CANADA'S NEW PRIME-MINISTER TELLS U.S. "TO BUTT OUT"

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:14 pm
timber wrote : "Whats with this desperate need to manufacture an issue none of the rest of the world cares about? "

it seems to me that if the united states would not care about the issue of who has control over the north-west passage, amb wilkins would not have mentioned it. i doubt very much that wilkins just pilled his comments out of thin air ? hbg

ps i understand that other nations are also interested in the north-west passage, russia being one of them.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:18 pm
What I mean is that only Canada seems to think there is a cause to be pressed - the rest of the world doesn't endorse Canada's desire to extend its sovereignty into international waters.

I gotta say I agree with the assessment this has been played in Canada as a domestic-consumption-only sop to those who wish to see Canada "Stand up to the Americans" - its certainly a safe protest, in that it is comprised of empty rhetoric.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:30 pm
"Ah, Canada, all tucked away nicely, down there." (Homer Simpson).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:27 pm
homer simpson, just gotta love him !
have to see that i get my weekly fix.(cheaper than taking a trip across the border and just as real). hbg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:38 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Canadians are a fine bunch of folk, but thy spend too much time defining themselves not by what they are, but by what they aren't : Americans.

Ah, the voice of the Generalizer....You meet up with a lot of Canadians down there in Dallas, Finn?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
It keeps on popping up as a topic.
More frequently of late.

Northwest Passage redux

Quote:
Even before the passage becomes ice-free, other developments are expected to create a host of new security and law-enforcement issues. Among those trends: the world's increasing thirst for oil and gas, exploration for precious metals and diamonds, growing demands on the northern fishery and a steady rise in ecotourism and adventure travel.

Canada has at least four territorial disputes with its Arctic neighbors -- two with the United States, one with Russia and one with Denmark -- that could flare up with the receding ice.

Everybody wants something.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 04:06 pm
CBC's got a decent backgrounder on this <with some interesting links off to the right>

INDEPTH: IT'S A FINE LINE

As much as some of this annoys me, this made me smile.

Quote:
Considering the length of Canada's international borders, there are very few disputes keeping diplomats busy these days.

I guess the kidz were bored, and Ambassador Wilkins decided to oblige.

Wilkins has a way with a phrase ...

Quote:
The adroit ambassador can always be counted on to say something that lets Canadian prime ministers stand up and pound their nationalist breasts. In December, he gave Liberal Leader Paul Martin a boost in the polls by attacking him for criticizing George W. Bush. This week, it was Harper's turn to get a helping hand.

"The United States defends its sovereignty; the Canadian government will defend our sovereignty," the Conservative leader warned sternly on Thursday. "It is the Canadian people that we get our mandate from, not the ambassador of the United States."

Huzzah. Take that, George W.

<snip>

Quote:

<some interesting commentary by Walkom if you click on his name in the linked article>

<and TheStar ? left of centre using a U.S. scale >
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:31 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Canadians are a fine bunch of folk, but thy spend too much time defining themselves not by what they are, but by what they aren't : Americans.

Ah, the voice of the Generalizer....You meet up with a lot of Canadians down there in Dallas, Finn?

Actually I do a lot of business in Canada and have quite a few Canadian friends and associates. Being in Candad frequently I have the opportunity to watch their television networks and read their newspapers. I do not profess to be an expert on Canada, but I think I'm entitled to my opinion.

Actually I live in Keller Texas, not Dallas, but I know how the sight of Dallas as a location inspires you Liberals to gross generalizations, and enjoy provoking it.

I will remember, though, your admonition against generalization, and remind you of it, when you rant about the failings of Republicans, Christians and Americans in general.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:45 pm
ehBeth brings up an interesting point ("everybody wants something").

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there isn't something in the Geneva Conventions regarding international waterways and the rights of countries to access them.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
The thing that is encouraging is that something as small as a micro-organism can kill an elephant!! And when the elephant has gone rogue, the best thing that can happen is that it is killed!!

Anon
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:19 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
The thing that is encouraging is that something as small as a micro-organism can kill an elephant!! And when the elephant has gone rogue, the best thing that can happen is that it is killed!!

Anon

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:46 am
Article 16(4) of the Geneva Convention provided that:

There shall be no suspension of the innocent passage of foreign ships through straits which are used in international navigation between one part of the high seas and another part of the high seas or the territorial sea of a foreign State.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:08 am
We're not talking about suspension of passage of foreign ships, dear.

