0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:05 pm
Don't I wish what?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:10 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Take this conversation as your example. I say anything relating to any sort of discrimination against whites and everyone seems to think that I am being a baby about it.

You have always had it good.
What do you have to complain about?
You had better schooling so you have had a better start in life.

So what? If you make a bigoted remark about me, white or black or green, you are still making a bigoted remark. THAT is my point. The point that people seem to turn their heads when a group (whites as an example, but not the only example) that has not always been oppressed is discriminated against.

That is what I call reverse discrimination/racism/bigotry. When a large group is discriminated against and it is ok for some reason or another.

hmmmm. and who's discriminated against in that conversation? the one with better education? i guess i just don't see it. to me that don't seem racist or bigoted. i mean, it depends. if someone told me that and that person happened to grow up somewhere in the slum while i had a nice cushy ride all they way....i'd have to agree i have a better start in life just by a function of to which family i was born. if it was someone of a similar background and/or if this statement was otherwise obviously false, then it could be prejudiced. but if we are talking about (some) minorities in the states and the 'white' population, i guess i'd agree with them in many cases. not if the person who'd be saying that was coming from a well-off or well educated family...but generally... it's about acess. that's still not equal for everybody. of course not for many white people as well, but some minorities were systematically pushed away for centuries...that doesn't get wiped out that easily, not even in a few decades.

Quote:
From Wikipedia: Bigot is often used as pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to his or her prejudices even when these prejudices are challenged or proven to be false, often engaging these prejudices in a rude and intolerant manner. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology, like racism, religion, nationalism, and homophobia.

dunno, but i'd reserve that term for much more severe statements, assumptions and actions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Take this conversation as your example. I say anything relating to any sort of discrimination against whites and everyone seems to think that I am being a baby about it.
That is what I call reverse discrimination/racism/bigotry. When a large group is discriminated against and it is ok for some reason or another.

hmmmm. and who's discriminated against in that conversation? the one with better education?

When I am told to suck it up because I'm "white and privlidged" and that I don't know anything about discrimination because I'm white and I don't have the kind of past other minority groups have had I don't take that well. Why is it ok to talk about white to black racism, but not black to white? They both exist.

Why do I think that's discrimination? Because if you said any of that to a minority (to suck it up...etc), you'd be labled a racist or a bigot.

Say it to a white man and 9 times out of 10, it's ok. That is my point. Many times (not all times) but many times this happens and no one seems to think a thing of it. I am not saying that minorities are the ones always doing it. I am simply saying it happens.

Maybe it's my neck of the woods that I hear and see it more than some. Maybe I am sensitive to it. I don't know. Maybe I am talking out my ass.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
BTW, I hate using the terms "minority and majority" groups when referring to people. But don't know any other terms. Suggestions?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
Talk is not the same as what's obvious and how people are treated based on color.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Talk is not the same as what's obvious and how people are treated based on color.

No, it isn't. But how do you think a white, middle class woman is treated in downtown Detroit?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
I don't know, but I'm sure you'll tell us.
Gender problem in the US is not limited to downtown Detroit.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
BD, that you enjoy the distinction of being crucified, of course.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:04 pm
I heard on the radio today that a residential rental office put up a sign saying something like: "We are not racist, but we do not accept blacks."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I heard on the radio today that a residential rental office put up a sign saying something like: "We are not racist, but we do not accept blacks."

Oh, I'm sure there are thoroughly excellent, valid, reasons for that, JL! :wink:

Seriously, though, wouldn't that company be in breach of some EO law? Where I live they would be.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:19 pm
They'd be sued so quickly, not may people will really see that sign. And there's a good chance a white attorney will take up the cause.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
They'd be sued so quickly, not may people will really see that sign. And there's a good chance a white attorney will take up the cause.

Really? As a cause, ci? Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:29 pm
It seems to me that reverse racism first became an issue in America when some potential med student sued because a black person was chosen over him with no regard for merit.

Can't find the documentation, however.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:29 pm
Yes, equal opportunity (for women and minorities) and non-discrimination are still causes in the US. When discrimination is proven, companies are paying big bucks to settle. A recent suit against WalMart is a good example.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
White teens are being charged with lynching a black man. They could end up in prison for many years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Letty, I remember that case; it was, I believe, in Illinois. Bakki, or something like that!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
Actually, it was a UC case in California, and Bakke, not Bakki.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
i believe the first legal case was around 1997. or was it the first one that won...? i forget, i used to know all the benchmark years from plessy v. fergusson to the recent trials.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:52 pm
That's the one, C.I.

Dag, I don't know about your 1997 reference, and I have forgotten if Bakke won, but I reiterate, it's not so much about racism or the reverse of it, it's about high visibility. Frankly, if I had my way, everyone involved in any potential application, or courtroom should be disguised so that no one would know his racial origin.
0 Replies