McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:57 am
Canadian Nazi's dismiss freedom of speech in university's

I like catchy titles.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Einherjar wrote:
This was about censorship being imposed by vigilantes, in violation of danish law.

It wasnt yet at the moment the editors of Jyllands Posten had to make a decision. Had to decide whether to commission those cartoons, or publish the ones they did.

They faced the same choice when offered cartoons of Jesus, and they explicitly said: no we wont run them because we would be offending the feelings of the Christians among our readers, and we dont want that. That consideration apparently was brushed aside when it came to the cartoons of Mohammed and the offense those would predictably cause to Muslims.

There's the double standard; the moment they made those two decisions, there was no vigilante action yet at all, no antidemocratic fervour they had to act against; it was purely their decision of running cartoons that would offend readers, or not. The argument that they would offend them was apparently valid where it concerned Christian readers, but no longer where it concerned Muslims.

No surprise there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
Being offended and being a complete nutcase are two different things.

When I am offended, I don't threaten to kill the person.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:34 am
sozobe wrote:
Many Muslims think the West is corrupt, evil, and bent on taking over/ eradicating Islam. A lot of current events lend themselves to that interpretation -- invasion of Iraq on flimsy pretenses and what has happened since, etc.

sozobe, I agree with you on this, completely. And, there is the all-encompassing Israel land thing. What a mess.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
I look at it from this perspective:

al Qaeda was started up with fairly secular goals in mind - to oust dictatorships from the Middle East and remove American/Western influences and military bases in the Middle East which help support such authoritarian regimes. Al Qaeda, however, needed some way to get popular appeal - some medium through which its method could be disseminated and it could erect a powerbase. It, quite unsurprisingly, chose Islam: it was a way to challenge the very heart of these regimes, to show that they were propped up by infidels and to use the beliefs of the population to draw support.

Since that time especially, much of what has gone on in the Middle East has been filtered through the prism of Western, non-Muslim intervention. The war in Afghanistan is seen in this light, the war in Iraq is seen like this, sanctions on Iran are seen like this as is the failure to respect the democratic will of the Palestinian people. In each of these conflicts, not only have many ordinary Arabs seen Western intervention, but they have seen themselves powerless to do anything about it.

Now, if you have a powerless and oppressed and proud people and you start spitting in their face you will provoke a reaction. Just as we see these riots as symptomatic of "all Muslims" often enough, "all Muslims" are quite happy to agglomerate the actions of select Westerners as being symptomatic of "the West". And this "West" not only does what it wants with the Middle East for its own self-interest but shows utter contempt for the beliefs of Muslims and says time and again that it hates Islam and wants to rid politics of its influence (at the same time as Christianity becomes a major part of Western politics).

Finally, you have these cartoons which demonstrate a direct need to kick Muslims 'while they're down'. They don't come from the Americans though, but from a Danish newspaper - the sort of target that Muslims can expect to 'fight back' against. And they do - to torch a Danish embassy or two is not difficult. And once you've done that to threaten that you'll go further is the sort of talk that a schoolboy makes after he has just, unexpectedly, fought off a bully: it's a threat designed to deter.

I think it's significant how Muslims in different regions have reacted to this. In the highly politically-charged areas of Palestine, Syria and Lebanon there has been violence (with the Muslim authorities going to inordinate lengths to quell it). In places where this recent insult to Islam is not connected with the "West's interference in Arab affairs", the reaction has been very different. In New Zealand, for instance, where two newspapers published the cartoons, there was a peaceful protest in Auckland and a soundbite from a Muslim that said something like: "We just want to say that we don't appreciate people insulting our religion like this."

In the Middle East, however, it's not simply an insult. It's the outward manifestation of a West that not only hates Islam and supports the subjugation of Arabs, but openly displays it contempt of Muslim beliefs. Now there is a clear and viable focus for reprisals and a lot of Muslims (but certainly not even a majority) are taking the opportunity to vent some of their anger in these attacks.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:46 am
Thanks for the lucid and well-written post Zippo.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:50 am
nimh wrote:

They faced the same choice when offered cartoons of Jesus, and they explicitly said: no we wont run them because we would be offending the feelings of the Christians among our readers, and we dont want that. That consideration apparently was brushed aside when it came to the cartoons of Mohammed and the offense those would predictably cause to Muslims.
This does not make sense to me. Its Islam not Christianity that is at issue here. Religions should not and must not be allowed to censor the spoken or written word. Plenty of stuff is published that Christians find offensive, but by and large they ignore it. It might cause them sorrow, but they dont riot and try and kill cartoonists. I admire that, genuine hurt has been caused, but they are big enough to rise above it. Not so the Islamists. They go looking for trouble. They feed on any example of western insult or injustice against the muslims. They love it! Without it they couldn't keep the fires of jihad burning.