We are, however, talking about sovereignty. Foreign ships will likely be obliged to register, as they do in the Panama Canal now.

As these are Canadian waters Canadians have every right, and Mr. Harper knows this, to either use and protect our waters, or lose them.

We have no intention of losing them.

Ciao
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:33 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
hamburger wrote:
i don't think this disagreement is just going to fade away. u.s. ambassador wilkins probably didn't receive much instruction in the fine art of diplomacy.
he would have done well to take a few lessons from henry kissinger before starting his assignment. henry knew how "to talk to the enemy". hbg

Trust me, to the extent that this issue resonates, it does so only in Canada.

The Canadian relationship with America approaches that of a group of mice with an elephant. The elephant hardly acknowledges that the mice exist and will from time to time step on one without thinking. The mice muster all sorts of righteous attacks against the elephant but never manage to do more than cutting a cuticle.

Nationalistic pride is, I believe, a good thing (within reason) and if I were Canadian, I probably would have a few choice words to say about America, but Canadians need to develop a national identity that has nothing to do with America.

This issue of who owns the Northwest Passage is meaningless. If it ever becomes a matter of crucial national interest to America, Canada will not be able to thwart the desires of the US. Hopefully such a level of disagreement will never be necessary, but at some point the mice have to realize that there is not a whole lot they can do to direct the elephant.

Your arrogance never fails to amaze me! Are you all like that in Texas? I can see where Bush gets it.

The issue of who owns the NW Passage is meaningless? Then why are so many Americans interested in it?

You know nothing of Canada and how its citizens feel about their identity. Sure, like the rest of the world, we're very glad to NOT be Americans, but we certainly know our heritage and are quite proud of it. You should stay with what you know rather than make a fool of yourself by spouting off silly threats that "Canada will not be able to thwart the desires of the US". As I said before, Cuba is much smaller and has been able to "thwart the US" much to the Americans chagrin.

America, much as it likes to thump it's chest, or trumpet its elephant trunk, is not above the law. We have every right to protect the sovereignty of our waters and will do so. It's happening as we speak.

You see, we aren't a country with an over 700 BILLION trade deficit, like the US. We can afford to protect what is ours.

If you want to use the NW Passage, register your American ships, pay a fee, like they do in the Panama Canal, and you are allowed through. Simple. It's more than the Americans would do, were the tables turned.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:13 am
Problem is the law ain't on Canada's side here, nor is maritime custom The Panama Canal reference is silly - it has no bearing. Canada is welcome to pick any battle it cares to, claim anything it wants, but International Waters means International Waters to the rest of the world, regardless what Canadians would prefer it to mean. And really, its a non issue, a game for home consumption ... keep the proles happy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:44 am
The Canadian government must deal with Arctic sovereignty and geopolitical issues. Canada's position has been that the Northwest Passage is Canadian territory because they are internal waters covered year-round with ice. The United States and many European countries have stated a position that once the passage is open to connect two international bodies of water, it will become an international route.

The reference to the Panama Canal is not silly. These waters pass through Canadian territory and it is the responsibility of our government to ensure the ecological safety of our territory. This cannot be guaranteed by ignoring our sovereignty. This has been going on for the past 20 years and is not something new for Canada. Now that the waters are expected to remain open due to melting, the U.S. sees an economic opportunity.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:40 pm
Agreed, Intrepid. Interesting that a few of the Americans on board here keep saying such nonsense as:

"it's a non issue" or 'the issue of who owns the NW Passage is meaningless'.

The US, being opportunistic, does see it as a possible economic boon. They will deny it, of course. Perhaps their 'free speech' press is not releasing the full story and they are kept ignorant as usual.

Ironic that so many Americans are on this thread denying that it's an issue.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm
...INTERNATIONAL WATERS...

the above is an interesting article from the british newspaper "the independent".
since not even "experts" (lawyers and assorted researchers) agree on the various definitions - depending upon which country and interests they represent - i certainly can't do more than express some thoughts on and some interest in the subject. i have the feeling that this is a subject that will gain in importance in the years to come . there seem to be quite a few players already, (canada, the united states, denmark, greenland, russia, to name a few) that claim to have a legitimate interest in the north-west passage and the economic benefits that can be derived from "ownership" of same. hbg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
hamburger wrote:
i don't think this disagreement is just going to fade away. u.s. ambassador wilkins probably didn't receive much instruction in the fine art of diplomacy.
he would have done well to take a few lessons from henry kissinger before starting his assignment. henry knew how "to talk to the enemy". hbg

Trust me, to the extent that this issue resonates, it does so only in Canada.

