Suvivor: Panama

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
Seriously. If you're going spear fishing for the first time, wouldn't it make sense to practice, I don't know, where it's shallow?!?!?

Shane's all about the cigarettes.

And talk about showing your hand. All those three have to do is flip one person in that alliance. I can't believe those two women weren't able to manage that with the help Shane gave 'em.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
The spear thing was stu-pid, and I really didn't like her ongoing "whoopsie I'm so blonde don't hate me" apologies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:56 am
I think Shane will be out of there soon enough. He may look young and strong but anyone who smokes three packs of cigs a day isn't going to be of much use physically.

And yeah, the spear thing.... Didn't she even say something about "I hope I don't lose this."

Duh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 03:45 pm
Duh.

Have you guys been reading the Survivor blog? It's actually pretty entertaining. Rafe is great, I'd love to get him on A2K. Brian's really funny too, and some flashes from others here and there ('specially Amy). There was just an entry from Steph, and it was just so... Steph. Not in a good way. "Take it from a girl who has more scars from Guatemala bug bites probably out of any survivor." Yeah yeah yeah.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor12/show/ep02/blog.php
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
By the way Shane is such an obvious bye-bye that I'm wary of editing/ manipulation -- I think he may end up being out there for a long time, maybe even final two as the evil foil. (As in, strong person brings him to final two figuring that everyone would vote AGAINST Shane...)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 06:12 pm
Those two older women are so weak mentally as physically - they were told straight out that one was going to be booted. Why wouldn't they try some sort of breaking up the others. The others are not really very bright - I don't think it would be too difficult to try to start a riff among them. They just laid down and cried - can't have much sympathy for them.
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:49 pm
The old women should have partnered with the young women when that nut Shane pulled that bait and switch.

They did themselves in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:20 pm
Man, what's up with Bruce? I'm not sure I trusted the editing there. They made it look like he was all full of himself, hubris, pride before a fall et al, but then what the rest of his teammates actually said before the challenge and after he was sent back to Exile Island was that he really was enormously helpful -- basically echoing what he had said earlier.

I liked Cirie a little more after this one, she was pretty strong and seemed to be having fun, too.

They've gone 10 days without eating?! Isn't that, like, REALLY bad?!

Hey, I just realized that this is one of the first groups I remember that don't start out with some kind of staple -- rice, corn, something. That's a little scary. Ruth Marie and Dan are looking positively skeletal.

Anyway, I think that maybe there was some editing to make Bruce look less strong than he really is in terms of his position in the tribe/ what he can bring. Shane was being snotty but when isn't he?

I think he (Shane) is being groomed to be a major villain. There hasn't been one in a while.

I'm still liking Bruce. And I think he's getting some "deserves it" points with all that time on Exile Island, if he gets far enough to cash 'em in anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:45 am
On the blog the Guatemala people were complaining about how they had to start out with that godawful trek (11 miles? I forget) and how all the Panamanians had to do was crack some skulls, big whoop, they sure have it easy. But I think the food situation might be the equalizer. I know the Guatemalans had corn, I think from the get-go.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
Is it just me or is the "Survivor" franchise running on fumes a bit? It's still pretty early in this version, but I don't see any truly memorable personalities emerging. I appreciate that the format has been tweaked a bit (with the 4 teams split by gender and age) and the Exile Island offshoot. With this bunch, I might TRY to get sent to Exile Island every chance I got (not only to try to find the Immunity Idol but to get away from this listless lot.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:12 pm
Terry found the immunity idol! Wow!

Could that "why" have been any more obvious, though? Maybe it wasn't as obvious as it seems. Still, hiss boo to Misty and Bruce for not figuring that out. The "why"/ Y was the major clue, then the rest of it was gravy.

What's the "through" the final four bit? When does it stop being active? Does it mean a guaranteed spot in the final four, or what?

Terry was already important, but now he's WAY more important. So if he likes Austin and Sally, Austin and Sally are probably going a long way. (Nicely handled by Austin, that whole Sally thing.)

The Ruth Marie thing may mean a break between Terry and Dan, though. Dan looks so darn frail out there. The food situation has never been this bad before, has it? That's pretty scary.

One thing that's super-interesting about this exile island thing is that this is the first time in forever -- maybe ever -- that the leaders are being appreciated rather than shunned/ voted off. It makes sense.

Cirie is growing on me, mostly because she's both playing smart and working hard.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
The"Why" [Y] clue was a variation on the "W" clue from the mid-1960s movie, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:05 pm
I still don't totally get how the immunity idol will work (I had the same problem last year, for some reason).

He can use it just once, right? As in, if they attempt to vote him out next week, he can use it; but then once he's used it, they can vote him out the week after that?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
One week to avert explusion.

What the heck happened last night? I missed it.

Stupid late night dinners!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
It was pretty cool.

Casaya continue to be entertainingly asinine. They managed to win a reward challenge that featured chopping heads and tails off of giant fish. Bruce started off being the chopper -- obvious, right? -- but he was totally ineffectual. He was just making fish mush, the head wasn't actually going anywhere. So they switched off and Bobby became the chopper. Whoa mama! Huge, clean swipes of the machete and bye-bye heads.

Terry (of course) was LaMina's chopper, but Bobby was amazing. Before the switch Casaya was way behind, but then Bobby caught them right up. (It wasn't JUST Terry vs. Bobby, but pretty much -- the rest of the team was in a relay that included going out to a boat to get stuff, then tossing it about 15 feet to the next person in the relay, up to the chopper. Sacks of beans and rice were no problem, but the giant fish were slippery and hard to hold on to, and kept being dropped [especially by Sally], which mucked up the works. And the fish.)

