CANADA'S NEW PRIME-MINISTER TELLS U.S. "TO BUTT OUT"

Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
Except for a few spelling mistakes and a bit of grammar, it was a beautiful post Chumly
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:06 pm
Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:06 pm
I think Chumly dealt handsomely with the subject - not much else to say.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
Yup, I think the 5 paragraphs on the U.S. was most interesting.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:28 pm
Agreed. Most Canadians are just SO interested in America and EVERYTHING it does! Thanks for the newsy post, Chumly.

My, we Canucks just would have no life were it not for the neighbor to the south. Sigh.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:47 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Agreed. Most Canadians are just SO interested in America and EVERYTHING it does! Thanks for the newsy post, Chumly.

My, we Canucks just would have no life were it not for the neighbor to the south. Sigh.

The Milky Way resides in Saskatchewan. Who'd have thunk it?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
Gritting my teeth I confess to agreeing (in large part) with Setanta.

When the US sent a drone to launch Hell-fire missiles at a gathering within the Pakistani badlands; where the #2 al-Qaeda leader might have been, the Pakistani government squealed like a pig with it's tail on fire.

And yet it's a safe bet that the official umbrage was purely for domestic consumption.

This non-issue with Canada is so transparent in its origins that it is laughable, but what is truly amusing is that it seems to be working! God bless the Canuks for their innocence.

The Liberal knock on Harper was that he would be a lap-dog of America.

What's one of the first official acts of his leadership? Defy the Americans!

If and when this becomes an issue of true importance, what Harper has said in 2006 will not mean much.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
You never heard of dairy cows?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:00 am
I am very sorry my Commonwealth cousin/cousines, but harbouring those guilty of 'crimes against humanity' is not going to win you any friends....

http://g.sheetmusicplus.com/Look-Inside/covers/WB-pf9520.jpg

Just hand her over for a fair trial and a fair hangin' and we'll consider your slate cleaned permanently.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
finn wrote : "where the #2 al-Qaeda leader might have been, the Pakistani government squealed like a pig with it's tail on fire. "

that's a good one , "might have been " ; he "might have been " just about anywhere. so a/t to finn's reasoning it must be o.k. to kill a group of civilians because a terrorist "might have been" in the area.
i hope a terrorist is not suspected to be anywhere near finn's abode. the u.s. might just decide to fire a rocket and express regret to finn's relatives.

and further : "What's one of the first official acts of his leadership? Defy the Americans! ".
finn must have trouble reading timelines. it was u.s. ambassador wilkins - who no doubt was ordered to do so - , who poked a finger into stephen harper's eye - and into the eyes of all canadians.
he must be a great friend of canada.

i guess finn expected stephen harper to call on the u.s. , to send the marines to canada to protect him from left-wing, red underwear carrying canadians.
seems that the CIA was not quite familiar with canadian sentiments. perhaps we should invite them to spend their vacation in canada. we'll be glad to make them familiar with canadian customs.
in friendship, hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:21 am
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/emo104.gif
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
hamburger wrote:
i don't think this disagreement is just going to fade away. u.s. ambassador wilkins probably didn't receive much instruction in the fine art of diplomacy.
he would have done well to take a few lessons from henry kissinger before starting his assignment. henry knew how "to talk to the enemy". hbg

Trust me, to the extent that this issue resonates, it does so only in Canada.

Canadians are a fine bunch of folk, but thy spend too much time defining themselves not by what they are, but by what they aren't : Americans.

The Canadian relationship with America approaches that of a group of mice with an elephant. The elephant hardly acknowledges that the mice exist and will from time to time step on one without thinking. The mice muster all sorts of righteous attacks against the elephant but never manage to do more than cutting a cuticle.

Nationalistic pride is, I believe, a good thing (within reason) and if I were Canadian, I probably would have a few choice words to say about America, but Canadians need to develop a national identity that has nothing to do with America.

This issue of who owns the Northwest Passage is meaningless. If it ever becomes a matter of crucial national interest to America, Canada will not be able to thwart the desires of the US. Hopefully such a level of disagreement will never be necessary, but at some point the mice have to realize that there is not a whole lot they can do to direct the elephant.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
Funny, I always heard that elephants are afraid of mice.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:33 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Funny, I always heard that elephants are afraid of mice.

Only in cartoons. If notice at all is taken of a mouse by an elephant, the mouse's prospects are dim indeed.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:36 pm
Hmmmmm.......I suppose.....although, I have heard if a mouse gets up inside of an elephant's trunk, it can suffocate it. Maybe that is why elephants don't like mice. Gotta watch the little guys. Sometimes they'll get you when you're not watching, you know?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
Well, even paranoids can have real enemies - just being crazy is no guarantee nobody's out to get you. On elephants and mice, though, the deal is a myth. Ask any zookeeper or naturalist.

Oh, and elephants don't breath through their trunks - besides, consider that an elephant can spray several gallons of water a good distance in very short order, with great force and fair accuracy; a well placed spray can knock a man down from several yards. Apart from the fact an elphant's trunk is extremely sensitive, well-served by nerves, and has more muscles than the entire human body, its incredibly flexible, and reacts instantaneously to irritation; not even bugs get up there, unless the elephant wants them there, like as a snack of ants or termites snarfled from a mound or nest to be sneezed into the beast's gaping maw.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:54 pm
Wow. I guess us mousy little Canadians had best watch out!

Then- I remember stories like David and Goliath.

Hubris has a way of knocking a nation down faster than an elephant can fart.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
Oh, BTW, Cuba has kept America at bay. So can Canada.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
Whats with this desperate need to manufacture an issue none of the rest of the world cares about?
0 Replies