Anyway I have the answer to all this. Its called a compromise. The muslims accept that newspapers have the ABSOLUTE RIGHT to publish cartoons featuring Mohammed, and the newspapers accept they have a duty not to cause gratuitous offense.

But then I get the impression there is no such word as compromise within Islam.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
Yep, I'll go along with that, Steve.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:17 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Being offended and being a complete nutcase are two different things.

When I am offended, I don't threaten to kill the person.

I wasnt talking for or about the loonies who went on the rampage now in the Middle East, or strapped fake bombs on them in London.

I was talking about the many Muslims whom Jyllands-Posten knew it was going to offend (simply that, offend) with those cartoons.

<shrugs> (this is why I hate jockeying a discussion like this on 10 threads simultaneously - you keep having to repeat and restate your position again and again and again)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:40 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Its Islam not Christianity that is at issue here.

Well, what was at stake in the specific sub-discussion that my post was part of, the one sparked by the Guardian article about Jyllands-Posten having previously refused cartoons that lampooned Jesus, was the editors' double standards -- and what that comparison says about their purported motives in publishing the Mohammed cartoons. ('It's good to challenge unreasonable religious sensitivities! Uh, as long as they're Muslim, not Christian sensitivities!').

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Religions should not and must not be allowed to censor the spoken or written word.

Absolutely agreed (and agreed and agreed and agreed one more repeated time).

Its not religions or religious leaders that should tell editors what to write or not.

It is however up to editors as much as any other of us citizens ourselves to not actually go out of our way to offend fellow-citizens in these crowded countries - not unless you've got an important reason to.

Eg: Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Theo van Gogh provoking Muslims by filming scriptures on a naked woman's body in order to draw attention to domestic violence against Muslim women - wholly counterproductive, IMHO; but at least they had a persuasive motive to try.

Provoking Muslims by cartooning Mohammed (and with a bomb in his bonnet) in order to draw attention to ... eh ... that you cant draw a picture of the holy figure of that 3% minority in your country, yeah ... is, IMNSHO, an unpersuasive to outright puerile reason to offend lots of people.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Not so the Islamists. They go looking for trouble. They feed on any example of western insult or injustice against the muslims. They love it! Without it they couldn't keep the fires of jihad burning.

True. Completely agreed, there.

Actually, I'm pretty sure we most wholly agree in our take on the Islamists in this mess. Its when I look at the other side that I apparently run into trouble on these threads, because apparently, you're not supposed to or something. I mean:

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Anyway I have the answer to all this. Its called a compromise. The muslims accept that newspapers have the ABSOLUTE RIGHT to publish cartoons featuring Mohammed, and the newspapers accept they have a duty not to cause gratuitous offense.

****in hell thats what I'm talking about, innit?

Thats what people like FreeDuck and I have been saying from the very effing beginning!!

<gggrrr>

But everytime I get to the second part of that and start saying the part that goes, "newspapers should accept that they have a duty not to cause gratuitous offense" - and I empathically havent even ever used the word "duty", merely "responsibility" - you people jump all over me and tell me I'm apologising the Islamist protesters, that I'm putting the blame on Jylland-Posten and am thus eroding the right to free speech, and do I think the guys that are burning embassies or killing people are right, then? And more stuff of the sort.

Bloody exasperating. You're right, that compromise probably WONT work for the time being - first and most importantly, because the rabble-rousers in the Middle East that are fanning the flames of fury now will do anything to outshout any such compromise, and second, because anytime someone tries to state the second half of that deal, indignant people (definitely, apparently, the posters here) start going on about 'compromising the right of free speech'.

<still grrr-ing>
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
Two very different elements on this issue.,}

1. "Clash of civiizations".

he different level of enrootment of democracy in Christian and Islamic nations makes that, at this moment of human history, Christian nations have developed a healthier separation of church and State. This breeds tolerance.
It should be of no wonder that Pope Benedict XVI has recently defended what the Catholic church opposed for centuries: separation of church and state. He believes that fundamentalism (which means mixing Caesar's stuff with God's) threatens the Catholic church -or rather, the civic culture in which the modern catholic church is able to thrive, or to survive inmodestly-.
Notice that I try to put things on context. One thousand years ago, the Muslims were the relatively tolerant ones and the Christians were the fundamentalist barbarians.
Current Islamiic expressions of intolerance and blind hate (which comes from blind faith) only show that Muslim nations have been left behind culturally. Or gone backwards in some sense.

