Biting Cuticles- No, Not Nails

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
I have a long running, nasty little habit of chewing on my cuticles. WHen they get ragged, as they often do in the winter, I try and chew them off. Gross? Yes. Painful? Sometimes. I want to stop so badly but nothing has ever worked for me. I've been trying to stop this habit now since I was 12.

Any suggestions on ways to stop? Sometimes, I don't even realize I am doing it. But my fingers sometimes get bad enough that they bleed and let's be honest here....eventually scar tissues has got to show up. Not to mention putting fingers in mouth.... GROSS
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,457 • Replies: 71
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:31 pm
I do the same thing, bella. It started when my brother got sick two years ago. Since then, I haven't been able to stop and it truly is a nasty and painful habit.

I chewed my nails as a kid. Any connection, you think?

I've heard that a standing weekly manicure can help. You won't want to ruin your nails or waste your money.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
How 'bout cutting them? At least the cut can be neat and close to the actual, erm, finger part. I get the ragged skin there, too, and biting means that the problem just gets a lot worse, whereas, if you cut 'em, at least they are gone without doing too much more damage. Plus it's probably a good thing to keep 'em out of your mouth, not just because of germs but also because of the very act reinforcing the habit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
I do cut them, and then it just gets raggedy again and I bite. In fact, I carry a clipper around with me for just that purpose.

I get my nails done every two weeks. But it doesn't seem to stop me.

I never bit my nails, eoe....but it might be connected.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
I don't bite - I tear 'em off and bleeding ensues.

By this point most winters I have bandages around 2 or 3 fingers to prevent me from getting at them. Very attractive with a suit. Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I don't bite - I tear 'em off and bleeding ensues.

By this point most winters I have bandages around 2 or 3 fingers to prevent me from getting at them. Very attractive with a suit. Confused

Me too! Oh my, I had no idea it was such a common thing!
sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
Carry around lotion, maybe?

I don't bite, but in the winter when they get dry and annoy me that's what I do -- get out some lotion, apply -- and it's both an action and seems to actually solve the problem...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:29 pm
And make sure you get a lotion that tastes like crap.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
That only stops me until I've eaten off all the lotion.
Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:30 pm
Have you tried keeping a little bottle of hand lotion nearby and slather on the lotion instead of nibbling?

You'd be replacing a habit with a habit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
I type a lot and shuffle papers... it makes using lotion during the day hard. I can try to do it more though...it's worth a shot. But a lot of times, I don't even realize I'm doing it until I bite hard and OUCH!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
Is there such a thing as dry lotion?

I need non-slip moisturizer - cuz keyboarding can be difficult with most lotions/potions.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:35 pm
doesn't the 'rubberband' solution help ?
put a rubberband losely around your wrist and whenever you feel like biting your cuticles, you snap the rubberband. i read somewhere, that method can be used to cure certain bad habits.
(if that doesn't work, you can whack yourself over the head with a 2x4 whenever ... i'm so thankful i don't have any bad habits ! really ! i mean it !). hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
I'm on the computer a lot and don't have any particular problem with lotion -- I put it right on the backs of my fingers and while of course I still have to rub it in, the whole thing's over in a matter of seconds and then I'm good to go.

I use "Kiss my face" lotion, it soaks in really quickly.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
Kiss my Face? Who makes it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
How about an elizabethan collar?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Chumly wrote:
How about an elizabethan collar?

I think that's so I can't bite my ass.
0 Replies

sozobe

Kiss My Face. Laughing

http://www.kissmyface.com/

This is what I use, love it:

http://www.kissmyface.com/products/fullsize/moisturizers/peachescreme4oz.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I think that's so I can't bite my ass.
Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:57 pm
apparently the 'rubberband' method helps to prevent nailbiting , i imagine it should also help to control cuticle biting ( from 'lifehacker' website ). hbg

How to use a rubberband to stop biting your nails
READ MORE: Habits, MacGyver
Former nail-biter Ken Norton kicked the habit by wrapping a rubberband around his wrist and snapping it just enough to sting when he thought about chewing on his fingernails:

At first, I'd remember to snap myself only after I'd started biting. Or I'd snap myself, but chew anyway. But within 48 hours I noticed that I was chewing less and less. For one thing, I was thinking about nailbiting more frequently, and I was reminding myself how much I hated it. Amazingly, the involuntary habit had given way to my voluntary consciousness. Within a week I was done biting, and have never had the problem again (I ditched the rubber band after two weeks). For the first time in my life I had to learn how to clip my nails.
0 Replies