and drug addiction. We know what it is to really suffer. No addict or alcoholic need suffer in the stifling confines of a generic drug treatment institution where your identity is reduced to a mere number.

http://www.drugdetoxcenter.com/?source=LookSmart
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,278 • Replies: 39
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:03 am
Re: An Addict's Dream or Nightmare???
Momma Angel wrote:
We accomplish this by giving you a liquid narcotic cocktail in reducing doses every four hours around the clock until you are clean.

for some addicts this is the only technique that is successful.

they need to be weaned off of the narcotic.

cold turkey doesn't work for everyone.

whatever works for the addict is what i'd always recommend.

~~~~~~~~

people become addicted for a variety of reasons.

in the same way, detoxification is not a one size fits all process
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
ehbeth,

Well, it definitely would not have worked for me. I am one that one pill is too many and a thousand is never enough. I have tried to quit smoking with this same type of "process." Cold turkey was the only way for me.

I guess what really got me was the no "judgmental" (that's the word they used) type of confrontation. I was in denial pretty deep. The softer the approach with me, the deeper in denial I would stay.

This may prove to be pretty interesting. I would like to know if anyone has gotten clean this way and why it worked for them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:11 am
There is a significant amount of research in this area, MoAn.

If you are interested, I'd recommend you look into it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:13 am
I will do that, ehBeth. Thanx!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:17 am
Sounds interesting. I would be curious as to their "track record" of long term successes compare with traditional detox settings.

Also, MA, what do you mean by Paid To Read emails? That's a new one on me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
oh, nice bit of propaganda (I mean marketing) here....

What Type Of Person Comes To Summer House?

Summer House is not for everyone. There are some people that feel a need to suffer greatly when they come off of drugs. There are some people that actually find some poetic justice in being sick. These types are used to revolving in and out of confrontational treatment centers and though they do not know how to truly stay clean, because they have the rhetoric down, they feel that they should suffer in a militant type center in order to be clean. Summer house is for those individuals who wish to avoid suffering - who wish to be able to sleep at night - who do not want to feel uncomfortable in a sterile type stuffy institution -who want to be able to eat, and feel relaxed. We encourage our clients to immerse themselves in recovery, but it is not a pre-requisite for attending our program. To put it as simply as possible, Summer House is for those seeking an easier, softer way down from drugs who have the luxury of choice in where and how they receive detox

So....maybe you just aren't our type of person, you just feel this need to suffer... Rolling Eyes

I notice they don't specifically name the narcotics they put you on...

What Do You Use To Detox With?

Summer House uses a liquid cocktail which is a combination of several potent medications which you will receive every four hours around the clock in reducing doses until you are clean. One of the medications is a short acting narcotic which will, in most cases, initially meet or slightly exceed your current "habit" to ensure that you are comfortable during your stay with us.

Wean you off? Laughing

This sounds like that "controlled drinking" stuff.

Actually, it more sounds like "Brave New World" to me.

I'll just go take a soma holiday....and when I come back.....everything will be better.......yeah......

Like Phoenix said, I want to see some long term results, hard facts.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:36 am
Completely understand, Phoenix. When I first started I signed up for every one that I could find. I quickly found out which sites actually paid you and which ones didn't. They also have a forum (kind of like A2K) that keep you informed of the scams, the sites that pay, etc. Like I said, it's not a lot of money but an extra $200-$300 a month buys a lot of cat food or helps pay the vet bills. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:36 am
Do the research.

It's not like this is a new method. It's been around for decades.

Works for some. Not for others.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
Chai Tea,

You seem to have had much the same reaction that I did. I am trying to find more info on this. Haven't been too successful yet but will let you know.

ehbeth,

This has been around for that long? Man, no one told me! This is the first time I have heard of this. I have heard of places that give you Librium or something to help with withdrawal but not to this extent.

Ok, I have looked their site over fairly well and can find nothing on their statistics of success rate. So, I sent them this email:

[quote]I have been looking over your site. I have been unable to find any kind of recovery statistics concerning your process. Could someone please contact me with this information? Thank you.[/quote]

I will let everyone know as soon as I hear something. I'm curious as to why they post no success statistics.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
I am still trying to find recovery statistics! Why can't I find any? Anyway, here is an article on another kind of quick fix (IMO).

http://www.opiates.com/media/drugs-for-drugs.html

Quote:
"You never go down, you never come off the meth and hit that bottom."

I just have one question, how can you recover from your addiction without hitting a bottom? It took me hitting that bottom to even realize I had a problem.

Maybe I'm just ticked I had to do it the hard way? Wouldn't change it though.

Anybody see shewolfnm? I'd sure like to know what she thinks about this.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:41 pm
I dont have too much of an opinion on this one, as all detox centers have thier own "ideals" and goals.

The statement about 95% of people finish the detox was funnier then hell though.

OF COURSE they will finish it.. for christs sake, they are locked up in a facility and getting free drugs.. DUH . Laughing

Cold turkey , for some people , can be a deadly way to stop what ever drug their body is addicted to . So weaning is the best option for those people.

One way or another, the addict must have made the decision to stay clean , or any type of treatment is , essentially.. a waste .
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
This place is a bloody spa! Laughing

Places like this make me sad for one reason: If you have $600 dollars a day to spent on a comfy treatment center, you're already in a position to get help and to get someone to listen to you.

Good for anyone who does get help at this place, hey, whatever works.

This place seems mainly a place of business.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Shewolfnm,

