Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:10 pm
bluebaby wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Momma
How and why should anyone show respect to the religious beliefs of Islam. When they show none to those of other faiths The concepts of freedom of religion and expression are foreign to them.

Isee that u r only trying to condemn ISLAM and to show that it's not a good religion ..and that Muslims r all savages (stereotyping) ok why don't u behave in a more civilised manner and never talk about ISLAM &MUSLIMS ..leave ISLAM alone, can u dare to talk about the jews, the holocaust,who tortured the Christ or this will be considered anti-semitism? try to be fair and don't talk about issues that u totally ignore

bluebaby

Isee that u r only trying to condemn ISLAM and to show that it's not a good religion ..and that Muslims r all savages (stereotyping) ok why don't u behave in a more civilised manner and never talk about ISLAM &MUSLIMS ..leave ISLAM alone, can u dare to talk about the jews, the holocaust,who tortured the Christ or this will be considered anti-semitism? try to be fair and don't talk about issues that u totally ignore

I only calls them as I see them. As for Christ let me remind you what happened and how it happened 2000 years ago happened 2000 years ago.
The killing of innocents by Islamic fanatics is happening now. Why should the civilized world keep quiet and not condemn that behavior?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:12 pm
Here is a chart showing you all the ages of Muhammad's (PBUH) wives:

Muhammad's (PBUH) Wives

Stop with your false claims!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:13 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
Here is a chart showing you all the ages of Muhammad's (PBUH) wives:

Muhammad's (PBUH) Wives

Stop with your false claims!

AyeshaR.A d/o Abu Bakr Taym Qureshi Un-married
16 years
620 AD
2nd A.H

Perhaps, but she was 6 when betrothed. I don't recall the betrothal lasting 10 years either. I could be mistaken though, it's happened before.
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:50 pm
IF ANYONE WANT TO KNOW WHY PEOPLE R FIGHTING ISLAM &MUSLIMS just follow this link www.islamicity.com/Mosque/aboutislam.htm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:14 pm
Regarding the topic of this thread, perhaps some background info is interesting.

The controversy over the cartoons that the Danish (high-circulation, conservative) daily Jyllands Posten published last autumn has simmered for quite a while, first of all at home where Muslim organisations objected, then internationally when the Organisation of the Islamic Conference complained.

The issue has veritably exploded this week, both in the Middle East when a boycott of Danish products was launched in Saudi-Arabia and masked gunmen protested at the EU Gaza office, and in Europe when at least 13 newspapers in countries around the continent reprinted the cartoons, in turn triggering political declarations of support or disapproval.

Personally I've found the story interesting, because two principles that I hold dear so obviously clashed (tolerance and civility, when approaching the sensitivities of marginalised minority groups in particular, and the freedom from religious dogmas in the work of journalists and artists).

As long as the issue was mostly a domestic one, I largely sympathised with the protesting Muslims. Denmark has been the scene of an agressive wave of anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiment and politics, and I can well imagine that for many Muslim Danes who already felt so put upon, it only took a provocation to get really worked up.

Mind you, of all the things they could get worked up about, the issue in question is one I can imagine least about: a bunch of playful cartoons? But still.

The hysteria that is erupting from the Middle East now, though, in particular from (I am guessing mostly opportunistic) political and religious leaders (who are using the occasion for a good ol' rallying around of popular fervour to buttress their hold on power), has shifted my sympathies towards the newspapers.

Anyway, who cares about my opinion. Background info. In the next post, you'll find an overview of summaries from interesting news stories about the controversy. They're listed in reverse chronological order. They're my summaries (dont worry, didnt make em especially for a2k ;-)).

I've found it interesting, in particular, to see the distinct turn in the tone of reporting over the last few days. The focus on the domestic, Danish context of majority resentment vs. minority sensitivity seems to have been quite abruptly overtaken by a global focus on free speech vs religious dogma -- roughly at the time that newspapers across Europe reprinted the cartoons. References are now more often to Salman Rushdie than to Pia Kjærsgaard.

As far as I can keep track, the cartoons of the Danish Jyllands Posten have been reprinted by: Magazinet (Norway), France Soir (France), Die Welt (Germany), Berliner Zeitung (Germany), La Stampa (Italy), Corriere della Sera (Italy), El Mundo (Spain), ABC (Spain), El Periodico (Spain), Le Temps (Switzerland), NRC Handelsblad (Netherlands), Magyar Hirlap (Hungary), Gazeta.ru (Russia), and - Exclamation - Al-Shihan in Jordan (interesting news item on that one directly below).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:21 pm
Quote:
Cartoons: Jordanian Daily Withdrawn
2006/02/02 · AKI
link

The publishers of the Jordanian weekly al-Shihan, which on Thursday published three of the controversial Danish cartoons satirising the Prophet Mohammed, have withdrawn all copies of the newspaper. The owner says it will "severely" punish those responsible.

