cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:11 pm
Try a double, or triple tall mocha for a not too sweet chocolate kick in the shorts.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
Dang, I could use a cuppa joe right now!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:27 pm
If I'm going to spend that kind of money on coffee it has to be Longbottom's. There are a few coffee joints that see it around here.

You bean lovers should check them out: http://www.longbottomcoffee.com/
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:31 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Circa 1980, when the city abandoned the styrofoam cup and returned to the use of paperhttp://www.newyorkfirst.com/img/floor/7073.jpgthe Greek coffee cup sprang out of nowhere and into every deli, diner, streetwagon and doughnut shop throughout the five boroughs. If you bought coffee to go, it came in a greekcup. It just did. It is rumored that the first episode of NYPD BLUE was re-shot when a sharpeyed pre-release reviewer noted that the cops drinking coffee out of something beside the ironically iconic blue and white containers.

Oh Joe, I really miss those greek cups! I'll point them out to whoever I'm with when one shows up in a movie, and they'll just look at me like "huh?"

I wonder where I could buy some. I'll have to look up some paper suppliers.

Oh re the flavored coffee? I could be totally wrong....Maybe it was just the flavor of a few of the gift packs that just said WARNING WARNING FLAVORED COFFEE!

BTW, do they still make Blue Note?

Starbucks did do one thing really cool though. They used Austin as a test market where you could cut your own CD from this big selections of songs they had in a data base.

I created a couple of cd's with a really eclectic mix...B52's followed by Franz Shubert, no, not really, but it was cool.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:40 pm
well, haven't read all the posts, just want to chime in. i have strong feelings about starbucks, and they're all negative. my blood boiled when i saw a few in vienna. in VIENNA! heresy. but it makes me smirk, too, because it's mostly tourists, and 2/3 of them american, that sit there.
burnt coffee - so much so that all different kinds they have taste the same. pastry too sweet, no atmosphere to speak of... and unfair trading. i only go to starbucks if there is absolutely nothing else around and it's an outright emergency, or if i get my arm twisted by somebody.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
I never tried Blue Note, a blend they brought out in conjunction with Blue Note Jazz Records. (From a website search). I think they try to stay up with what's hip. Waaaay before WiFI became fairly common, (well, it IS common here in the city.) Starbucks was the place to access your email.

Joe(have you seen the Chocolate shaker?)Nation
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:43 pm
Gonna say it again - for commercial, over-the-counter stuff, drink it there or take it with you, its damned hard to beat authentic, real-deal, open 24/7/365 truckstop coffee.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:05 pm
Those sweet Starbucks drinks use coffee as a delivery system for sugar. I have no problem with it, but let's be honest about what we're drinking!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:15 pm
I'll just add one more thing. There's a SB near my folks place in Vancouver BC. I find myself stopping by every day for the ambiance and the coffee. It's full of people socializing. There's a NY Times to read. The CD's they sell and play in the background are superb(Hear Music). Altogether a warm fuzzy experience in this ever- depersonalised world.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Circa 1980, when the city abandoned the styrofoam cup and returned to the use of paperhttp://www.newyorkfirst.com/img/floor/7073.jpgthe Greek coffee cup sprang out of nowhere and into every deli, diner, streetwagon and doughnut shop throughout the five boroughs..

I watch Law & Order and thought they were drinking hot & sour soup.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:19 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I never tried Blue Note, a blend they brought out in conjunction with Blue Note Jazz Records. (From a website search). I think they try to stay up with what's hip. Waaaay before WiFI became fairly common, (well, it IS common here in the city.) Starbucks was the place to access your email.

Joe(have you seen the Chocolate shaker?)Nation

when I was on the road it was a lovely way to check my e mail and play a few hands of cyber bridge.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
panzade wrote:
I'll just add one more thing. There's a SB near my folks place in Vancouver BC. I find myself stopping by every day for the ambiance and the coffee. It's full of people socializing. There's a NY Times to read. The CD's they sell and play in the background are superb(Hear Music). Altogether a warm fuzzy experience in this ever- depersonalised world.

I'm with that.

D'artagnan wrote:
Quote:
Those sweet Starbucks drinks use coffee as a delivery system for sugar. I have no problem with it, but let's be honest about what we're drinking!

I'm with that too. One thing that gives me pause is when I see highschool kids sucking back on those 'coffee in a bottle' things. Sugar and Caffeine.

Just what they need.

Joe
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:44 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Gonna say it again - for commercial, over-the-counter stuff, drink it there or take it with you, its damned hard to beat authentic, real-deal, open 24/7/365 truckstop coffee.

ten four
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:49 pm
There are some nice Starbucks venues in this town. Well, there'd better be, since they're on just about every corner. The nicer ones are in older buildings; some have comfy chairs. The new cutty-cutter ones are just awful...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:37 pm
I am a coffee drinker at least 3 to 4 cups a day. I like my coffee black and strong with no sugar. Adding of cinnamon, chocolate of any other contaminate changes it from coffee to a coffee flavored soft drink.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:54 pm
Starbucks has been a daily stop for me for a long time now, usually spiking a large coffee (no sugar and hold the moo juice) with a couple shots of espresso. Some of the varieties of beans have that burnt taste and are a little too acidic, but as far as coffee on the go everything else just tastes like coffee flavored water.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:43 pm
I have drank coffee there twice, and was not impressed. Too many questions, too much attitude, too pricey for the taste of the stuff. I felt like I was shopping at a snotty store where the clerks are approving/disapproving of your purchase. Just - give me a coffee a'ready!

I like local coffeeshops; and I also try to buy Canadian if I can. (Mainly I just avoid Wal-marts and the like). Tim Horton's is an absolute obsession in this city, and their coffee is good tasting and a good price. Nice casual atmosphere and friends will agree to meet there. I've waited in a car in the winter for a long time for TH, no problem.

I love coffee and will try it anywhere. There is a little restaurant here, attached to a horrble hotel, which serves fried foods. Very limited menu, cheap prices, and simple table-and-chairs atmosphere. The price of coffee is close to 4.00 for a standard brown diner cup - no refills! - but my god, it is good!! The owner has a special passion for coffee, and once I started oohhing and aaahing and asking questions -well, he was happy to have a pair of ears and to show me his special beans. The restaurant was redeemed in my eyes.

Also, you can get good Italian coffee here. Lots of choice, so why in the world would I choose Starpuke's?
Laughing
0 Replies

Cola

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:37 pm
I worked "at" Starbucks, but I would rather have worked "for" Starbucks.
Yes, they burn the beans, yes, it's yuppieville, some locations make an excellent specialty coffee, some suck. I hated their brewed coffee with the first sip, I would frequent an indie coffee shop that sported a "F*ck Starbucks" sticker on the register.

I've grown to like Starbucks and I enjoy their burnt beans. So what, I've joined the "great unwashed". Who cares.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
Hi Cola

Long time no see!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
I've only been in a Starbucks once since I read this

Barristas of the World Unite

and that was under protest.
0 Replies