2. Dirty Politics

What's the main target of the imams and the ulamas that have set the Muslim hearts to fire? Is it Denmark? Is it Europe? Is it "the West"?
Not the main target; not even the real target.
The real target is in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, and it's the more modern, moderate and democratic part of those societies, sometimes represented in the government.
It looks like a dress rehearsal for revolution, a show of strenght, aimed against the secular elements of Muslim societies.
If we don't understand that, then we're being short-sighted, thinking only about ourselves and saving our precious butts from the foreign mobs.
0 Replies

Parker Cross

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:02 pm
Re: In Support of Muslims: Denmark Cartoons
Cliff Hanger wrote:
Okay, the Muslim reaction to the cartoons of their prophet isn't good. But, and this is where I am on their side:

Although the cartoons were published months ago, it wasn't until other countries-- France specifically, decided to publish the cartoons in the name of free speech.

France outlawed, a while ago, any form of traditional dress among all races that would indicate their religious affiliation. That meant Muslims had to dress their way-- or pay. Okay, that's their squashing of freedom of speech, freedom of dress, etc. Now they turn around and publish the cartoons and say it's freedom of speech.

Granted, Islam has not caught up with the modern world, however, a bit of sensititvity to their plight is in order.

What are your opinions about this?

Perfect example of a liberal condoning outrageous behavior from just about the most uncivilized, undeveloped, and degenerative culture on earth, all in the name of "inclusion/sensitivity". People desecrate crucifixes on a daily basis. I distinctly remember an artist that had an opening depicting the cross covered in cow excrement, yet Christians don't use that as an excuse to kill, riot, and destroy.

You are the segment of the population that allows such deranged behavior to have an effect on the civilized world. It is rather ironic that our development and advancement is such that we begin to ignore fundamental common sense.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:14 pm
Re: In Support of Muslims: Denmark Cartoons
Parker Cross wrote:
People desecrate crucifixes on a daily basis. I distinctly remember an artist that had an opening depicting the cross covered in cow excrement

What do you think about something like that when it happens, PC? Do you think it's right for them to do so?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:54 am
nimh wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
This was about censorship being imposed by vigilantes, in violation of danish law.

It wasnt yet at the moment the editors of Jyllands Posten had to make a decision. Had to decide whether to commission those cartoons, or publish the ones they did.

Yes it was, really it was. It amazes me that after all this hopla the original article hasn't been read more than it has, the whole thing is entirely out of context.

nimh wrote:

Cause they were making a point about lunatic imposed self censorship. Also, the Mohammed cartoons had been comissioned by the paper, the christian stuff hadn't, that does make a difference.

nimh wrote:
There's the double standard; the moment they made those two decisions, there was no vigilante action yet at all, no antidemocratic fervour they had to act against; it was purely their decision of running cartoons that would offend readers, or not. The argument that they would offend them was apparently valid where it concerned Christian readers, but no longer where it concerned Muslims.

No surprise there.

There was a fear of vigilante action though, manifesting itself as self censorship. The story behind the cartoons goes like this:

Some leftwing professor had written a childrensbook on islam, for indoctrination purpouses, meaning a very sympathetic outline of islam. When he went to have his book ilustrated however, and naturally you can't have a childrensbook without illustrations, he ran into trouble. Having been turned down by three illustrators, each citing fear of having their throat cut, the professor went complaining to the media about the widespread misconceptions about islam in illustrators circles.

This prompted Jyllandsposten to do an article about "the intimidation of public discourse" by islamic radicals. In doing that they also comissioned drawings of mohammad from 40 cartoonists, to see if they would succomb to self censorship. They recieved 12 cartoons, one of which does not feature any prophets, and printed the lot of them.

If you look at the original cartoons you'll see that a number of them are poking fun at the topic dealt with by the paper, such as the "easy my friends, after all it's just a drawing made by a non believing dane" one, and the one with the cartoonist nervously looking over his shoulder while making his contribution.

So as you can see, this was about supression of speech from the get go.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
I love it when fbaezer weighs in on this stuff.

Thanks for your take, makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:54 am
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Now is the time for the moderate, level-headed Muslims to come out of hiding.

They're not hiding, #3, #4 and #5:

Quote:
British Muslim groups however appealed for calm, saying the demonstrations and violence had gone too far.

Britain's leading Muslim body, the Muslim Council of Britain called for the protesters to be prosecuted. Inayat Bunglawala said: The "police should now consider all the evidence they have gathered from the protests to see if they can prosecute the extremists. Ordinary Muslims are fed up with them."

Kurshid Ahmed of the British Muslim Forum, which represents more than 600 British mosques, said: 'The reaction and demonstration by some elements within our community are not reflective of who we are."

Azhar Ali, of Labour's National Policy Forum, said: 'My fear is .. militant organisations will use this incident" and it will serve "to act as a recruiting sergeant for their causes."

(link)

They're not hiding, #6:

Quote:
In Denmark, a network of moderate Muslims condemned the attack on the Danish embassy and urged restraint: "the situation is out of control," said spokesman Naser Khader.

(link)

They're not hiding, #7:

Quote:
[Jordan newspaper] Al-Shihan published the cartoons in an article headlined 'Intifada against the Danish insult', which invited Muslims to be "reasonable". The editor asked readers: "What brings more prejudice against Islam, a foreigner's depiction of the Prophet, or a suicide-bomber who blows himself up at a wedding ceremony in Amman?"

(link)

They're not hiding, #8:

Quote:
I'm quite troubled over the cartoon controversy in Denmark, not because of the cartoons themselves, which I agree are offensive, but rather, because of the absurd overreaction of Muslims worldwide. We haven't learned from the Rushdie affair - this is yet another instance where we've gone out of our way to make ourselves look stupid.

(link)

They're not hiding, #9:

Quote:
"We're dealing with two types of ignorance, about Islam and about the freedom of speech," Sohaib Bencheikh, a prominent Islamic theologian, said of the Middle Eastern protests. "I'm surprised by the over-reaction of my fellow Muslims." [..]

"Frankly, that shows that the idea of genuine free speech has not taken root in Muslim countries," he said, adding that the Qatar-based Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawi -- one of Islam's leading preachers -- was wrong to join the call for apologies.

They're not hiding, #10:

Quote:
Rachid Benzine, a leading young Muslim intellectual, bemoaned the fact the protesting Arabs thought their faith gave them the right to use violence.

"We're witnessing the theologisation of international relations," he said. "Some say we're heading toward a clash of civilizations, but it's more like a clash of ignorances on both sides.

Both from: source

They're not hiding, #11, #12 and #13:

Quote:
Lebanese papers condemn the sacking of the Danish embassy in Beirut and accuse their government of failing to take responsibility. [..] Many Arabic commentators agree that the protests have gone too far. [..]

Lebanon's Daily Star: "The damage that the rioters did - both to Lebanese property and to the image of Islam - was far worse than that done by the cartoons."

Nabil Abu-Munsif in Lebanon's Al-Nahar: "The attack was simply an advanced attempt to blow up Lebanon and set it on fire."

Abdelkrim Ghezali in Algeria's La Tribune: "It is no coincidence that it is only in Damascus and Beirut that the embassies of Denmark and Norway were set ablaze ... Syria has every reason to want to divert the world's attention... It is time to stop exploiting the anger of the masses to achieve political goals such as saving a party or regime. Such action can also be viewed as another form of blasphemy."

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:09 am
Oh, never saw Einherjar's post there.

Einherjar wrote:
nimh wrote:

Cause they were making a point about lunatic imposed self censorship.

OK, so when a paper decides not to run Jesus cartoons because doing so would "provoke an outcry" among readers who would not "enjoy the drawings", that is not lunatic imposed self-censorship.

But if a paper is confronted with the question whether or not to publish Mohammed cartoons, deciding not to do so would suddenly be a case of dangerous, lunatic self-censorship.

Sorry, I fail to see the distinction.

Einherjar wrote:
Also, the Mohammed cartoons had been comissioned by the paper, the christian stuff hadn't, that does make a difference.

Which only begs the question...

Einherjar wrote:
Some leftwing professor had written a childrensbook on islam, for indoctrination purpouses, meaning a very sympathetic outline of islam. When he went to have his book ilustrated however, and naturally you can't have a childrensbook without illustrations, he ran into trouble.

Yup. Depicting Mohammed is considered, rationally or irrationally, blasphemous by many Muslims. So if you write a childrens book about Islam, you're going to have trouble finding illustrators willing to do so.

I realise that must have irked the childrens book writer. I dont see the elevated Cause of Overriding Political Acuteness in it, however, that would justify an editor (or whoever) to offend thousands of readers (and thats even without taking the international impact into consideration).

Every newspaper, in the West, is (or should be) free to offend. But I think it's part of an editor's responsibility to only do so when there's an overriding urgency to do so - something important that needs to be tackled through it.

The trouble of finding an illustrator for a childrens book somehow doesnt cut it as rationale, to me.

It makes it look like Jyllands-Posten merely wanted to make a point, and that's an awfully self-serving reason to offend thousands of fellow-citizens, already much-harangued ones at that (and again, not even speaking of the millions worldwide, here).

Einherjar wrote:
If you look at the original cartoons you'll see that a number of them are poking fun at the topic dealt with by the paper, such as the "easy my friends, after all it's just a drawing made by a non believing dane" one, and the one with the cartoonist nervously looking over his shoulder while making his contribution.

Yes, I did see that and remarked on it here.

Note also, however, that one of the cartoonists depicted a schoolboy in front of a blackboard, writing down (in Farsi) ""The editorial team of Jyllands-Posten are a bunch of reactionary provocateurs."

I guess that's pretty much my position , too.

Einherjar wrote:

No, I dont think you made that point.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:21 pm
nimh wrote:
OK, so when a paper decides not to run Jesus cartoons because doing so would "provoke an outcry" among readers who would not "enjoy the drawings", that is not lunatic imposed self-censorship.

But if a paper is confronted with the question whether or not to publish Mohammed cartoons, deciding not to do so would suddenly be a case of dangerous, lunatic self-censorship.

Sorry, I fail to see the distinction.

The distinction is as follows:

It's not lunatic imposed self censorship unless the self censorship results from fear of criminal retribution. Illustrators turning down the job offer had specifically cited fear of decapitation as their reason for not taking the job.

When the atmosphere is such that people can not freely express any opinion, even offensive and provocative ones, without fear of lethal retribution, freedom of speech has been curtailed.

nimh wrote:

Yup. Depicting Mohammed is considered, rationally or irrationally, blasphemous by many Muslims. So if you write a childrens book about Islam, you're going to have trouble finding illustrators willing to do so.

But would you expect them to cite fear of having theire throats slit as the reason? That's not the same as 'being sensitive' you know, although contemporary media tend to mix the two up as well.

nimh wrote:
I realise that must have irked the childrens book writer. I dont see the elevated Cause of Overriding Political Acuteness in it, however, that would justify an editor (or whoever) to offend thousands of readers (and thats even without taking the international impact into consideration).

The paper commissioned 40 mohammed drawings to see if the cartoonists would chicken out as well. You can see how the information gained through this experiment would be relevant to an article on "the intimidation of public discourse by radical muslims" and "the resulting self censorship" right? Also, if the reaction had been a peaceful one it would be nice to dispell the idea that violating this particular tabu would result in credible death threats right?

nimh wrote:
Every newspaper, in the West, is (or should be) free to offend. But I think it's part of an editor's responsibility to only do so when there's an overriding urgency to do so - something important that needs to be tackled through it.

I think that the issue of censorship, which the paper tackled through it, is.

nimh wrote:
The trouble of finding an illustrator for a childrens book somehow doesnt cut it as rationale, to me.

When several of them cite fear of violent retribution as the cause of that, it does to me.

[QUOTE"nimh"]It makes it look like Jyllands-Posten merely wanted to make a point, and that's an awfully self-serving reason to offend thousands of fellow-citizens, already much-harangued ones at that (and again, not even speaking of the millions worldwide, here).[/QUOTE]

That's another thing, you make it seem like offending people is somehow a horrible violation of ethics. I think making a point is plenty justification to offend whomever.

I pretty much think that the assessment of what is desirable content and what is not, from a taste perspective, belongs on the receiving end of mass media, and that the editors only ethical responsibility in that regard is to stick to editorial policy, which should be formed with the intention of making profit for the shareholders.

nimh wrote:
Note also, however, that one of the cartoonists depicted a schoolboy in front of a blackboard, writing down (in Farsi) ""The editorial team of Jyllands-Posten are a bunch of reactionary provocateurs."

I guess that's pretty much my position , too.

I've understood that. I think you are wrong, and I'm trying to convey why.

Einherjar wrote:

No, I don't think you made that point.[/quote]

The article that accompanied the cartoons was about this topic, and the cartoons, according to the people who published them, were commissioned "to find out whether self-censorship exists in Denmark to a greater degree than generally acknowledged".

You might want to read the first half of this.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:44 pm
Now you can dress Jesus in your favorite fashions! Just go to http://www.jesusdressup.com/index.html#
0 Replies