Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:18 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Cliff Hanger wrote:

First of all, I am no fan of religious dogma. If the French are so interested in maintaining their precious and often snotty culture then they ought not be throwing stones themselves.

By throwing stones, you mean the fact that they published the cartoons?

Yes, I mean the fact they published the cartoons. If they are advocating for strict laws in their country regarding separation of church and state they ought to be balanced enough to not get involved in religious matters concerning other nations.

Yes, it is within their rights under freedom of speech, but by weighing in, they came up against the simmering anger of Muslims who felt discriminated against in the first place.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:23 pm
Cliff Hanger wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Cliff Hanger wrote:

First of all, I am no fan of religious dogma. If the French are so interested in maintaining their precious and often snotty culture then they ought not be throwing stones themselves.

By throwing stones, you mean the fact that they published the cartoons?

Yes, I mean the fact they published the cartoons. If they are advocating for strict laws in their country regarding separation of church and state they ought to be balanced enough to not get involved in religious matters concerning other nations.

Yes, it is within their rights under freedom of speech, but by weighing in, they came up against the simmering anger of Muslims who felt discriminated against in the first place.

The problem with the whole thing about freedom of speech, CH, is that the French editors who published, probably didn't have to phone the Government and get permission.
What their press does, and what the government possibly wanted them to do, may have been two different things.

But once the ideals of free speech are being attacked, the French government will obviously support those ideals. A no win situation, followed by frantic behind the scenes diplomatic works, methinks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:24 pm
Actually, as far as I know, not "the French" published the cartoons but ONE NEWSPAPER.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
That's what I was getting at, Walter. I think our posts arrived almost at the same time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
I guess I am on the wrong end of this issue but I do think "provocation" is useful in society, especially complex society. Provocation can be a very effective tool to sorting out issues and the basis for those issues. I don not follow the european idea of "hate speech" and do favor "legal" provocation. (Diane thinks I'm off the deep end.) so it goes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:27 pm
nimh's comment:

We went through this argument earlier in the thread, when Lash (I think) said that "freedom of expression" was the excuse for Jyllands-Posten to run the cartoons. Either Soz or FreeDuck, and I, replied that, no: freedom of expression merely gave the newspaper the opportunity to run the cartoons; it didn't mean they had to.

misses MY point, which is Jyllands-Posten had the right to do what they did, and the right to be protected from ANY physical attack or violence.

I think those rights hold them completely above the kind of censure I see here.

They aren't social agencies. They should not be called upon to divine responses. People should be accountable 100% for their own responses.

In holding the paper even marginally responsible for "their contribution" to the psychotic reaction puts a frightening ripple in the universe of freedom.

I don't understand how anyone doesn't see that. It's really upsetting. You are giving freedom away in increments.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
There's nothing like a bit of provocation, Dys. It starts debate, and can result in change. Our newspapers in the UK are full of very provocative articles.

There has to be a valid reason for the provocation though, otherwise it is just destructive.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
Or taken out of context.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Lash wrote:
nimh's comment:

We went through this argument earlier in the thread, when Lash (I think) said that "freedom of expression" was the excuse for Jyllands-Posten to run the cartoons. Either Soz or FreeDuck, and I, replied that, no: freedom of expression merely gave the newspaper the opportunity to run the cartoons; it didn't mean they had to.

misses MY point, which is Jyllands-Posten had the right to do what they did, and the right to be protected from ANY physical attack or violence.

I think those rights hold them completely above the kind of censure I see here.

They aren't social agencies. They should not be called upon to divine responses. People should be accountable 100% for their own responses.

In holding the paper even marginally responsible for "their contribution" to the psychotic reaction puts a frightening ripple in the universe of freedom.

I don't understand how anyone doesn't see that. It's really upsetting. You are giving freedom away in increments.

Read MY posts in this thread, Lash.
I fully agree with you on this matter, unless proof of some sort of manipulation is going on, in order to simply stir the pot. This is highly doubtful.

European newspapers do not have to answer to anyone for what they print, as long as they stay inside the law.

