Ulcer

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:31 pm
Montana,

I'm sorry that you will have problems with this from now on but I think I can offer you some encouragement.

My husband was diagnosed with this well over five years ago now. He had the exact procedure you are speaking of. It worked wonders! Before the procedure he could barely eat without getting so choked up he would become very ill with vomiting.

He had the procedure (it wasn't bad. Under a good sedation and he was flying for awhile.) and now he doesn't get choked up at all. He does take Prilosec everyday and as long as he does that, he has no problems.

I'm sure just the thought of the procedure is a bit scary but it was done at the doctor's office and there were no complications whatsoever. So, I would say you will start to feel much better as soon as you get this taken care of.

As a matter of fact, right after we left the doctor's office and he was still pretty loopy from the anesthesia, he insisted we go to Cracker Barrel and he had a huge roast beef dinner! Shocked Laughing Of course, then he fell asleep in the truck on the way home and couldn't remember he ate, but hey! He ate with no problems! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:39 pm
Yeah, I am really creeped out about what they have to do, but I know I'll probebly feel much better for it.
I guess I'll need to find someone to drive me in if I'm going to be all doped up.

I do like the doped up part though Laughing

Actually, I don't think I'd be able to handle it without some good drugs Shocked

Thanks momma, as usual you made me feel better :-D

Now if I could recover from those freaking gas prices, I'll be good to go Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:44 pm
Well, I can't help with the gas prices, but I'm glad that I could help a bit with this.

Good drugs? Oh my! Montana, he was flying so high he couldn't walk straight by himself. I tried and tried to convince him to let's just go home and I'd fix him something to eat but he wouldn't have it. I know everyone at the restaurant thought he was drunk or something. But, as long as he felt better, I didn't care.

I don't know how much the acid reflux hurts personally, but I can see what it does to someone else and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So, lay back, let them give you the drugs, and just enjoy girl! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:47 pm
Laughing Thanks, I think I will Laughing Drunk

Did your husband ever mention breathing better after the procedure?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:05 pm
Actually Montana, yes. He is a singer and always had good breath control, etc., but right before (a few months) he had the procedure he was having difficulty finishing up his sets because of the breathing. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it.

I remember one night he was singing "My Way" by Frank Sinatra and all of a sudden he just threw the microphone down and ran off the stage into the bathroom and was violently ill. He said he just couldn't breathe.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you have this done Montana. He didn't even have any soreness from the procedure. Only good effects. He could eat without choking. No heartburn or indigestion. Breathes better, etc. As far as I'm concerned having to take one pill a day for the rest of his life is a small price to pay for the hell I saw him go through just one time from an attack. He agrees that this is true. I would imagine it will be the same for you. :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:37 pm
An ulcer can cause WAY more damage than acid reflux, Montana. Be happy you don't have one!!! (Lotsa horror stories out there.)

Lots and lots of people have acid reflux, and there are good meds. As soon as you get this little procedure over with, you may be able to take your pill everyday and not worry about it anymore.

(These are not great days for you, are they?! Rolling Eyes Man, I wish your luck would change!)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:59 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Actually Montana, yes. He is a singer and always had good breath control, etc., but right before (a few months) he had the procedure he was having difficulty finishing up his sets because of the breathing. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it.

I remember one night he was singing "My Way" by Frank Sinatra and all of a sudden he just threw the microphone down and ran off the stage into the bathroom and was violently ill. He said he just couldn't breathe.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you have this done Montana. He didn't even have any soreness from the procedure. Only good effects. He could eat without choking. No heartburn or indigestion. Breathes better, etc. As far as I'm concerned having to take one pill a day for the rest of his life is a small price to pay for the hell I saw him go through just one time from an attack. He agrees that this is true. I would imagine it will be the same for you. :wink:

This is really good news because I have also had problem with my breathing, especially when I'm working in the moist atmosphere of the lobster shop where I work.
Eating mints use to help and my doc says that's because pepermint relaxes certain organs, but it also triggers acid reflux, so while it was helping the breathing, it was making the reflux worse <sigh>

I don't mind taking a pill like that every day for the rest of my life because those pills are harmless and don't harm the organs like a lot of meds, so the only down side now is that doc says it'll be a while before I can have it done, due to the long waiting list and if I don't get the job I applied for last week, it's off to the lobster shop without my mints Shocked

Anyway, thank you so kindly for taking away my fear for the procedure and getting me to actually look forward to it :-D
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
Montana,

If I eased your anxiety at all, I am thrilled to have been of some help. Please keep us updated about this. I would really like to hear how you are doing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:08 pm
Eva wrote:
An ulcer can cause WAY more damage than acid reflux, Montana. Be happy you don't have one!!! (Lotsa horror stories out there.)

Lots and lots of people have acid reflux, and there are good meds. As soon as you get this little procedure over with, you may be able to take your pill everyday and not worry about it anymore.

(These are not great days for you, are they?! Rolling Eyes Man, I wish your luck would change!)

Yeah, I know ulcers can do some major damage, but if they're treated at the beginning, you're good to go.

Not good days at all, but I do try to keep in mind that things could be worse and if my luck does change, maybe it'll be Friday when they read me my winning numbers for the nice little $30,000.000 jackpot Shocked

Boy, they say that money can't buy happiness, but I sure could park my yaught right next to it Cool

Thanks, Eva :-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:19 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Montana,

If I eased your anxiety at all, I am thrilled to have been of some help. Please keep us updated about this. I would really like to hear how you are doing.

If I end up going back to the shop next week, I'm afraid you guys won't be seeing very much of me here at all for about 6 weeks, depending on the fishing season.
I'll be working 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week for up to 8 weeks and my online time gets cut down to checking the weather and the lottery <sigh>

I will do my best to update when I can, though.

Thanks again for being so thoughtful :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:19 pm
Hi Montana, good to hear that you've got a diagnosis of something treatable.

Did the doc talk to you about dietary and lifestyle modifications that can help you now and later on?

http://www.patienthealthinternational.com/article/508782.aspx

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/

Not surprisingly, decreasing stress is an important thing [much like folks with allergy symptoms that are exacerbated by stress]

http://www.heartburnalliance.org/section3/1001.jsp

~~~~~~~~~~

Good general source of info

medlineplus page on acid reflux ... click

~~~~~~~~~~

It really is great to hear that you've got a doc who stayed on top of getting you a diagnosis.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:22 pm
Monti, I've had both GERD (acid reflux) and an ulcer. They are both under control. I eat tons of chili peppers, and that's not a problem, unless, of course, I have an open ulcer. My acid reflux began 45 years ago. I lived on Rolaids and milk. But I've found that the gain of just a few pounds can make the condition worse. Somehow the added weight causes pressure on the diaphram pushing acid up into the esophagous (or something like that), but when my weight is down, no problem. When I have an "episode" I just take zantac (over the counter) for a week or two and it goes away. I never take rolaids or tums anymore.
When you have your gastroscope (where they look down into your esophagous and stomach), the mild drug they'll give you makes the entire procedures quite comfortable. You'll think you're awake--listening to the doctor talking to you--but later you'll realize that you were'nt completely conscious.
Your scaring--something that I've avoided, miraculously given the number of years I've lived with GERD--IS serious if not corrected. It is called Barret's Syndrome/Esophagous and can be a PRE-cancerous condition that should be eliminated. So I recommend that you follow through with the doctor's treatment. Here I feel like Momma Angel.
I'm sure you'll be fine if you follow up on the treatment.
Survivor JL
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:44 pm
Beth that was very informative stuff, thanks :-D
0 Replies