So, Casaya gets this HUGE reward -- 8 giant fish, and beans, and rice -- and goes back to their camp to find that their new site (remember when Shane was all we gotta move the campsite?) was underwater. No fire. No dry firewood. Raining.

Rather than try to make a new fire (c'mon, would it really have been impossible?) they decided to have some sashimi. :-? I think the fish was fresh but I dunno if it was THAT fresh. It was out in the sun for quite a while, not to mention what was on the machete that they used to slice it...?

No gastrointestinal upset in that episode though... for Casaya.

Different story for LaMina. They got a consolation prize -- beans or rice? They chose beans. They regretted that choice -- especially Austin and Nick. They ate too much, or beans are just harder on your system than rice (I'd assume so!), but they were up all night puking and pooping and looking like death warmed over.

Anyway, Terry was chosen to go to Exile Island again, and since he already had the idol he just did more comfort/ surviving type stuff -- a fire, etc. -- and seemed way happier than anyone else, frankly.

Aras, meanwhile, said he'd want to go to Exile Island to get some peace and quiet, and can't say as though I'd blame him. For all his crunchy/ crystally/ new-agey stuff at the beginning, he's earning my respect as a pragmatist. He got pissed at Bruce for toiling away at a Zen rock garden on the beach when the rest of them were trying hard to get a fire going -- like, if there is nothing else to be done, fine, but there's plenty that needs to be done! Bruce took umbrage in a really annoying way -- disrespect yadda yadda.

Meanwhile, I can't remember if this was before or after, there was a whole episode with the bottle of wine they also won in the reward challenge. (They got the fish, beans, and rice, and then also spices and some wine.) It was raining and raining and raining and while the site was under water in the sense of no fire, the sleeping platform was raised and everyone was sleeping OK. But there evidently (? - not sure) wasn't room for Bruce and Bobby. So Bobby went in the outhouse for shelter, and Bobby showed up... with the unopened bottle of wine. The two of them polished it off while complaining to each other about everyone else.

Well... that didn't go over great. Courtney had one of her patented little fits. Everyone was mad. Bobby, despite his heroism at the reward challenge, was a marked man.

At the immunity challenge, LaMina was not very optimistic -- Terry'd been at Exile Island, Nick and Austin had been in gastrointestinal distress all night, and that left the two weakest people, Dan and Sally. It was a hold-your-breath and dive for puzzle pieces, then solve the puzzle challenge. LaMina got the pieces first but there was a pretty long overlap where Casaya had all the pieces, too, and they were just racing to solve. LaMina got it!

So, there was an alliance discussion (with, interestingly, Cirie right there) about who to vote off. Aras wanted Bruce. Shane protested, he wanted Bobby off. The girls didn't say much. It was "decided" that it'd be Bruce.

Shane did this weird swearing thing with Bobby about whether Bobby would flip if he made it to the merge. Shane wanted Bobby to swear on his (Shane's) kid. Bobby was like, no. Shane persisted, and Bobby did it. (What does that mean, anyway??)

So then Danielle spearheads a movement to get Bobby off instead of Bruce. She gets Courtney and Cirie. She talks to Shane, but Shane doesn't want to vote off Bobby what with the recent swearing thing (and, as per usual, gets all pissy about it).

Not clear what will happen at tribal council. The wine thing comes up, everyone's lighting into Bobby, Aras points out that it was Bruce, too, how come he gets off scott-free? Then a general thing about Bruce starts, with Danielle defending him as being "older and wiser than us, with more experience, we should give him more respect." (Paraphrase.) Bruce says something about how in his 30 years of teaching he's never experienced such disrespect, yadda yadda, and Aras gets in a really good comment about "Bruce, we're not your pupils, we're your teammates. We need to work together." (Another paraphrase.) Bruce ends up apologizing in some general way and agreeing to be... something.

Shane doesn't want to vote for Bobby so he votes for Aras, saying he doesn't mean anything by it, just throwing his vote away. Bruce votes for Courtney (oh, I didn't get into how she did her yoga contortions on his zen garden and how that pissed him off). Aras votes for Bruce. Someone else does too I think. Everyone else votes for Bobby... bye bye.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
wow go Cirie.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
(Correction: Bruce went in the outhouse for shelter, Bobby showed up...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:50 pm
Yeah, she made me mad in the first episode but I've been way impressed since. She is playing the game great, on all levels. Working hard at camp, staying under the radar, strong in challenges.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 12:59 pm
Even after some 4 or so episodes, this "Survivor" version seems more difficult than others to figure out. Terry obviously has the inside track to the final 4 with the extra Immunity Idol. Aras and Austin also figure to be in the mix somewhere near the end. I can't see Bruce, Courtney or Cirie making it much farther. Danielle seems to be the strongest woman. Shane seems to be the most intriguing contestant & the promos for next week allude to a move to oust him and the wildest (or something like that) Tribal Council ever.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
I dunno -- they're the strongest in some ways, but that can mean a target on their backs, too. I think it's quite possible that Terry could be voted off twice in a row; that is, soon after the merge he would be voted off, then he'd hoist the immunity idol and be safe that week, but then he wouldn't have the protection anymore and they'd get him the week after.

It's possible he'd win a bunch of individual immunity challenges, too, but not at all definite.

Courtney doesn't impress me much, but I think Bruce and Cirie have a lot of potential for going far (even though Bruce annoyed me this episode).

I think that Shane is likely to make it to the final two as the evil foil ("I might be bad, but are you gonna vote for Shane over me? Huh??").
0 Replies