littlek

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:35 pm
well, D&D coffee is equally sucky, but infinitely more drinkable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
That used to be true here till all the Dunkin Donuts became Pakistani . They dont recognize coffee unless its so sweet your teeth hurt.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Starbucks did something that no one before accomplished. They taught America how to brew a proper cup of coffee. True, they often overroast and are not my favorite, but they always brew it strong. For decades, all you could get in most places was what we called "crayon coffee", which tasted like someone swished a brown crayon in hot water. Thank god for Starbucks.

Yep! I hate weak, watered down coffee! If it doesn't slap your face, it ain't worth drinkin'!

Anoin
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:39 pm
Chai Tea wrote

"You know what....Dunkin' Donuts makes the best cup of coffee, and it's cheap."

Yes, yes and yes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:40 pm
Chai Tea wrote

"You know what....Dunkin' Donuts makes the best cup of coffee, and it's cheap."

Yes, yes and yes.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
Dunkin Donuts? Do they still exist?

I buy Don Francisco coffee (whole beans) and throw it
in my italian machine and out comes a fresh brewed strong
coffee - delicious.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:43 pm
another observation from my caffinated brain. RESTAURANTS. No matter what restaurant you go to, a really great one or a dump, the thing they care about least is their coffee. We ate at a famous Japanese ? S american restaurant last fall and had a great dinner , outstanding . Now, neither Mrs F nor I drink. So we anticipated a great esspresso. LIKE **** IT TASTED. I complained and ordered an ordinary decaf and they bring it out in one of those red topped glass caraffes that says "astes like shitt" all over.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:49 pm
Japenese restaurant/ expresso? I don't think so. Want a good cup of expresso, go to an Italian restaurant. Living in an Italian neighborhood in Brookln that is easy for me to find.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:57 pm
I'll go along w/Dunkin' Donuts having decent coffee - generally. Around here - way up Northwoods way, remember - ain't no Starbucks, and the nearest Dunkin' Donuts is about an hour away. Still, we have plenty of Mom & Pop type restaurant/coffee shop/meeting places, and there, you get COFFEE - and a few of 'em bake their own pastries too. Tell ya what, on a frosty morning, as the sun is just starting to light the horizon and the air outside is so crisp it crackles, there's nothing like a big plate of biscuits and gravy with a steaming mug of black, black, black coffee - rich, not bitter, with flavor, not panache, all wrapped up in the conversation of freinds ... well, it just don't get much better than that.

Here at home, we buy raw beans, Columbian and Kenyan AA, blend 'em, roast 'em dark in a neat little Braun roaster (and damn, does it fill the house with a great smell), and grind 'em per pot, as we make the pot. We use a restaurant-type Bunn coffee maker, too, and good filters. Works for me.

Addendum - while its a myth truckstops have the best food (the reality is its filling, served fast, and there's plenty of it per plate), they almost always have good, fresh, authoritative coffee - by the cup or by the quart. If the place is surrounded by big rigs at 3 in the morning, you know you'll enjoy the coffee.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:30 pm
I usta live about a block from a White Castle (home of the slider) and they had really good coffee. They had a whole bean house brand that was also available (outstanding).

Now I'm a little old fashioned and make my coffee on a stove top percolator using what is known as the Navy formula, one TSP for each two cups and one for the pot and start with cold water on a high flame (gas stove top). When you wait for the perk bubble to turn dark brown you have a good nail floating cup of joe without too much bite.

Another trick to keeping coffee is to put it immediately into a good thermos bottle and not leaving the pot on low heat. This way it doesn't grow legs quickly.

BTW Tim Horton's is better than Starbucks by a Texas mile.

Rap
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:36 pm
I buy various coffees, whole beans and grind them at home. I buy pricy stuff because I know I'm still saving tons on buying the stuff per cup.

here's a good brew -
http://www.cupojoes.com/images/coffee/DEADMANS.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
My first job in high school was slinging donuts and coffee at Dunkin Donuts. It's where I learned to drink coffee. I don't like Starbucks. I like dark roasted coffee but theirs is burnt. I buy my coffee from Trader Joe's.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
J_B - trader Joe's is a place where I haven't bought coffee..... I should try some of theirs. What's your favorite bean to buy there?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:31 pm
ohhh, lots. I particularly like the double dark Mexican and the shade grown dark roast. Their house blend is a medium roast and is good. I don't like the italian roast - too oily, the Hawaiian blend is good, the Kenyan is ok - not my favorite. Mr B likes the Costa Rican.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:59 pm
Well, there's this Civet cat coffee
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:02 am
J_B - thanks! I'll look into it.

Raprap - yuck!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:27 am
littlek wrote:
I buy various coffees, whole beans and grind them at home. I buy pricy stuff because I know I'm still saving tons on buying the stuff per cup.

here's a good brew -
http://www.cupojoes.com/images/coffee/DEADMANS.jpg

Where do you get that?

I'd like to try that one.
Sounds really good.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:03 am
I'm gonna catch hell for this... Smile

http://www.nugejava.com/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:16 am
that civet cat roast is called
poopachino
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:22 am
cj, at least Imus gives all his profits to his kids ranch.
We get our beans from a little coffee roaster in Oxford Pa. He has learned that there are special flavors that can be eaked out of a bean by how long its roasted, whthere its roasted in stages ., or if its taken to a point and then allowed to just sit and continue"popping" from within. Even his dark roast and espresso is not burnt tasting. Ive asked him to consider selling it over the web and he says that coffee doesnt keep well and most of these "signature blends" are months old even if theyre kept as beans they lose some of the essential oils.
0 Replies