Shihan published the cartoons in an article headlined 'Intifada against the Danish insult', which invited Muslims to be "reasonable". The editor asked readers: "What brings more prejudice against Islam, a foreigner's depiction of the Prophet, or a suicide-bomber who blows himself up at a wedding ceremony in Amman?"

The furore over the cartoons shows no signs of abating, as Tunisian and Moroccan authorities banned the French France Soir daily, and Al-Qaeda announced "a bloody attack" against Denmark in retaliation.

Quote:
Opinion: Caricatures Raise Questions of Freedom, Fairness
2006/02/02 · Deutsche Welle
link

Should Muslims accept caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed? Or should press freedom end where religious beliefs begin? The depiction of the Prophet in the drawings was guaranteed not to promote interfaith understanding. The Danish newspaper said the aim was to "test" the limits of press freedom. Critics say the cartoons equated Islam with terrorism.

Editor-in-chief Juste now recognizes that the drawings "were interpreted as a campaign against Muslims." Domestic Muslim groups accepted his apology, but Arab countries have not. Certain actors view the event as a welcome opportunity to reproach the entire western world. A Saudi commentator said it was clear that the West considered Islam an enemy.

We need to think about whether certain rights should really remain unrestricted, or limited to where they breach someone else's freedom. A religious minority has a right to be protected from denigration. Berlin's leftist Tageszeitung disagrees; such a demand "cannot be fulfilled, unless we all agree that priests, rabbis or imams should decide what we are allowed to read."

Quote:
In quotes: Reaction to cartoons
2006/02/02 · BBC News
link

The decision by some European newspapers to reprint cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad has caused widespread condemnation protests. Governments and world leaders have been giving their reaction; a selection of political comments from around the world.

Quote:
French editor fired over cartoons
2006/02/02 · BBC News
link

The editor of the French newspaper that reprinted cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad has been sacked by the owner, as his paper became embroiled in the row between Muslims and the European press that erupted after a Danish paper first printed the cartoons. Alongside the 12 original cartoons, France Soir had printed a new cartoon on its front page showing the holy figures of different countries sitting on a cloud, with the caption "Don't worry Muhammad, we've all been caricatured here".

The newspaper's owner, a French Egyptian, said that he decided to remove the managing director "as a powerful sign of respect for the intimate beliefs and convictions of every individual". France Soir Journalists stood by their editor in a front page editorial in which they defended the right to free speech. Reporters Without Borders said the reaction in the Muslim world "betrays a lack of understanding" of press freedom as "an essential accomplishment of democracy."

Quote:
Offending Cartoons Reprinted
2006/02/02 · Washington Post
link

Newspapers across Europe reprinted cartoons Wednesday ridiculing the prophet Muhammad, saying they wanted to support the right of Danish and Norwegian papers to publish the caricatures.

Germany's Die Welt published one on its front page and said the "right to blasphemy" is one of the freedoms of democracy. France Soir wrote, "because no religious dogma can impose itself on a democratic and secular society, [we are] publishing the incriminating caricatures." Italy's La Stampa newspaper and the daily El Periodico in Spain also published some of the drawings.

The president of the French Council of the Muslim Faith said France Soir's publication of the offensive cartoons was an act of "real provocation towards the millions of Muslims living in France."

(See also: European media show solidarity in Mohammed cartoon row - EU Observer, link)

Quote:
Mohammad cartoon row sparks backlash
2006/02/02 · Reuters
link

An international row over newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad gathered pace as more European dailies printed controversial Danish caricatures. Le Temps in Geneva and Budapest's Magyar Hirlap reprinted one that shows an imam telling suicide bombers to stop because Heaven had run out of virgins to reward them.

Defending its decision to publish the cartoons, France Soir wrote: "Imagine a society that added up all the prohibitions of different religions. What would remain of the freedom to think, to speak and even to come and go? Danish PM Rasmussen said the issue now centred on Western free speech versus taboos in Islam. But the leader of Lebanon's Hizbollah said, "Had a Muslim carried out Imam Khomeini's fatwa against ... Salman Rushdie, then they would not have dared discredit the prophet."

Quote:
Cartoons of Prophet Met With Outrage
2006/01/31 · Washington Post
link

Cartoons in Danish and Norwegian newspapers depicting the prophet Muhammad in unflattering poses have sparked protests and economic boycotts across the Middle East, and warnings of retaliation against the people, companies and countries involved. The cartoons, originally published in the Danish Jyllands-Posten, were reprinted three weeks ago in Magazinet, a small Christian newspaper in Norway. Kuwait called them "despicable racism," Iran termed them "ridiculous and revolting."

