Dubai Ports: Shame on the Democrats!

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Foreign investment in the States is well and good, but scrutiny is warranted when the investment causes the foreign investor to be an integral part of the domestic infrastructure which raises national security concerns.

"domestic infrastructure "?

You mean, like airlines? Or like auto manufacturers? Or cargo operators?

Or do you mean it doesn't really matter as long as they are not Arabs?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:01 am
old europe and Walter, Our country is no longer what it used to be before the tyrant Bush took over the white house.

The fundamental religious nuts have taken over our country while this government takes away more of our Constitutional and Bill of Rights, and Americans accept the destruction of this country.

South Dakota's ban on nearly all abortions would impose six year prison terms on doctors performing abortions while we have untrolled illegal immigration into our country with no peanlty for those abbeting this crime.

This government has launched an investigation into leaks of classified information that will eventually lead to the imprisonment of reporters making secrecy of government actions a de facto "Official Secrets Act" making any reporting a criminal act.

Americans do not realize the dangers of such power of government taking away the "freedom of the press."

Bush got us into this quagmire on lies in Iraq that continues to cost us in American lives and treasure, but the American people are silent. This administration keeps telling the American People about the "progress" being made, while most people know that Iraq is drifting aimlessly into civil war and political stalemate between the Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds. Who are they kidding?

We must not also forget that this government got us into this war without providing our soldieres with the proper equipment that cost our marines the unnecessary 80 percent casualty. Where's the anger?

Americans have fallen into stupid silence - afraid of the boogy man that will explode a bomb in their neighborhood. Common sense is totally gone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:02 am
As Bill said, I'm posting this again and again - until I'll get an answer :wink:

Inchcape Shipping Services (ISS) operates more than a dozen port cities, including Houston, Miami and New Orleans, arranging pilots, tugs, linesmen and stevedores, among other things.
The firm is also a defense contractor which has long worked for Britain's Royal Navy. And last June, the U.S. Navy signed on too, awarding ISS a $50 million contract to be the "husbanding agent" for vessels in most Southwest Asia ports, including those in the Middle East.

That's not unknow - has been and is on the web. And when ISS was bought fully by Dubai more than a year ago - it was reported in all international business papers (and nearly any paper outsite the USA as well plus a long running topic int he special maritime/naval magazines).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:14 am
What answer do you seek, Walter? It is a great concern to many, others don't consider it as great a security risk as other risks at our ports, others don't see it as a threat at all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:19 am
Well, more than one year it wasn't a security problem at all, and even now ...

Never mind.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:22 am
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Foreign investment in the States is well and good, but scrutiny is warranted when the investment causes the foreign investor to be an integral part of the domestic infrastructure which raises national security concerns.

"domestic infrastructure "?

You mean, like airlines? Or like auto manufacturers? Or cargo operators?

Airlines -- Yes. Cargo operator -- Yes. Auto manufacturers -- No.

Quote:
Or do you mean it doesn't really matter as long as they are not Arabs?

No. That's not what I said, nor what I meant.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, more than one year it wasn't a security problem at all, and even now ...

Never mind.

Whether it was a security problem or not is an unanswered question ... but it's certainly accurate to say no incidents occurred drawing attention to that potential security problem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:27 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Whether it was a security problem or not is an unanswered question ... but it's certainly accurate to say no incidents occurred drawing attention to that potential security problem.

And what 'incidents' occured that draw attention to DPWorld? They even aren't running business in those ports!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

And what 'incidents' occured that draw attention to DPWorld? They even aren't running business in those ports!

Are you asking me why the American news media and/or Legislature finds certain issues "hot-button," and others not so much? I can't answer your question, Walter. But whether the concern is valid seems to me to be much more important.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
In summary:

- 90% of all cargo going into the country unchecked - no problem.
- Bush cutting budget for port security - no problem.
- American ally willing to invest - a danger for security, safety, national defense

Well, I'd really like to see the outcry if American companies would get blocked from investing abroad, and if those countries would cite national security issues as the reason. I'd love to see that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
Right, oe!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:41 am
old europe wrote:
In summary:

- 90% of all cargo going into the country unchecked - no problem.

Wrong.

Quote:
Well, I'd really like to see the outcry if American companies would get blocked from investing abroad, and if those countries would cite national security issues as the reason. I'd love to see that.

I, for one, would have absolutely no problem with other countries doing so. National security is an issue for all sovereign countries.

And your expressed desire that you would "love to see that," indicates a strong desire to see negative things happen to the US. And that's not a huge surprise at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
old europe, Me too! For whatever reasons, Americans have lost all common sense, logic, and Americanism as we used to know it. Bush did an excellent job of destroying this country; the only thing he was good at.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Ticomaya wrote:
And your expressed desire that you would "love to see that," indicates a strong desire to see negative things happen to the US. And that's not a huge surprise at all.

What do you mean by "negative things", Tico? Do you mean, if somebody would act towards the United States in a way the US act towards other countries, that would constitute "negative things"?

Expand, Tico.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
- We must block them! They are a danger to national security!
- I'd like to see that happen to the US...
- You want negative things happen to the US!

Do as I say....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:52 am
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

What do you mean by "negative things", Tico?

"Negative things" as in "taking the US down a few pegs." Throw your hat in with all of the other "blame America first" folks who would love to see negative things happen to the US. (Although I certainly have more of an issue with the American citizens who share such views than with you, OE.)

Quote:
Do you mean, if somebody would act towards the United States in a way the US act towards other countries, that would constitute "negative things"?

Expand, Tico.

It doesn't matter, honestly. Even if you characterize it as "The US got what it deserved," you are reveling in negative things happening to the US.

If the US is denied investment opportunities in other countries based on security reasons, it's no skin off my nose, and it's the basic and fundamental right of those countries to draw the line. I'm simply pointing out your "I'd be dancing in the streets if it happened" mentality (please excuse the hyperbole).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:56 am
Seems to me, Tico, that you beat about the bush ("dance around the hot porridge" is the German saying for that :wink: ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:59 am
I'm American, and I agree with old europe that what's good for the goose is good for the gander for whatever reasons. World commerce is already established; the use of "security" as a justification for denial of free trade is not just. It's based on fear. There's a big difference between crime and economics. No matter who perpetrates crimes - whether foreign or domestic - they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the laws.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
old europe wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

What do you mean by "negative things", Tico?

"Negative things" as in "taking the US down a few pegs." Throw your hat in with all of the other "blame America first" folks who would love to see negative things happen to the US. (Although I certainly have more of an issue with the American citizens who share such views than with you, OE.)

Quote:
Do you mean, if somebody would act towards the United States in a way the US act towards other countries, that would constitute "negative things"?

Expand, Tico.

It doesn't matter, honestly. Even if you characterize it as "The US got what it deserved," you are reveling in negative things happening to the US.

If the US is denied investment opportunities in other countries based on security reasons, it's no skin off my nose, and it's the basic and fundamental right of those countries to draw the line. I'm simply pointing out your "I'd be dancing in the streets if it happened" mentality (please excuse the hyperbole).

Nope. Not at all. What Walter said, Tico. Hot porridge.

You're saying it's absolutely okay what the US are doing in blocking a foreign investor, citing national security.

You're saying that, if other countries did that vice versa, blocking US companies from investing, it would be absolutely okay, too.

I'm saying, "well, I'd love to see the outcry that would generate".

And you're making that into "You would love to see negative things happen to the US", "blame America first", "you want the US going down" clamour.

You're a hoot.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:14 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Seems to me, Tico, that you beat about the bush ("dance around the hot porridge" is the German saying for that :wink: ).

Care to elaborate?
0 Replies