I have to admit I thought you would have a much stronger reaction to Summer House. Interesting.

flushd,

I hear ya! A spa for sure! I would imagine they do a heck of a business. It seems they don't have much of a prerequisite for anything. I mean, how can you even say you have a desire to get clean if you are going somewhere that you know they are going to give you drugs every four hours?

And, I still can't find any statistics on how successful this kind of treatment is.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
Some folks need soft easy approaches, some need hard knuckles rapping their thick skulls. Everybody is different. In both of my long runs of sobriety (I am in the second one now for several 24s) I went directly to the rooms of A.A. I did not use a detox or rehab. My first time I shook like a leaf for several months and was in constant terror. My second time was after a 2 week binge and the shakes were not a part of it. Shame was. Shame and embarrassment at having forgotten how bad it was. Embarrassment at seeing my name in the local paper for having been an extremely drunken fool in a public place.

Nobody in either case ran the soft and easy route with me, they just stayed to the side to see what I would do next and when I asked for help insisted on discussing things fully first before giving me any help. I had to explain what I was in need of and why and what it would mean for or against my future.

Over the years I have seen people who have gone to detox and rehabs who have stayed sober on the first try and others who after a dozen or more times can't do it, and then they go cold turkey and it works. For others the cold turkey method fails to work. A different glove for each of us.

Not being a touchy-feely sort, or a Child within advocate, I needed a harder approach and I got that. I have seen others who are tender and need soft gentle nurturing.

If someone had hugged me at the start I would have run off and kept drinking, but others need that...again, we are all different even though we are all essentially the same when it comes to alcoholism (and from what I can tell dry goods/drug addiction as well).

Tapering off would not have worked...I know. I tried that method as well, and the same thing happened every time, I would go and get more. Would it have worked in a lock down ward or rehab place where escape was impossible? Perhaps, but I sense the negative feeling of having something withheld from me, even for my own good would have meant my leaving the rehab and getting rip-roaring drunk again as soon as I could.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:15 pm
Sturgis,

Exactly! I'm still rather shocked by this whole deal with Summer House. I guess that's because I only know the one way and that was the way that worked for me. I don't think anyone should be punished for being addicted to something but I really feel this place borders along the lines of rewarding someone.

Shoot, if I was going to relapse I'd know where to go! Just kidding. Still can't find any statistics on how well this kind of treatment works. It's driving me nuts.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:21 am
Well, when I got up this morning I had a message from Summer House on my answering machine! A really nice guy asked me to call him back so he could answer any questions I may have.

He really seemed sincere. He didn't sound like he was drumming up business or anything. I'm still not sure how I feel about this process.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:47 am
Quote:
He really seemed sincere. He didn't sound like he was drumming up business or anything. I'm still not sure how I feel about this process.

MA- Of course he does not sound like a salesman. That would be a turn-off. He sounds like a very slick operator, whose boss is running a very lucrative business.

Quote:
Bottom line is your on your own after detox to make what you will of it, we plant seeds for recovery .

So they will have you "gently" detoxify, and then it's off and running again. Any detox facility that does not have a comprehensive aftercare program, is, IMO, a waste of time and money. They are simply dealing with the physical effects, and not teaching clients new behaviors that would keep them clean.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:51 am
Phoenix,

Hey, I'm pretty much in agreement with you. Now, in one of the emails they sent me they did say they would have three people working to see that I got into an aftercare program, i.e., residential or something.

I thought I had made my emails to them general enough so they wouldn't actually think I was looking to sign up, but I guess not! I want to email them and tell them that I was just curious and all but I'm afraid they will just tell me I'm in denial! Shocked

The thing that gets me is they keep stressing how it is "my responsibility to see that my recovery is successful", which actually it is, but it sounds like a disclaimer or something to me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
[quote="Momma Angel]This has been around for that long? Man, no one told me![/quote]

Quote:
Medically supervised detoxification treatment has traditionally been seen as the gold standard and as the logical starting point of treatment. Traditional detox has involved treatment with prescription medications, which produce similar physiological responses, less psychoactivation, and which can be more precisely regulated and tapered as the patient's metabolism readjusts to functioning without the addictive drug (McLellan, Arndt, Metzger, Woody, & O'Brien, 1993). Taking an average of 3 to 15 days, depending on the abused drug, medical detox controls but does not eliminate subjectively uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms (Delfs, Zhu, Druhan, & Aston-Jones, 2000).

Universally accepted addiction treatment approaches are beginning to be challenged by the emergence of innovative treatment approaches based on new understanding of the neurochemistry of addiction. One such approach, rapid detox, has emerged as an alternative that is gaining in both acceptance and popularity, evidenced by its recent showcasing in television episodes of both "E.R." and "General Hospital."

Rapid detox is an umbrella term that has come to represent a new treatment approach specifically designed to detox patients addicted to natural and synthetic opiate drugs within hours, rather than the traditional days, and to almost completely eliminate the subjective discomfort of withdrawal symptoms. Started in Europe in the late 1980s and brought to the United States in late 1996 (Biddle, 1998), rapid detox programs have grown quickly in this country.

<snip>

Quote:
The compelling and distressful nature of withdrawal is one of the largest barriers to successful detox treatment from opiate dependency. Treatment of opiate addiction entails either controlled cold-turkey detox, with adjunctive drugs such as antiemetics used to mediate withdrawal discomfort, or attempts at detox using a traditional pharmacological-substitution approach, where a drug with similar pharmacologic effects but with less subjective euphoric "rush" is used instead.

lots of studies to follow up at the end of that article

link
0 Replies