Critics charged that the cartoons were a deliberate provocation, designed to incite hatred and polarize people of different faiths. Defenders said they simply highlighted Islam's intolerance. The clash is fueled by anti-immigrant sentiment in secular Denmark. Professor Medhi Mozaffari said, "It's unthinkable that the prime minister would make an apology .. This is Islamists putting democracies on trial to see how far they can be pressured."

Quote:
Arab press fury over Prophet cartoons
2006/01/31 · BBC News
link

Cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad published by a Danish newspaper continue to provoke anger in the Arabic press. London's Al-Quds Al-Arabi writes that "What happened .. is part of the attack against Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, .. which started in the West on 9/11." Jordan's Al-Ra'y wrote that "Nobody has the right to ask us to respect "freedom of expression" when the matter concerns our Prophet and .. the essence of our religious belief."

Al-Ra'y was also one of the papers that asserted, "they ignore democracy and human rights when someone talks about the Jews, their religion and beliefs." Both Jordan's Al-Dustur and Al-Quds pointed out that "What happened .. is not different from the attitude prevailing in Western streets against Islam," while both the Saudi Al-Jazirah and Qatar's Al-Watan asserted that the publication "was not merely the whim of a newspaper editor, .. but a well-planned and deliberate act."

Quote:
Commission backs Denmark against boycott menace
2006/01/31 · EurActiv
link

EU Trade Commissioner Mandelson warned Saudi Arabia that "a boycott of Danish goods was a boycott of the European Union", and that any official backing of the boycott over the 'cartoon affair' would force the EU to take the matter to the WTO.

What started out as a newspaper's cheeky provocation to test the boundaries of free speech is turning into an international incident. The outrage sweeping the Middle East has been compared to that in 1989 over Rushdies "Satanic Verses." Former Danish foreign minister Ellemann-Jensen dubbed the cartoons a "puerile provocation".

Quote:
Gaza gunmen drag EU into Danish-Muslim blasphemy clash
2006/01/30 · EU Observer
link

In an escalation of the spat over the cartoons of the prophet Mohammed in a Danish newspaper, masked men gathered at the EU's Gaza headquarters, fired assault rifles and burnt Norwegian and Danish flags. The al-Aqsa brigades threatened that "all Danes and Swedes" must leave Palestine "within 48 hours".

After a meeting of EU foreign ministers, Ursula Plassnik expressed their "solidarity with our northern colleagues, as well as our belief [in] the freedom of press [..] as part of our fundamental values". Justice commissioner Frattini in December however called the publication "thoughtless and inappropriate".

Quote:
Danish muslim prophet cartoon quarrel goes to court
2006/01/09 · EU Observer

Danish Muslim organisations are planning to take the daily Jyllands-Posten to the European Court of Human Rights over controversial cartoons of the Muslim prophet Mohammed. The decision was announced Monday by Kasem Ahmad, leader of Danish Islamic religious body Islamsk Trossamfund, after a Danish local attorney general had rejected the case.

Quote:
Danish step over cartoons eases Muslim anger
2006/01/04 · MSNBC

A Muslim community spokesman and Egypt's ambassador welcomed Prime Minister Rasmussen's New Year address, in which he sought to defuse a row over newspaper cartoons that seemed to portray Prophet Mohammad as a terrorist.

Rasmussen has defended Denmark's tradition of free speech, which he said included the right to satirise all authorities, and refused to meet envoys of 11 Muslim states over the issue. But in his New Year address he added that free speech should be exercised "in such a manner that we do not incite hatred and cause fragmentation of the community."

Quote:
Cartoons ignite cultural combat in Denmark
2006/01/01 · International Herald Tribune
link

When Jyllands-Posten published cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad - including one in which he wears a turban shaped as a bomb - it was unprepared for the global furor that spurred demonstrations in Kashmir and condemnation from 11 Muslim countries.

The cartoons spawned a national debate over whether Denmark's famously liberal freedom of speech laws have gone too far, and Muslims say the cartoons reflect an intensifying anti-immigrant climate that is radicalizing young Muslims. Police in October arrested seven Muslim men under 21 over an alleged terrorism plot.

Quote:
Dispute Rises Over Cartoons of Prophet
2005/11/28 · IPS
link

The Organisation of the Islamic Conference will consider the matter of the Danish newspaper that published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed at its summit. Several leaders wrote in a joint letter that Muslims feel insulted.

Prime Minister Rasmussen replied that "the Danish government has no means of influencing the press." Earlier, he said: "When Erdogan comes, I will explain him what freedom of expression means." Erdogan in turn said "freedoms have limits, what is sacred should be respected." He pointed to the Jewish reaction to 'The Passion of the Christ', saying Muslims can have similar sensitivities.