If the reaction is such that lives are threatened and buildings burned, then the fault lies entirely with the aggressors. THEY are acting outside the law.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

There has to be a valid reason for the provocation though, otherwise it is just destructive.

Needles to say, I disagree, who determines "valid"?
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Actually, as far as I know, not "the French" published the cartoons but ONE NEWSPAPER.

That's correct, the French in turn, published them to show their support.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
Cliff Hanger wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

That's correct, the French in turn, published them to show their support.

No CH, I believe Walter was referring to the fact that it was only one French newspaper that published the cartoons.
The decision had nothing to do with the French government.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
France Soir said it had published the cartoons to show that "religious dogma" had no place in a secular French society.

.... and Lord E is correct with his response re my answer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:23 pm
Lash wrote:
nimh's comment:

No it doesnt. Thats all already right in there. That much is, after all, already implied in the part of the sentence that says "freedom of expression gave the newspaper the opportunity to run the cartoons".

They are and should be allowed to run the cartoon (they have the right to). And of course (as FreeDuck and I must now have already repeated about three zillion times - but as she noted before, there seems to be some disconnect in it being picked up) ANY physical violence targeted at it is wrong.

Now, however, the additional point we were making, once we can get over this part that we agree on (the right to publish them, the wrongness of violence against them over it), is that just that they had the right to publish them doesnt mean that it was a good thing to do, or something that they should have done.

Lash wrote:

Nonsense.

There's the freedom of people and press to be stupid without fearing retribution from the state or the press owners. Thats what the freedom of press and expression is about. Thats what most all of us here (including FD and me, repeatedly) have stood tall for.

The freedom to do stupid ****, however, does not itself imply that the stupid **** is not stupid, and does not at all prescribe that nobody should be allowed to tell the paper in question so. To tell them that, you know, we think what they did was real stupid and we dont think it was the right thing to do.

For example. You have the right to publish a paper making midget jokes, the Lash Midget Joke Journal. If I call upon the state to arrest you for it, or even to stop you from publishing it, then I'm obviously attacking the freedom of press; I'm pleading for a legal restriction on what you are allowed to write and publish. However, even fully accepting your legal right to publish sick jokes, I very much do still have the right to tell you that I personally think the midget jokes are stupid, and that IMO its just not right to make 'em. None of that is "giving freedom away".

In turn, I don't understand what exactly is so complicated about grasping that difference.

Again, these are decisions newspaper editors make every day. Do we publish that graphic image of violence, that shows how bad the Iraq war is going but might hurt people who see it? Do we publish that column that makes fun of blacks? All of it would - and should! - be fully legal to publish, but that doesnt mean that the editors should necessarily publish it all - and they don't, they make a judgement call about whether the salience of the point weighs up against the offence that might be caused, every time.

IMO, the Jyllands-Posten this time made the wrong call. <shrugs>

Basically, we're back to: criticism Not Equal censorship. You're free to say stupid ****, I'm free to call you on it. Jyllands-Posten is free to publish stupid cartoons, we are free to opine that it wasnt right to publish such stupid cartoons. How that would touch upon the freedom of expression, I have no clue.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:30 pm
OK, as I reckon that I have now fully expressed my views on this thread, I will now leave it alone and re-join the other people on A2K.

Goodbye thread.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
France Soir said it had published the cartoons to show that "religious dogma" had no place in a secular French society.

.... and Lord E is correct with his response re my answer.

Righto. Same with Denmark-- government and press are separate. Not a government's issue. In Islam, however...oh, you already know this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
JW asked some questions in a PM, agreed to just share the Q's and A's on one of the threads about the topic as well (why not). So here you are ... ;-)

--------------------

Hiya JW! I wouldnt dare pretend I'm some kind of expert on the subject, but FWIW I'll try a short answer or two..

JustWonders wrote:
Is the Muslim minority in Denmark larger/smaller than that of the Jewish population?

Larger, though still small in comparison to that of other countries - I think I saw 3% in one of the current articles. (The CIA World Fact Book says 2%.)

