Why the Muslims are so angry

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
http://www.news24.com/Images/News24v2/NewMasthead/newtop_logo.gif

Quote:
Why the Muslims are so angry

09/02/2006 10:05 - (SA)

As the Muslim world seethes with anger over the depiction of their Prophet Muhammad, there is a deathly silence in Saudi Arabia, the original home of fundamentalist Islam.

Since the furore over the Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad has exploded across the world, expats in Saudi have nervously discussed the issues at home, wondering why there haven't been any loud noises coming from the Saudis themselves.

We'd discuss the issue among ourselves, sure, but wouldn't dare talk to Saudis or any other of the millions of Muslims from all over the world, living among us about how they felt about their Prophet being belittled.

http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/20060208160039cartoon.jpg

The topic is just too hot and sticky. And also because we know just how sacred the Prophet is to Muslims, and how upset they're bound to be.

But to write this column, I had to step over the barrier. I phoned a well-known and respected Saudi businessman from Jeddah, Dr Hosam Joma. A well-educated, proud Saudi and moderate Muslim.

He explained that firstly, protests are outlawed in Saudi. And secondly, the Saudis, a civilised nation despite how many Westerner journalists portrayed them, have chosen to respond by boycotting Danish products, from butter to hi-fi equipment and insulin medication.

In Friday sermons imams across the Desert Kingdom urged followers to not buy Danish as a more sensible way to protest the cartoons than by creating hate speech posters or setting light to embassies.

He says that up to 50% of all Denmark's agricultural produce is sold in Saudi Arabia, and sure enough, there isn't a pack of Lurpak to be seen anywhere.

Some 11 000 Danish workers face the sack if boycotts of their products stay in place in the Middle East. While the European Union has threatened to take legal action against Saudi Arabia if they boycott Danish products, the Saudi government said they didn't order the removal of Danish products, the people did it themselves. You can't fight that.

So why, exactly, are Muslims so angry?

Dr Joma explains. "The main difference between Western culture and the culture of Islam is the West holds nothing sacred anymore, and it's evident in their movies, literature, referring to God as 'the guy upstairs', etc. Religion may be something they indulge in once a week on a Sunday, but for a Muslim, there is no separation between every day life and religion. Your religion permeates and directs every aspect of your life.

Muslims view all the prophets, Jesus included, as sacred, as they do the Bible, Quran and Torah which all embody the holy word of God.

In Islam, the Prophet Muhammed is the highest, most sacred person to ever walk the earth, and if someone disgraces him, and if you don't do something to stop it, it will be a sign of having weak faith.

It's your duty to defend his honour because if you don't, even not in the smallest of ways, your life will be without meaning. Those who interpret the Quran more literally believe the Prophet instructed them to punish and execute whoever insults a prophet.

The Prophet Muhammad plays such a central role in the faith of more than the 1.3 billion Muslims worldwide, that to them his status as a messenger of God makes him second only to God (Allah) himself.

While the Quran doesn't explicitly prohibit the depiction of human figures, Muslims read certain Quranic verses as meaning that Allah and His prophets cannot be captured in an image by human hand - such is God's grandeur.

And if anyone tried to do so, it leads to idolatry, where the representations themselves can become the object of worship. Aside from the pictorial representations of the Prophet - what has angered even secular Muslims, are attempts to equate him and Islam as a whole with terrorism. (One cartoon shows an image of Muhammad with a bomb tucked into his turban.)

'Insult me, but not my religion'

My dear friend Muhammad from Bangladesh says "people can insult me, but not my religion. Nobody has the right to insult or disgrace anybody's religion, regardless of what it is. There is no freedom in that."

He illustrates, without justifying, the rising anger among Muslims against Western nations by comparing the two worlds to two children. "If a father treats one child with love and kindness, and he beats, kicks and belittles the other, the rejected child will turn to violence himself, in turn beating, kicking and belittling those who are against him."

Many Muslims agree that violence and aggression are not the right way to defend the Prophet's honour, and are calling for calm and encouraging people to use their right to impose economic and political boycotts.

Unfortunately this message is not reaching the farther slung corners of the globe, where some Muslims are raging a holy war against any nation involved in publishing the cartoons.

"The result is they are giving the West even more reason to portray the Prophet as a terrorist and violent aggressor. That's just what the West wants. So they can say 'See, we can't talk to them' and 'Theirs is a bloody religion'", says Dr Joma.

And what with the howls of "democracy and freedom" from the one corner, and the storming of embassies and burning of flags from the other, the voice of moderate, sensible Islam is drowned out.

