I have a very big problem with gramar, though unique

margo

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:05 pm
I think it depends on who or what you're writing for.

If you want someone else to read and understand, then stream of consciousness is a bit useless (there are some exceptions). Other people's consciousness may not run along that stream. If for yourself only, then it's fine.

If you are a writer, and trying to attract attention, and get people to read your work, then you do need to conform, to some extent. People are not going to persevere with an unknown writer they can't understand. If you need to analyse every word to see what the hell he's saying, then..... who has that time?

In forums such as this, informal language is quite acceptable. I am learning not to cringe at the American spellings (mostly).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:58 pm
Hiya Margo,

I agree that in a forum such as this informal English is not only fine but preferable. However, I think that informality is different from don't give a damn, not paying attention to what I'm saying or how I'm saying it.

For me the bottom line in English is communication. If your thinking and writing are so sloppy that no one knows what you're talking about, then what's the point?

Roberta
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:12 pm
You're absolutely right, Roberta. A sentence can be grammatically perfect, but if its meaning is so obscure that you need a lawyer to interpret it, it's terrible writing. On the other hand, I've seen some incomplete sentences and just throw-away phrases on these forumes that make their point clearly and concisely.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:51 pm
I notice that on this site, there is very little use of chat-room type abbreviations. Can't think of any good examples right now (other than ROTFLMAO), because I never use them, but perhaps something like "CU l8er" for "see you later". I haven't seen any protocol that prohibits use of those; perhaps it's a generational thing. (I believe the pre- and barely-pubescent crowd are especially fond of them.) Would all those abbreviations come under the umbrella of informality here being discussed?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:01 am
Aa - have you looked at this click here thread? Your generational comment might find some validation there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:15 am
The ready availability of clever emoticons kind of takes the place of those abbreviations, Aa. Nobody types LOL when they can say, instead Laughing
0 Replies

MellowGemini

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:25 am
Though some sensitive newcomers that pay attention to the emmoticons. May in fact view them as deceiving, for you just put above a laughing one. Which in turn may not replace LOL to all, but instead may them view as if they are being laughed at or not taken for what their post stands for.
I belive and know that many of you here already know each other. At the same time what about the Guests, Newcomers? LOL stands for a hell of allot more than a smile symbol. LOL is sincere, when a symbol is used by many and actually in turn can bring out the wrong view in the readers response or in turn view.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:44 am
--ehBeth, thanks for the "click here" reference. I read some of it and found a wide range of ages (I almost said "rage of anges") but did not notice chat-room shortcut language among the youngest there.
--Merry Andrew, a brief comment on your statement: *I* might very well say "LOL" instead of making a smiley face, because I don't yet know how to make those picture things, being that my learning curve is still on the flatliner edge of the Bell curve. I need to study the Tutorial Forum. Eventually, eventually ...
--MellowGemini, your perception that a lot of people here already know each other - that is, are acquainted with each other - is quite correct. When I joined A2K, I toyed briefly with the idea of using a new name and starting afresh, but then I yielded to the comfortable old identity, despite its mile-long baggage. It results in a bit of cognitive dissonance, so to speak, because suddenly I've become a bumbling newbie, though not a stranger, to many.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:57 am
I would say 'don't you dare change your name', Aa, but ROFL, you can't. Yer stuck with it.

MG makes a good point, if you think about it. LOL really is not the same as Laughing , which could indeed be taken as laughing at someone. Those abbreviations really developed in chatroom context, not discussion. If the chat is working at all, there just isn't time to hunt around for the perfect emoticon.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 07:55 am
Aa - are you creating your responses from the Quick Reply or by using the response button?
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:31 pm
From Quick Reply.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 06:48 pm
Well I happen to like such that pull mile-long baggage trains, steaming clouds of glory, and strive, with heaving bazooms, amongst the madding crowd, regardless whether said such chooses to LOL, ROTF, or merely GRIMACE.

Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 06:58 pm
Aa- the emoticons can be found (as can the colours and other decorative features) when you reply using the reply button from any of the previous posts.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 07:01 pm
Debacle

Just to clairify...you did use the phrase 'heaving bazooms'?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:55 pm
Embarrassed Well, if you put it like that, categorically speakin', so to speak, ... uh, well, yeah, I did. But, please the Court, there were extenuatin' circumstances.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 12:40 am
Debacle

Yeah???? Shocked Like what???? Confused What coicumstances????
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:22 am
someone heaved some bazooms right in his line of sight, i'll bet. Poor lad.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:38 am
Thassh a fack, Jack Exclamation Drunk Drunk Drunk You ain't said Jack **** Exclamation
<**** term deleted by Committee for Propagation of Public Decency>

http://www.artwithasmile.com/Test1/Pages/Collections/Food/Food%20Detail/H10-phylissdillpickle.html

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 12:49 pm
Thassa mush betta picha of ye, Mr D Shocked
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 01:07 pm
This is great.....haven't laughed this hard in ages! Very Happy
0 Replies