JustWonders wrote:
Do the Danish Muslims pretty much adhere to Islamic views concerning women?

Hmm .. like every European country's Muslim community, their views would pretty much span the spectrum from secular to fundamentalist.

One of the people I worked with in my previous job was a, eh, highly prolific man with, eh, strong opinions <grins>; he is a fierce critic of Danish racism and Islamophobia, both real and perceived. Yet he himself is not very religious at all, and would not share any of the demeaning views regarding the position of women, for example.

By ways of another example, a couple of the news stories I've now read have mentioned a network of moderate Muslims that has been set up, whose spokesperson is Naser Khader. Khader is an MP for the Radikale Venstre, the country's small, secular, radical democrat party (what we'd call left-liberal, as opposed to right-wing liberal on the one hand and social-democrat on the other).

But on the other hand, obviously, there's people like Ahmad Abu Laban, leader of the Islamic Society in Denmark, who is radical enough to be unwanted in the United Arab Emirates and Egypt for his Islamist views (says Wikipedia).

JustWonders wrote:
Is the plight of the Danish Muslims similar to that of the French Muslims, i.e. poor, ghettoized, jobless, etc. (You've said a couple of times they're "beleaguered"....or received "blow after blow".

Hmm ... I'm no expert on the economic position of the Muslims in Denmark, so I don't know whether that is as bad as in France. The sheer fact that they form a much smaller population group probably means that ghettoisation should be less of a problem.

Xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners in Denmark, however, are relatively notorious; it is a more 'closed' society to try to access, as immigrant, than most countries south. Media portrayal of Muslims has often been outright outrageous, as chronicled in media monitoring efforts by, for example, the NGO Fair Play.

More specifically, Danish government policies on immigration have been notorious for being the most draconic currently existing in Europe (and that's saying something). I'm having some trouble finding posts in which I wrote about that before, but here's one in which I quote from a newspaper article:

Quote:
Rasmussens alliance with the far right People's Party is a thorn in the flesh for many Danes. The People's Party had ever more trouble under Rasmussen to profile itself as truly right-wing, because the PM himself already tackled the foreigners as hard as he did. Indignation was caused by the People's Party subsequent suggestion to deport not just criminal foreigners, but their parents too.

According to the government, 93% of the asylum-seekers that were allowed into Denmark is unemployed. Less than ten percent of the applications for asylum are granted. Around 12,000 Danes have left for Sweden because their partner did not get permission to come live in Denmark.

Denmark was recently criticized by Ruud Lubbers, UN High Commissioner for Refugees. His annoyance was over Rasmussens decision that Denmark would automatically refuse illiterate or elderly refugees. Rasmussen ignored the protest however. [..]

Young people under 24 do not get permission to marry someone from their own country in any case. Couples furthermore have to prove to deeply love Denmark and have about eight thousand euro at their disposal, that has to be stored in a Danish bank account for seven years.

Shocked , indeed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:16 pm
nimh wrote:
Xenophobic attitudes towards foreigners in Denmark, however, are relatively notorious; it is a more 'closed' society to try to access, as immigrant, than most countries south.

Actually, the Danish like foreigners very much.... when they come as tourists. And don't disturb Danish every day life :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:33 pm
nimh wrote:
Larger, though still small in comparison to that of other countries - I think I saw 3% in one of the current articles. (The CIA World Fact Book says 2%.)

About 30,000 Muslims and 7,000 Jews. (The number of Jews has been more or less constant - it's the same as before WWII.)
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:36 pm
nimh wrote:
More specifically, Danish government policies on immigration have been notorious for being the most draconic currently existing in Europe (and that's saying something). I'm having some trouble finding posts in which I wrote about that before, but here's one in which I quote from a newspaper article:

Perhaps it's known notoriously in Europe, but it's not widely reported here, I don't think. I also doubt the average person would think of the Danish people as particularly racist or xenophobic, without of course, knowing of this attitude towards the Muslim immigrants.

I think the background information goes a long way in helping to explain their reaction to the cartoons -- at least for those in Denmark and the subsequent calls for apology.
0 Replies