'Part of the West's strategy'

If Muslims have felt there has been a conspiracy against them, starting with the invasion of Afghanistan, then Iraq, (and comparing it to the Christians' Medieval wars against Muslims in the Holy Land) they feel it all the more so now. They view the cartoons as part of the West's strategy to eradicate Islam and destroy the Muslim culture.

Up to now, most Muslims have felt they could tolerate the killing of thousands of innocents in Iraq, but the cartoons have unified Sunnis, Shi'ites; all the Muslim sects, like no other single act of Western aggression against them has.

"They've actually done us a favour", says Dr Joma. "Instead of driving us apart, they've drawn us together. No Muslim, regardless of how conservative or moderate he or she is, will tolerate the denigration of their most sacred symbol; the most revered person in Islam.

The Danes and their supporters have made a double mistake. Not only did they insult Islam, they insulted the Prophet." It's not a mistake, whether committed out of ignorance or arrogance, the Muslim world will easily forget.

Why did it take so long for the story to gain momentum? Apparently Danish Muslims wanted to take the matter up with the Danish prime minister, but he refused to give them an audience. When they tried to go via the courts, they were told 'they have no case'.

So they took it outside of Denmark and within a couple of weeks the world was split in two. France, the US, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, and more rallied behind Denmark, while Muslims countries including Indonesia, Pakistan, Afghanistan and those in the Middle East, stood up in defiance.

Can anybody tell me when will the voices of reason finally be given centre stage? And the wonderful free press that increasingly feeds off blood and guts, take responsibility for its actions? Surely you can't throw a cat among the pigeons and then stand back in horror when there's a fight for survival?

I'll leave you with the words on the Arabian website The Nomad Universe: "In our imaginary universe the right and left are just placeholders for confusion."

Laura van Niekerk, or Laura of Arabia, is a South African expat currently living in Saudi Arabia.
News24
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,464 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:56 pm
Next, let's all learn about why so many of them seem to make their points by massacring innocent people, for example suicide bombers in Israel?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:15 pm
Good ol' Brandon, always ready to make his point regardless of whatever content he's supposedly responding to. So predictable...so irrelevant...
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:19 pm
http://www.ifamericansknew.org/images/title.gif

Why don’t we know what is going on in Israel & Palestine?

Quote:
Question

Recent studies of U.S. media coverage of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict reveal that the media reported Israeli children’s deaths at rates 7 to 40 times greater than Palestinian children’s deaths. Some typical examples:
In 2004, when 8 Israeli children were killed and 179 Palestinian children were killed, NBC reported on 100% of Israeli children’s deaths and on 10% of Palestinian children’s deaths, ABC on 100% and 11%.
The New York Times reported on 50% of Israeli children’s deaths and 7% of Palestinian children’s deaths.
In the first six months of the current uprising – during which time four Israeli children were killed and 93 Palestinian children were killed – the San Francisco Chronicle reported prominently on 150% of the Israeli children’s deaths (through repetitions) and on 5% of the Palestinian children’s deaths.
A 2004 study of Portland’s Oregonian newspaper revealed headline coverage on 88% of Israeli children’s deaths and on 2% of Palestinian ones.

At least 82 Palestinian children were killed before the first Israeli child. Why is there such an immense differential in reporting on deaths related to the ethnicity of the victim? Why are so few Palestinian children’s deaths being reported to the American public?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Good ol' Brandon, always ready to make his point regardless of whatever content he's supposedly responding to. So predictable...so irrelevant...

Your assertion that my response is off topic is false. The first post of this thread seems intended to suggest that the Muslims have a legitimate reason for acting as they have over this issue, or some degree of legitimacy. I am pointing out that any grievance this type of fanatical Muslim may have is nullified by the way they express their grievances, and that they are not properly an object of sympathy. One who posts in a thread is not required to be led around by the nose by the thread founder. If I started a thread that said, "Let's list all the terrible things that ethnic group X has done," I promise you that the posts I got would not consist solely of such lists. A poster in a thread may quite properly respond to what the thread founder seems to be suggesting. Didn't you know that?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:22 pm
Threads often meander around, of course.

But yours was the first response in a new thread. The topic has to do with why Muslims are so angry. You respond by saying that "many of them seem to make their points by massacring innocent people, for example suicide bombers in Israel."

