The A2K Fantasy Winter Olympics Game

George

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
JA!

I am almost hockeyed-out after the weekend.
How 'bout those Switzers, Herr Gerber in particular?

Ruutu should have been suspended for his cheap shot on Jagr.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:08 pm
Ten days of competition. One contender shows signs of exhaustion.

Provisional results, revised:

1. husker 212 points
2. fbaezer 208
3. ossobuco 198
4. George 193
5. jpinMilwaukee 169
6. jespah 155

A great day for Austria; ergo, a terrible one for jpinMIlwaukee.

The Austrians have already more than tripled in Turin the gold medals they won in Salt Like City.
The Norwegians are still 9 golds behind their 2002 showing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:54 pm
sending drugs to my teams
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:25 pm
I picked Austria, but with no knowledge of their readiness.. a matter of picking a place with a past history - wasn't Maier from there? (I am so dumb on this as to need to be hand fed some promotional histories.)

I am sort of fond of sportswriting, but don't read much of it lately, especially since the new york times did it's money for text routine a few months ago.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:15 am
Didn't the Ukrainians get a bronze in, er, something?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:17 am
Just wait till Belarus gets rolling!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:57 am
Two steps back, two steps back... I think I'm about out of this.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 02:22 pm
I feel like my hands have been tied and my teams are now being held back!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 02:38 pm
How to get disqualified without really trying
Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 AM ET

By Bill Barclay

SESTRIERE, Italy (Reuters) - Zip your top up properly, leave the wig and false mustache in your chalet and, whatever you do, do not sip the wrong kind of cola.

Doping aside, there are plenty of weird and wonderful ways to get yourself disqualified from the Winter Olympics and at times the rules and regulations governing each sport read like a pedants' manifesto.

In ski jumping, for example, a competitor who fails to zip his suit up to the very top risks more than catching a cold.

Presumably to prevent somebody wearing a Michelin Man-style inflatable outfit for extra air buoyancy, the rules state that competitors' suits must cling closely to the body.

The "anterior crotch length" is especially tightly policed with a modest four centimetres the maximum leeway allowed.

Thursday, during the Nordic combined event, the Finnish team protested that one of the German jumpers, Bjoern Kircheisen, had breached the rules governing the air permeability of his suit because it was slightly unzipped at the neck. The appeal was unanimously rejected by the jury.

In the same event, one of the rules stipulates that a competitor will be penalized if he takes his skis to any official ceremonies. Furthermore, as Japan's Masahiko Harada found out in Normal Hill qualifying, a jumper is disqualified if his skis are longer than his height, multiplied by 1.46.

In the exhausting sport of cross-country skiing, a competitor is disqualified if, in a fit of masochism, he skies more than one leg of the course in a relay or, even more mysteriously, if he takes part in the competition "under false pretences."

The latter charge could arguably have been applied to Costa Rican Arturo Kinch. The mustachioed 49-year-old brought an air of slapstick to Friday's 10-km classical race when he stumbled and almost fell in the first few strides en route to 96th place.

The false pretences rule also covers Alpine skiing where, as in ski jumping, having the wrong-sized skis is another cause for disqualification. That was the fate suffered by Briton Chemmy Alcott in the women's combined event Friday. Her skis were found to be a miniscule 0.2mm too narrow.

SHOOTING DUCKS

A freestyle skier can be disqualified for doing a trick they are not qualified to try or for attempting a trick which is more difficult than those they performed in training. Rule-makers have so far resisted the urge to dock them points for appalling choice of music to accompany their run.

Sponsorship enforcement is also a deadly serious matter at all Olympic venues. Woe betide a competitor or spectator who sports or consumes a product that is not made by one of the companies on the list of official sponsors.

In the spectator's case they will have the offending bottle of cola removed from their possession while the athlete cannot display any form of advertising at venues, where even the official sponsors' products are kept hidden. Offending logos get covered up with duct tape.

The wrong kind of spoken word can also be costly.

At the biathlon Tuesday, American Jay Hakkinen risked being disqualified following claims that he used inappropriate language after missing all five shots at the target in the 10-km sprint.

Asked if Hakkinen had sworn audibly, U.S. coach James Upham ducked. "I don't know. I didn't ask and he didn't say anything."
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:42 pm
Eleven days of competition.

1. husker 227 points
2. fbaezer 225
3. ossobuco 215
4. George 212
5. jpinMilwaukee 181
6. jespah 163

Competition is still very tough, as both George's frauen and ossobuco's ragazzi accumulate medals.
JpinMilwaukee needs a huge Austrian doping scandal to get back into the race Wink.

---

Osso, famous Austrian alpine skiier Hermann Maier is not past history, "Herminator", has won a couple of medals for his country in Turin.

Yes Jes, Ukraine has 2 bronze medals, which has meant 2 measly points for you and me and osso and husker.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:57 pm
Husker, about false pretenses.

The sportswriter didn't write that the Costarrican finished more than 20 seconds ahead of 97th place Pravat Natvajara of Thailand.
He was also wrong on the distance: it was 15 kilometers, not 10.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 05:04 pm
fbaezer wrote:
JpinMilwaukee needs a huge Austrian doping scandal to get back into the race Wink.

So what you're saying is... I DO have a chance.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 05:07 pm
Team George is making slow but steady progress.
Only a silver behind osso and two golds and a silver behind fb.

China might make some contributions tomorrow in Aerials and
Speedskating.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 04:21 pm
Twelve days of competition. The drama is at the bottom.

1. husker 257 points
2. fbaezer 242
3. George 237
4. ossobuco 235
5. jespah 211
6. jpinMilwaukee 202

Husker increases his lead, while fbaezer (who by now hates the Swiss almost as much as jp hates the Austrians) feels the steps of George and osso behind him. Jespah, with the impulse of the maple leaf ('cause the Norwegian girls seem to be asleep) surprisingly surpasses jpinMilwaukee (who is, as of now, insisting that the IOC officials look closer on the Austrian trainers' bags).
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 04:50 pm
A Swiss Miss takes gold in the Aerials and, what's more, a Chinese takes
silver while an Aussie gets bronze. All loyal members of Team George!
In the Men's snowboard slalom it's a gold and silver for those swingin'
Switzers.

Sr. fbaezer is only a gold away.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:08 pm
Men's Aerials tomorrow.
Will Belarus justify my faith?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 05:50 pm
George wrote:
Men's Aerials tomorrow.

We'll see, but I wouldn't rely on Cazenueve's predictions.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:07 pm
fbaezer

Do you have this in excel?
Where are the most of my points coming from the 2nd group?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:26 am
I am shocked, shocked I tell ya!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
fbaezer wrote:
George wrote:
Men's Aerials tomorrow.

We'll see, but I wouldn't rely on Cazenueve's predictions.

Is he the SI guy? The item I read was unattributed.
0 Replies