The Canadian relationship with America approaches that of a group of mice with an elephant. The elephant hardly acknowledges that the mice exist and will from time to time step on one without thinking. The mice muster all sorts of righteous attacks against the elephant but never manage to do more than cutting a cuticle.

Nationalistic pride is, I believe, a good thing (within reason) and if I were Canadian, I probably would have a few choice words to say about America, but Canadians need to develop a national identity that has nothing to do with America.

This issue of who owns the Northwest Passage is meaningless. If it ever becomes a matter of crucial national interest to America, Canada will not be able to thwart the desires of the US. Hopefully such a level of disagreement will never be necessary, but at some point the mice have to realize that there is not a whole lot they can do to direct the elephant.

Your arrogance never fails to amaze me! Are you all like that in Texas? I can see where Bush gets it.

Yes, and in New York as well. Since I am originally from New York and currently reside in Texas, I have double dose of arrogance. Of course one would expect Canadians to feel that a rag-picker in Bumf*ck Arkansas is arrogant as well given their national inferiority complex.

The issue of who owns the NW Passage is meaningless? Then why are so many Americans interested in it?

So many? What, seven? As an issue, this one is on the end of page 16,245 of single spaced issues Americans care about.

You know nothing of Canada and how its citizens feel about their identity.

And yet you know so much about Americans in general and Texans in particular.

Sure, like the rest of the world, we're very glad to NOT be Americans, but we certainly know our heritage and are quite proud of it.

See? The need to type "NOT" in capital letters is yet another manifestation of the inferiority complex of Canadians. If your heritage is so central to the Canadian identity, why did it's conflict with America figure so prominently in your most recent national election? The notion that any national election in the US might turn upon the public's perception of whether or not a candidate is in lock step with Canada is laughable.

You should stay with what you know rather than make a fool of yourself by spouting off silly threats that "Canada will not be able to thwart the desires of the US". As I said before, Cuba is much smaller and has been able to "thwart the US" much to the Americans chagrin.

Really? The only way that Cuba has thwarted the will of the US, is in the continued subjugation of its people by Fidel Castro. Quite an accomplishment. If Cuba stood between the US and a vital resource like water, Cuba would not thwart our will; nor will Canada.

America, much as it likes to thump it's chest, or trumpet its elephant trunk, is not above the law. We have every right to protect the sovereignty of our waters and will do so. It's happening as we speak.

I'm sure something can be worked out that will allow Canadians to save national face while accommodating the strategic interests of the US. If it means Canadians earn a few more toonies, so be it.

You see, we aren't a country with an over 700 BILLION trade deficit, like the US. We can afford to protect what is ours.

And how will you do that if we decide to take what is yours?

If you want to use the NW Passage, register your American ships, pay a fee, like they do in the Panama Canal, and you are allowed through. Simple. It's more than the Americans would do, were the tables turned.

I've no problem with Canada reaping a few sheckles from the NW Passage. It's the least we can do after stealing hockey from you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:48 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Agreed, Intrepid. Interesting that a few of the Americans on board here keep saying such nonsense as:

"it's a non issue" or 'the issue of who owns the NW Passage is meaningless'.

The US, being opportunistic, does see it as a possible economic boon. They will deny it, of course. Perhaps their 'free speech' press is not releasing the full story and they are kept ignorant as usual.

Ironic that so many Americans are on this thread denying that it's an issue.

A four year old holds in his hands a piece of candy. A fifteen year old who has collected a veritable hoard of candy ignores the four year old.

The four year old looks at the fifteen year old and feels menaced. "Maybe he will try and take my candy!" For the four year old his retaining his candy is a major issue.

The fifteen year old looks at the four year old and smiles. "How cute, " he muses, "Doesn't he realize that if I wanted his candy it would be mine?" At the same time he appreciates that he has plenty of candy, and if he ever fell short he would be happy to compensate the four year old for his, but should he ever find himself devoid of candy and jonesing for it like a mofo, he could take the four year old's candy and leave him crying.

No nation on earth has yet advance beyond adolescence - not the US, and surely not Canada.
0 Replies