Quote:
Danish Muslims denounce newspaper
2005/10/12 · Al Jazeera

Danish Muslims have strongly condemned one of the country's largest newspapers for publishing drawings of the Prophet Muhammad. On 30 September, the Jyllands-Posten daily printed 12 drawings by Danish cartoonists who had been asked to illustrate the prophet. Islam bans depictions of Prophet Muhammad. 16 Muslim organisations on Wednesday demanded that Jyllands-Posten apologise for printing the drawings. Jyllands-Posten, citing the freedom of speech, said it would not.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:30 pm
Is this the offending cartoon?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/60/jp011005muhammedwesterga0hw.th.jpg(click image for larger view.
Big deal. Does that mean Christians should lose their minds over this?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:03 pm
One was pasted in the Bush Supporters II thread, I believe. I'm looking for two others that I heard about but haven't seen.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:08 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/60/jp011005muhammedwesterga0hw.th.jpg

Are you crazy, do you want them to start bombing A2K next!? Razz

Actually, there's like, 12 of 'em, and France Soir published an additional one on its front page this week.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/60/jp011005muhammedwesterga0hw.th.jpg(click image for larger view.

If you trully respected and loved Jesus you would get pissed off when some ignorant and disrespectful person draws a misleading cartoon such as the one shown above.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:35 pm
I think Jesus would say to turn the other cheek when something offends you. While I can certainly see why folks would be angry at the motive behind these cartoons, I subscribe to the view that nothing is sacred, and some black ink on a piece of paper isn't going to hurt God or Mohammed. Especially if they are as powerful and perfect as they are supposed to be.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:37 pm
Raul-7,

I can appreciate the fact that your religion is indeed sacred to you and that you probably don't understand why anyone would ridicule or make fun of it. I can only tell you that there are many that absolutely do not believe in a god whatsoever. Thus, they will not respect yours. I don't like it, but that's just the way it is. To them, it's all a fairytale and fantasy. I wish I could be more encouraging about it, but those are just the facts.

I do admire you for your persistence. Peace be with you and your family.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:49 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

If you trully respected and loved Jesus you would get pissed off when some ignorant and disrespectful person draws a misleading cartoon such as the one shown above.

Raul--

We used to have a member, who's avatar was Jesus on a cross, and the image jumped and bounced around. I couldn't look at it. But, we didn't stab manifestos in his chest.

It was incredibly offensive, but people have a right to be offensive.

Jesus didn't require my defense, and Mohammad doesn't require one, either. We each have a right to our religions, up to the point where it infringes on someone else's rights.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
nimh wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/60/jp011005muhammedwesterga0hw.th.jpg

Are you crazy, do you want them to start bombing A2K next!? Razz

Actually, there's like, 12 of 'em, and France Soir published an additional one on its front page this week.
Laughing I don't they could mount an offensive strong enough to penetrate the defenses of the mighty Craven.

Apparently, most news sources are pretty spooked, though. I'm surprised a simple Google won't provide the complete line up.

I mean no offense, Raul-7, but nor will I be stifled for fear of offending someone's hypersensitivity. I used to think burning the American Flag should carry penalties until a speech in a silly chick flick changed my mind, for the better, forever.
Excerpt:
Fictional American President wrote:
"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.
Twas a damn good speech. (The balance of it is written here.)

Worry not; I also respect your right to complain about tasteless comics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/POLITICS/analysis/toons/2006/02/03/lang/cnnlangtoon.jpg

It's all in the priorities
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:43 am
Au1929,

I DO love your sense of humor! Very Happy
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:03 am
I know that alot of people especially in EUROPE AND AMERICA r not religious at all ok i totally understand that this is a freedom of worship but why did they insist on insulting and mocking other religious beliefs.. would anyone dare to mock or insult the jews or tell the truth about the holocaust?i think no one would dare to do so because this will be considered anti-semitism..please iam asking every one here to be fair and honest with himself why this bias to the jews while they r the ones who tortured the christ
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
bluebaby wrote:
i think no one would dare to do so because this will be considered anti-semitism

It appears you haven't seen Mel Brooks as Moses in History of the World, part I. Or Monty Python's Life of Brian.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
Moishe3rd wrote:

The point is that millions of Muslims support the most violent and vile aspects of Islam. Those who do not support these vile aspects of Islam also do not condemn it! They excuse it. This is a problem.

just what i was going to say, ubtil moderate islam starts speaking out against fundamentalism, the respect of the rest of the world is going to be sorely lacking
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
bluebaby
Why not. I have seen many a cartoon that mocked and were offensive to both Christianity and Judaism that stirred the juices of people of those faiths. However never have people of those faiths resorted to violence, burned embassies or threatened to kill over them. That it would seem to be limited to people of the Islamic faith.
I guess when you live in a tyrannical society that is all you understand.
0 Replies