I have a very big problem with gramar, though unique

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:11 pm
finally! a decent photo of MrsD! Laughing
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:46 pm
Eh ... ehBeth, that's SOME appendage to your name, seasoned member!
Paprika, I 'spose, eh?

Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:52 pm
Debacle wrote:
Eh ... ehBeth, that's SOME appendage to your name, seasoned member!
Paprika, I 'spose, eh?

Razz

I noticed that - I'm thinking paprika would in fact be very appropriate. I liked being enthusiastic, but there's something to be said for a bit of careful seasoning :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:54 pm
i do also note your notable enthusiasm for the eh word. i will defer comment. it is sunday, after all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:57 am
I used computers to type things for years, but didn't get email until the yr2000, thus coming to the world of emoticons, smilies, and various abbreviations quite late, and.......I have never been very attracted to them, I would rather just say what I mean, and if I have to give an indicator that I am kidding, I say I am kidding, or say the word 'smiles'.

I haven't chatted online all that much, only here, recently, and find people will wait for me.

I have tried the gold smilies here once or twice, because I like them Visually, as opposed to symbolically. They are sort of cute, but I think that assessment will wear off for me.

And, yes, in confirmation of supposition, I am in the most prevalent age group on the linked thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 01:01 am
This is, though, my primary language - English. I can only admire people for whom it isn't the first language, trying to communicate in a forum such as this. I read italian a bit, but totally massacre the language when I try to write it, try as I might.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 07:00 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
But, again, the problem doesn't appear to be major.

Properly speaking, linguists think that the word "but" is generally not followed by a comma. Correct written style requires Kim wanted to go, but we stayed, not Kim wanted to go, but, we stayed. I have to point out, however, that some of writers used to follow their "but" with a comma. Don't know if you guys think that is a torture to proper grammar.
P.S. Sorry, this post seems somewhat OT, but your idea about "I suggest you proof-read everything you write very carefully before you post it" driving me to post it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 07:30 am
In self-defense, Merry Andrew must respectfully disagree with aristarA's post above. The fact that the first word in the sentence is 'but' is irrelevant to the use of the comma after it. Commas are used to separate a phrase or a word in apposition and that is precisely what the word 'again' is here -- an appositive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:48 am
I used a lot of commas in my posts above. Sometimes I do that. When I do, I am using them as bases to pause at for the significance of what will follow to sink in a little bit. Sometimes I write long sentences without most of those commas; that is another writing style for me. I do both of these variations on purpose. Well, usually. I also, as just seen, do not always write full sentences.
That is on purpose too.
0 Replies