You couldn't wait to hijack the thread to be about murderous Muslims, as if that explains everything.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:42 pm
They are basically resentfull. For the loss of the caliphate. The indignity of having western imposed tyrants and kings rule over them. They resent western interference in muslim lands over oil. They dont like the west sneering at their backward and repressive religion which once formed the basis of a great empire. And instead of reforming Islam, they retreat into ever more austere and ultimately violent manifestations of their religion.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:43 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
They are basically resentfull. For the loss of the caliphate. The indignity of having western imposed tyrants and kings rule over them. They resent western interference in muslim lands over oil. They dont like the west sneering at their backward and repressive religion which once formed the basis of a great empire. And instead of reforming Islam, they retreat into ever more austere and ultimately violent manifestations of their religion.

well put.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:51 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

well put.
thanks

I also think this muslim anger has been deliberately chanelled by the west at first as a strike force against the Russians and more recently to serve as the 'global enemy' which we all hate in place of communism.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:54 pm
we're not at war with the communists. we never were... we're at war with the muslims. we've always been at war with the muslims.

latest reports in show that the chocolate rations for each citizen were increased.

I'm so grateful to be a prole.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:58 pm
I know where you are coming from and its hard not to see the parallels.

The Islamists are killing us because they hate us. We are killing muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan etc because they get in the way of extracting oil. Its nothing personal.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:10 pm
I, too, think you've hit the nail on the head, Steve.

Last night I head Sen. Schumer on, of all shows, O'Reilly's. Schumer is a Democrat, but no lefty. If anything, he seemed to be bending over backward to appeal to the idiots who like O'Reilly. Anyhow, he did say one reasonable thing. If a militant Jew or Christian does something outrageous, there are moderate voices in each group to present another point of view. Not so with the Muslims.

On the other hand, we have Bush, a militant Christian, causing havoc in Iraq (in their view), and no one is doing a damned thing to counteract him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:13 pm
That's probably because he isn't actually a "militant Christian."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
McGentrix wrote:
That's probably because he isn't actually a "militant Christian."

That is merely YOUR opinion...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:28 pm
Of course.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
D'artagnan wrote:

But yours was the first response in a new thread. The topic has to do with why Muslims are so angry. You respond by saying that "many of them seem to make their points by massacring innocent people, for example suicide bombers in Israel."

You couldn't wait to hijack the thread to be about murderous Muslims, as if that explains everything.

I didn't hijack this thread any more than someone responding to a "List the Bad Things Ethnic Group X Has Done" thread would be hijacking it by suggesting that it was an inherently faulty question. You liberals will do anything to avoid responding to the argument put forth in a conservative post such as mine. If I start a "List Bush's Greatest Triumphs in Office" thread, you know as well as I do that even the first poster might make the perfectly on-topic comment that he thought Bush had more failures than triumphs. Frankly, I deeply resent you taking my non-personal, serious, dignified post as the basis for a personal attack against me. As I say, you liberals will do anything to avoid simply countering the argument made by a conservative.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:21 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

I didn't hijack this thread any more than someone responding to a "List the Bad Things Ethnic Group X Has Done" thread would be hijacking it by suggesting that it was an inherently faulty question. You liberals will do anything to avoid responding to the argument put forth in a conservative post such as mine. If I start a "List Bush's Greatest Triumphs in Office" thread, you know as well as I do that even the first poster might make the perfectly on-topic comment that he thought Bush had more failures than triumphs. Frankly, I deeply resent you taking my non-personal, serious, dignified post as the basis for a personal attack against me. As I say, you liberals will do anything to avoid simply countering the argument made by a conservative.

oh relax brandon for God's sake. Here, have a glass of whine.....
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:34 pm
The problem with this whole cartoon issue is that it is hard not to think that the Danish newspaper that started it was doing it precisely to provoke a reaction. It commissioned intentionally offensive artwork to publish on the first day of Ramadan. This really isn't free speech, it is hate speech. Protected in Western culture, sure, but hate speech just the same. It is hard to imagine a similar project targeting Christanity or Judaism. The backlash against the newspaper would be tremendous (but not violent). None of this makes violent protests and destruction of property permissible or excusible, but for the 99+% of Muslims offended by this and not burning buildings, I can see their point of view. That Western leaders condemn the protesters while giving the paper a pass (or even defending it) must be galling.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:46 pm
D'artagnan wrote:

You know what D'art, you're pretty damn predictable yourself. And blowhardedly irrelevant.

I hope all you liberal 1st ammendment lovers saw the muslims carrying the sign saying "Our religion doesn't allow ... free speech".

You should be thrilled.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:49 pm
And oh yeah, all us 2nd ammendmend backers are the reason you can still blow on and on about the 1st.
0 Replies