In Support of Muslims: Denmark Cartoons

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:30 am
Haven't found the specific press conference, but here is another article with some of the US Muslim voices:

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=813858
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
A general response to the postings-- The people who are shouting Death to whomever are on the fringes-- not the moderates.

However, a line has been crossed by printing these cartoons. The balance between free speech and taste is the issue here, and let's face it, the Danish press messed up.

Hamas has just won the elections, this has given the fringe feul.

I still empathize with the fringe on a certain level-- not with their propensity for blood revenge, but rather, with their being marginalized.

And, I am no Pacifist, but surely a political solution can be met to bridge the gap between our culture and a culture that is governed not by westernized notions of democracy.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
nimh wrote:
Yaay, thread number 7 about the subject and lets start the discussion all over again. Waiting to hit #10...

Am unclear on what you are saying here.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:37 am
McGentrix wrote:
Now is the time for the moderate, level-headed Muslims to come out of hiding.

They're not hiding, #3, #4 and #5:

Quote:
British Muslim groups however appealed for calm, saying the demonstrations and violence had gone too far.

Britain's leading Muslim body, the Muslim Council of Britain called for the protesters to be prosecuted. Inayat Bunglawala said: The "police should now consider all the evidence they have gathered from the protests to see if they can prosecute the extremists. Ordinary Muslims are fed up with them."

Kurshid Ahmed of the British Muslim Forum, which represents more than 600 British mosques, said: 'The reaction and demonstration by some elements within our community are not reflective of who we are."

Azhar Ali, of Labour's National Policy Forum, said: 'My fear is .. militant organisations will use this incident" and it will serve "to act as a recruiting sergeant for their causes."

(link)

They're not hiding, #6:

Quote:
In Denmark, a network of moderate Muslims condemned the attack on the Danish embassy and urged restraint: "the situation is out of control," said spokesman Naser Khader.

(link)

They're not hiding, #7:

Quote:
[Jordan newspaper] Al-Shihan published the cartoons in an article headlined 'Intifada against the Danish insult', which invited Muslims to be "reasonable". The editor asked readers: "What brings more prejudice against Islam, a foreigner's depiction of the Prophet, or a suicide-bomber who blows himself up at a wedding ceremony in Amman?"

(link)

They're not hiding, #8:

Quote:
I'm quite troubled over the cartoon controversy in Denmark, not because of the cartoons themselves, which I agree are offensive, but rather, because of the absurd overreaction of Muslims worldwide. We haven't learned from the Rushdie affair - this is yet another instance where we've gone out of our way to make ourselves look stupid.

(link)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:41 am
Cliff Hanger wrote:
A general response to the postings-- The people who are shouting Death to whomever are on the fringes-- not the moderates.

However, a line has been crossed by printing these cartoons. The balance between free speech and taste is the issue here, and let's face it, the Danish press messed up.

Hamas has just won the elections, this has given the fringe feul.

I still empathize with the fringe on a certain level-- not with their propensity for blood revenge, but rather, with their being marginalized.

And, I am no Pacifist, but surely a political solution can be met to bridge the gap between our culture and a culture that is governed not by westernized notions of democracy.

It is difficult to find any sympathy for anyone in this silly episode.

Imagine no religion!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
Cliff Hanger wrote:
nimh wrote:
Yaay, thread number 7 about the subject and lets start the discussion all over again. Waiting to hit #10...

There were already six threads on this subject on Able2Know - <doublechecks> no, nine, so with this one we have already hit #10 now! - and with every new thread the discussion seems to start over from scratch, with the same information and views being posted or reposted. Kind of a waste, is what I'm saying.

BLASPHEMY

Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

Support freedom of the press - buy Danish products.

My opinion of Muslims after the violence over a cartoon.

Cartoons ignite cultural combat in Denmark

Islam - Religion of Tolerance, and Peace

Are the cartoon protesters propaganda led?? *pic*

Cartoons are a purposeful provocation

Palestine: Screaming lack of geography education exposed!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:47 am
woiyo wrote:

Amen to that..!
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:54 am
woiyo wrote:

Imagine no religion!

woiyo--Can you clarify this please?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
nimh wrote:
Cliff Hanger wrote:
nimh wrote:

I figured that was your point-- the theme is being repeated, however, I didn't want to respond until I was certain.

It's a matter of opinion-- I see a difference between a thread that indicates supporting Danish media by buying Dane productsand a thread like this one. I am arguing for the case empathizing with the Muslims.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm
If they truly believed in their religion then they could rest assured that God will strike the sinners dead.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Cliff Hanger wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Imagine no religion!

Which part? The no religion part or the lack of sympathy part?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Both
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:08 pm
Children at play. This "religion stuff" is sonewhat irritating, don't you think?
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-02-07T152958Z_01_L07723729_RTRUKOC_0_US-RELIGION-CARTOONS-IRAN-HOLOCAUST.xml&rpc=22

"TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's best-selling newspaper has launched a competition to find the best cartoon about the Holocaust in retaliation for the publication in many European countries of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad.
The Brussels-based Conference of European Rabbis (CER) denounced the idea and urged the Muslim world to do likewise."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:12 pm
I agree with you again, Woiyo. Imagine no Religion!

It's easy if you try.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cliff Hanger wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Imagine no religion!

Which part? The no religion part or the lack of sympathy part?

Easy.

Why would I have sympathy for anyone who reacts with violance towards a cartoon? Why would I feel bad for a newspaper who prints stupid things like these cartoons.

If this planet suddenly woke up tomorrow and there was no religion, do you think that most of our differences could be settled through reason and logic, rather than our differences being extended due to some belief of faith?

Think of how silly this whole episode really is.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:31 pm
Just think. A nuclear war could be brewing because of this silliness.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:45 pm
I dont think I've ever agreed with Woiyo before...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
nimh wrote:
I dont think I've ever agreed with Woiyo before...

For everything, there is a first time!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:57 pm
Razz
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
NickFun wrote:
Just think. A nuclear war could be brewing because of this silliness.

A nuclear war is brewing because of this silliness-- All I can say is when they drop the bomb I want to be hit directly, none of this long-drawn out suffering, oozing from the skull and membranes crap.

Can't Hallmark come up with a greeting card to solve all of this?
0 Replies