Support freedom of the press - buy Danish products.

JustWonders

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:44 am
dlowan wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
And, for the record, Newsweek retracted the Koran story.

No they didn't...they said they were no longer so sure about one of their sources, but the US later admitted that such had occurred, though disputing how often.

Technically, they did retract it, saying their original story was found to be untrue.

A search of the records revealed a few 'abuses' by guards (5 I think), but the majority were found to be by Muslims.

The only Koran that was "flushed" was by a Muslim.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:04 am
littlek wrote:
Hey, bunny, did you have a little xmas flash back a whike ago?

You are all hallucinating, I tell you!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:25 am
Part of the reason I started this thread was because I remember how offensive I thought Monty Python's "The Life Of Brian" was, and I'm not even Christian. Not once did I think to punish the British by boycotting tea or any other UK product.

The Danish business' had nothing to do with the cartoons and therefore I think we need to support them.
Legos says their sales have gone flat in Muslim in countries (as heard yesterday on NPR). Anyone need to get a birthday present for a child?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
Pretty sure we could always use more legos. You can never have too many, you know.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
roger wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I actually think that a boycott is a perfectly legitimate, acceptible, and civilised response. If only it were the only response.

I agree, and my response to their response is to go shopping for cookies tomorrow.

That's perfectly fair. I recall springing for some Dixie Chicks cds that I didn't really need, not too long ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
roger wrote:
What's the brand name, ehBeth. I assume you like them.

Literally called Dansk.

Phoenix posted a link on the first or second page of this thread.

I love my Dansk pots and pans. They wear well - and I love the look of the ones I have ...

http://www.kitchenspeaks.com/products/cookware/images/kobenstyle_red.jpg
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:02 am
Green Witch

I think you will find that the "Danish Issue" extends beyond the publishing of the cartoons. The governement is a coalition which includes a far right party with 18% of the vote, and Danish law precludes the automatic granting of nationality to non-EU spouses.

The boycot issue is trivial. If the Danes can be moved as a nation from the heroic defense of its Jewish minority in WW2, towards the far political right, then this can be the harbinger of greater trouble to come.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:50 am
dlowan wrote:
BTW, these storms would be blown up very deliberately by the governments concerned, I wonder how spontaneous THIS storm is (as others have wondered) and how Danish cartoons got about so widely suddenly?

A Deutsche Welle opinion piece commented:

Quote:
Muslim groups in Denmark, with their interest in continuing to live in Danish society, have accepted the apology [of Jyllands-Posten's editor-in-chief]. The same does not go for Arab and Muslim countries, however. That constitutes the second aspect of this scandal: Certain actors in the Muslim world seem to view the event as a welcome opportunity to accuse the entire western world of arrogance and insensitivity to Islam.

The caricatures were spread throughout the Muslim world -- along with other, worse ones that Carsten Juste said his paper did not publish "because they breached our code of ethics."

The issue was made worse by a basic misunderstanding on the part of the protesters: Arab nations demanded an apology from the Danish government and also asked Copenhagen to punish the authors of the drawings. However, neither act is possible for a western democracy. [..] Once again, ignorance and intentional demonization supplemented each other.

link
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
Quote:
Once again, ignorance and intentional demonization supplemented each other.

Exactly. (I tried and failed to compose something like this, that's exactly it.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
I would not be one bit surprised if the Muslim World weren't being encouraged to foment a Holy War with the decadent west.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:33 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I would not be one bit surprised if the Muslim World weren't being encouraged to foment a Holy War with the decadent west.

Noddy m'love. I think that a the radical Islamists have been moving in that direction for over a decade. They have been waiting 900 years to do that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:34 am
dyslexia wrote:
I don't really have anything to add to this discussion other than my opinion that this "event" is not street generated (as in rioters run amuk) but rather A finely orchestrated "event" for diversion among the populace from more pressing issues (especially in Syria)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
<nods>
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
My folks always enjoy visiting Solvang (which bills itself as the Danish capital of America) whenever they're in California.

The pastries look yummy and they ship!!

http://www.olsensdanishbakery.com/
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 01:08 pm
http://www.bendib.com/newones/2006/february/2-5-Denmark-cartoons.jpg

Indeed the only freedom of speech left in the west is bashing Islam otherwise it does have its limits. In Europe you can be prosecuted for questioning the extant of the Holocaust or criticizing Israel’s policy given western indoctrination that such “freedom” is Anti-Semitic.” Israel and its bloody history is now the “Holy Grail” for the civilized west, the champions of human rights.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 02:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
I don't really have anything to add to this discussion other than my opinion that this "event" is not street generated (as in rioters run amuk) but rather A finely orchestrated "event" for diversion among the populace from more pressing issues (especially in Syria)

I heard you Dys.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 02:41 pm
"In Europe you can be prosecuted for questioning the extant of the Holocaust or criticizing Israel’s policy given western indoctrination that such “freedom” is Anti-Semitic.” Israel and its bloody history is now the “Holy Grail” for the civilized west, the champions of human rights."

Where can you be punished for criticizing Israel's policies, Zippo?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:02 pm
France, Belgium and Germany among other countries have laws that make denial of the Holocaust a criminal offence.

Holocaust is used to justify Israel's policies of occupation of Palestine.

Holocaust is used as a tool to silence critics of Israel
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:08 pm
I am aware of holocaust denial laws.

Where in Europe is it punishable by law to criticise the policies of Israel?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:12 pm
Denying the Holocaust = disapproval of Israel's policy. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies