Support freedom of the press - buy Danish products.

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:39 pm
Radical Muslims are calling for a boycotting of Danish products because of the political cartoons they found offensive. In a counter move there is a call to support free speech and a free press by buying Danish products. Look for Danish products in dairy, cookie, jam/jelly and bakery departments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,222 • Replies: 85
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:40 pm
Ok
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 06:46 pm
I guess I should have made this a little sexier by making the title "A2K Bans Muslims Who Won't Eat Danish Cookies".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:02 pm
Sounds good to me!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:03 pm
What the hell do they make?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:12 pm
Ever heard of Dansk?

http://www.dansk.com/index.cfm?code=21628
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:16 pm
Thanks, Phoenix. I hadn't heard of it, actually. Lovely. I just looked around and couldn't find anything. Anyone else who is aware of Danish products, please share them here.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:22 pm
there was a rather thought-provoking editorial in our paper today.
the editor pose a question :
since some priests have sodomized boys and committed other sex crimes, would it be fair to show jesus in a similar light ?
he thought that such "jokes/cartoons" would cause a lot of outcry from the christian community - probably no burning of embassies though.
remember there have been some "christians" that have killed abortion doctors and bombed clinics "in the name of jesus ".
i would not want to classify all muslims - not even the majority of muslims - as being in agreement with the hotheads . i also think that we cannot ignore that "christians" have committed some unspeakable crimes over time - and i'm not speaking of the dark ages.
i would think that the cartoonists certainly did not help ease relations between certain muslims and "the west/christians" . we would be far better off, setting good examples rather than poking a stick into the other person's eye - even if we think he is an enemy. hbg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
http://www.danish.com/html/furniture.html

http://www.georgjensen.com/gj/flash/home/homepage.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:38 pm
Hi Hamburger.

I accept your point, but Jesus, God and Christianity have been treated to more satire and indignation than you must be aware of.

I'd just ask you to consider this. Some things are vital to some and of no consequence to others--and somewhere in the middle for others.

Jihad Against Danish Newspaper
From the desk of Paul Belien on Sat, 2005-10-22 20:25
Islam is no laughing matter. The Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten is being protected by security guards and several cartoonists have gone into hiding after the newspaper published a series of twelve cartoons (see them all here, halfway the article) about the prophet Muhammad. According to the Islam it is blasphemous to make images of the prophet. Muslim fundamentalists have threatened to bomb the paper's offices and kill the cartoonists.

The newspaper published the cartoons when a Danish author complained that he could find no-one to illustrate his book about Muhammad. Jyllands-Posten wondered whether there were more cases of self-censorship regarding Islam in Denmark and asked twelve illustrators to draw the prophet for them. Carsten Juste, the paper's editor, said the cartoons were a test of whether the threat of Islamic terrorism had limited the freedom of expression in Denmark.

The publication led to outrage among the Muslim immigrants living in Denmark. 5,000 of them took to the streets to protest. Muslim organisations have demanded an apology, but Juste rejects this idea: "We live in a democracy. That's why we can use all the journalistic methods we want to. Satire is accepted in this country, and you can make caricatures," he said. The Danish imam Raed Hlayhel reacted with the statement: "This type of democracy is worthless for Muslims. Muslims will never accept this kind of humiliation. The article has insulted every Muslim in the world."

Flemming Rose, the cultural editor at the newspaper, denied that the purpose had been to provoke Muslims. It was simply a reaction to the rising number of situations where artists and writers censored themselves out of fear of radical Islamists, he said. "Religious feelings cannot demand special treatment in a secular society," he added. "In a democracy one must from time to time accept criticism or becoming a laughingstock."

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:43 pm
Quote:
Syrians Torch Embassies Over Caricatures
Feb 04 8:06 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By ALBERT AJI
Associated Press Writer

DAMASCUS, Syria

Thousands of Syrians enraged by caricatures of Islam's revered prophet torched the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus on Saturday _ the most violent in days of furious protests by Muslims in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

In Gaza, Palestinians marched through the streets, storming European buildings and burning German and Danish flags. Protesters smashed the windows of the German cultural center and threw stones at the European Commission building, police said.

Iraqis rallying by the hundreds demanded an apology from the European Union, and the leader of the Palestinian group Hamas called the cartoons "an unforgivable insult" that merited punishment by death.

Pakistan summoned the envoys of nine Western countries in protest, and even Europeans took to the streets in Denmark and Britain to voice their anger.

At the heart of the protest: 12 caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad first published in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten in September and reprinted in European media in the past week. One depicted the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb with a burning fuse. The paper said it had asked cartoonists to draw the pictures because the media was practicing self-censorship when it came to Muslim issues.

The drawings have touched a raw nerve in part because Islamic law is interpreted to forbid any depictions of the Prophet Muhammad.

Aggravating the affront, Denmark's Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said repeatedly he cannot apologize for his country's free press. But other European leaders tried Saturday to calm the storm.

Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel said she understood Muslims were hurt _ though that did not justify violence.

"Freedom of the press is one of the great assets as a component of democracy, but we also have the value and asset of freedom of religion," Merkel told an international security conference in Munich, Germany.

The Vatican deplored the violence but said certain provocative forms of criticism were unacceptable.

"The right to freedom of thought and expression ... cannot entail the right to offend the religious sentiment of believers," the Vatican said in its first statement on the controversy.

The United States called the burnings "inexcusable" and blamed the Syrian government for security failures.

"Syria must act decisively to protect all foreign embassies and citizens in Damascus from attack," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said in a statement. "We will hold Syria responsible for such violent demonstrations since they do not take place in that country without government knowledge and support."

But Denmark and Norway did not wait for more violence.

With their Damascus embassies up in flames, the foreign ministries advised their citizens to leave Syria without delay.

"It's horrible and totally unacceptable," Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moeller said on Danish public television Saturday.

No diplomats were injured in the Syrian violence, officials said. But Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds _ whose country, along with Chile, has an embassy in the same building _ said she would lodge a formal protest over the lack of security.

In Santiago, the Chilean Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the Chilean Embassy in Damascus was also torched but nobody was injured.

The demonstrations in Damascus began peacefully with protesters gathering outside the building housing the Danish Embassy. But they began throwing stones and eventually broke through police barricades. Some scrambled up concrete barriers protecting the embassy, climbed into the building and set a fire.

"With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God!" the demonstrators chanted. Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with a green flag printed with the words: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

Demonstrators moved onto the Norwegian Embassy about 4 miles away, also setting fire to it before being dispersed by police using tear gas and water cannons. Hundreds of police and troops barricaded the road leading to the French Embassy, but protesters were able to break through briefly before fleeing from the force of water cannons.

Amid the furor, Syria's Grand Mufti urged calm, noting the demonstration had started in a "nice and disciplined way," but then turned violent because of "some members who do not understand the language of dialogue."

"We never expressed our anger in such a way, and we believe that dialogue should be done through guidance and teaching, not through killing, harming and burning," Sheik Ahmed Badr-Eddine Hassoun said in remarks carried by state-run Syrian Arab News Agency, or SANA.

In Gaza, masked gunmen affiliated with the Fatah Party called on the Palestinian Authority and Muslim nations to recall their diplomatic missions from Denmark until the government apologizes.

In the West Bank town of Hebron, about 50 Palestinians marched to the headquarters of the international observer mission there, burned a Danish flag and demanded a boycott of Danish goods.

"We will redeem our prophet Muhammad with our blood!" they chanted.

Mahmoud Zahar, leader of the militant Palestinian group Hamas, told the Italian daily Il Giornale the cartoonists should be punished by death.

We should have killed all those who offend the Prophet and instead here we are, protesting peacefully." he said.

Hundreds of Iraqis rallied south of Baghdad, some carrying banners urging "honest people all over the world to condemn this act" and demanding an EU apology.

Anger swelled in Europe, too. Young Muslims clashed briefly with police in Copenhagen, the Danish capital, and some 700 people rallied outside the Danish Embassy in London.

A South African court banned the country's Sunday newspapers from reprinting the cartoons.

Iran's president ordered his commerce minister to study canceling all trade contracts with European countries whose newspapers have published the caricatures, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the caricatures showed the "impudence and rudeness" of Western newspapers against the prophet as well as the "maximum resentment of the Zionists (Jews) ruling these countries against Islam and Muslims."

The leaders of Indonesia, Malaysia and Pakistan denounced the publication of the caricatures. Pakistan's Foreign Ministry summoned nine envoys to lodge protests against the publication of the "blasphemous" sketches.

___

Associated Press writer Ibrahim Barzak in Gaza City, Gaza Strip, contributed to this report

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/04/D8FIKV4G2.html

Hey, it's the old tribal mentality rearing its ugly head. Get pissed off....................destroy. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:45 pm
"With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God!" the demonstrators chanted. Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with a green flag printed with the words: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:46 pm
Just my musings here but I suggest that there is a "politic" involved in all this rioting that has little to do with Islam.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:47 pm
Speak, brother.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:53 pm
i had a danish for breakfast

delicious
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:54 pm
I actually think that a boycott is a perfectly legitimate, acceptible, and civilised response. If only it were the only response.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:55 pm
I don't really have anything to add to this discussion other than my opinion that this "event" is not street generated (as in rioters run amuk) but rather A finely orchestrated "event" for diversion among the populace from more pressing issues (especially in Syria)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:10 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I actually think that a boycott is a perfectly legitimate, acceptible, and civilised response. If only it were the only response.

i agree with that sentiment, they are unhappy, don't buy butter cookies, but don't burn buildings
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:22 pm
dys. Yes.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
i'm sure they'll stop buying danish ham. hbg
0 Replies