Support freedom of the press - buy Danish products.

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
Chicago food distributor Suspends all Business with Denmark-based Arla Foods

<Potential business opportunity for someone in the area, I suppose>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 08:33 pm
hamburger wrote:
i'm sure they'll stop buying danish ham. hbg

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Chicago food distributor Suspends all Business with Denmark-based Arla Foods

<Potential business opportunity for someone in the area, I suppose>

Whoa! Is that "Al Jazeera" THREE?

That story is from an entity called Al Jazeera info, as opposed to the Al Jazeera people generally mean ... Al Jazeera.net (thanks again FreeDuck!) ...or Al Jazeera.com, a whole different thing again.

Anyhoo, I was exploring that site, and came across an article there, which actually seems to have been copied from here:

Ynet Op ED Piece

which gives an interesting perspective, I think.

Also interesting, the dance by the White House...caught, I guess, between a rock and Iraq;

.......The United States has been trying to improve its image in the Arab world, badly damaged by the Iraq war and U.S. support for Israel.

The State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, reading the government's statement on the controversy, said, "Anti-Muslim images are as unacceptable as anti-Semitic images," which are routinely published in the Arab press, "as anti-Christian images, or any other religious belief."

Still, the United States defended the right of the Danish and French newspapers to publish the cartoons. "We vigorously defend the right of individuals to express points of view," McCormack added.

At the United Nations, Secretary-General Kofi Annan also criticized the publication of the cartoons, but urged Muslims to forgive the offense and "move on."

"I am distressed and concerned by this whole affair," he said. "I share the distress of the Muslim friends, who feel that the cartoon offends their religion. I also respect the right of freedom of speech. But of course freedom of speech is never absolute. It entails responsibility and judgment.".....

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_3474407

Does anyone have a link to all the cartoons?

I have only seen one, and I thought it perfectly within the bounds of acceptable satire, not hate speech, but I haven't seen tham all, and I am interested.

We have conrtributed a princess and half an heir to Denmark recently, is that sufficient?

I don't think I normally consume anything Danish...unless allusions to Hans Christian Anderson (sen?) count?

By the way, I have googled the story about the Chicago firm, and not come up with any source other than the Al Jazeera info one....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:48 pm
I'm in. I'll check my favorite grocery store tomorrow!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:51 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I actually think that a boycott is a perfectly legitimate, acceptible, and civilised response. If only it were the only response.

I agree, and my response to their response is to go shopping for cookies tomorrow.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:07 pm
Oh God and that makes thread # 5 about this topic ...

Perhaps I should get out the firework for # 10 ...

More info and background in this thread: BLASPHEMY

And in this thread (at least, from about page 7 onwards): Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

(I posted a set of summaries of relevant background news stories on both)

cjhsa posted this one, but it went OT pretty quickly: Islam - Religion of Tolerance, and Peace

Pan posted a pic of all the cartoons, but its too small to really see well, on the Meaning of life <cartoons, etc> thread

And finally I posted a thread on a flippant aside re: the whole thing: Palestine: Screaming lack of geography education exposed!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:12 pm
Larger versions of cartoons here:

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/Mo_Cartoons.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:23 pm
Thanks, Soz.

Hmmm..interesting...most of the stuff satirizing christians that I have seen, use the contrast between what Jesus taught, and what they practice/preach/support.

This really attacks Mohammed, in a way that I don't think Jesus gets attacked.

Still, free speech is well worth fighting for.

Mebbe some ham....or cheese.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:27 pm
Havarti!

I just saw them now, in looking for them (after squinting at Pan's and thinking they MUST be SOMEWHERE at a visible size) and I'm surprised at how some of them are very straightforward -- really more illustrations than cartoons.

But then some of them are pretty awful, and the lot of them, by existing, are the equivalent of flipping the bird.

Sigh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:27 pm
My good pots and pans are all Dansk (thanks hamburger and mrs. hamburger), but I don't need anymore.

Isn't Lego Danish?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:36 pm
sozobe wrote:
Havarti!

I just saw them now, in looking for them (after squinting at Pan's and thinking they MUST be SOMEWHERE at a visible size) and I'm surprised at how some of them are very straightforward -- really more illustrations than cartoons.

But then some of them are pretty awful, and the lot of them, by existing, are the equivalent of flipping the bird.

Sigh.

Yep.

And different, and nastier, as I said, from most of the stuff about christians, at least that which I have seen, because of the way in which the prophet, NOT just the followers, is portrayed. Plus the offence at representing him, which is, I understand, grave in and of itself.

Still, fair satire, methinks.

Not like buggering up korans in front of helpless prisoners and such.

Is there a translation anywhere for whatever is being said in the line up one?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
dlowan wrote:
We have conrtributed a princess and half an heir to Denmark recently, is that sufficient?
Quote:

I'd think so Smile
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:44 pm
And, for the record, Newsweek retracted the Koran story.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:47 pm
What's the brand name, ehBeth. I assume you like them.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:52 pm
dlowan wrote:
Is there a translation anywhere for whatever is being said in the line up one?

This is from the special, and already bogglingly extensive, Wikipedia page on the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy:

Quote:
A police line-up of seven people, with the witness saying: "Hm... jeg kan ikke lige genkende ham" ("Hm... I can't really recognise him").

Not all people in the line-up are immediately identifiable. They are: (1) A generic Hippie, (2) politician Pia Kjærsgaard, (3) possibly Jesus, (4) possibly Buddha, (5) possibly Muhammad, (6) a generic Indian Guru, and (7) journalist Kåre Bluitgen, carrying a sign saying: "Kåres PR, ring og få et tilbud" ("Kåre's public relations, call and get an offer")

The page includes an overview of descriptions / translations of each cartoon here. Interesting, actually, also cause the cartoons apparently span the range from outright offensive to self-mockingly ironic. Now that I see the translation, I kinda like this one:

Quote:
Two angry Muslims charge forward with sabres and bombs, while Muhammad addresses them with: "Rolig, venner, når alt kommer til alt er det jo bare en tegning lavet af en vantro sønderjyde" (loosely, "Relax guys, it's just a drawing made by some infidel South Jutlander". The reference is to a common Danish expression for a person from the middle of nowhere.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:06 am
JustWonders wrote:
And, for the record, Newsweek retracted the Koran story.

No they didn't...they said they were no longer so sure about one of their sources, but the US later admitted that such had occurred, though disputing how often.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:10 am
Actully, similar kinds of fussses, though not so extreme, were often made by Indonesia and Malaysia about criticisms of their government made in Australian newspapers.

It seems to be very hard for people with only a fledgeling free press (in some countries, and beamed in by others) to really GET it that our governments cannot simply make papers withdraw stuff and apologize.

That seems to be some of what is driving the hysteria. Ie thinking the Danish government should punish and such.

BTW, these storms would be blown up very deliberately by the governments concerned, I wonder how spontaneous THIS storm is (as others have wondered) and how Danish cartoons got about so widely suddenly?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:13 am
dlowan wrote:

It seems to be very hard for people with only a fledgeling free press (in some countries, and beamed in by others) to really GET it that our governments cannot simply make papers withdraw stuff and apologize.

That seems to be some of what is driving the hysteria.

Great point!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:38 am
Hey, bunny, did you have a little xmas flash back a whike ago?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:40 am
Sent an e-mail of solidarity with Danish Embassy.

Told them I was planning to eat more than my fair share of cheese.
0 Replies