The Last Word: Noam Chomsky

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
yitwail

A tip on Chomsky...go ahead and keep a file of anything other folks say he has said or written, but leave them in that file until you get verification and context.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:14 pm
Chomsky, being an anarchist, can't possibly be all bad.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
blatham wrote:
yitwail

A tip on Chomsky...go ahead and keep a file of anything other folks say he has said or written, but leave them in that file until you get verification and context.

that's ok, i'm not a Chomsky watcher, but with regard to his comment that "by now Jews in the US are the most privileged and influential part of the population," the context is the edited transcript of a video linkup on 11 October 2002 between MIT & the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign. if you google '"anti-semitism, zionism, and the palestinians" chomsky' you'll get 60 hits, omitting 235 similar results. here's a couple i looked at:

http://www.variant.randomstate.org/16texts/Chomsky.html

http://fromoccupiedpalestine.org/node.php?id=116&PHPSESSID=09805de5074dd14d30ebbdf0e9d30a6d

you can even buy it as a $1.50 pamphlet here:
http://www2.akpress.org/2003/items/antisemitismzionismandpalestinians

but i've yet to come across any denial by Prof. Chomsky of having made such a remark, nor has the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign denied having heard them. short of emailing Prof. Chomsky at MIT, i'm not sure i can come up with more verification.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
blatham wrote:
yitwail

that's ok, i'm not a Chomsky watcher, but with regard to his comment that "by now Jews in the US are the most privileged and influential part of the population," the context is the edited transcript of a video linkup on 11 October 2002 between MIT & the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign. if you google '"anti-semitism, zionism, and the palestinians" chomsky' you'll get quite a few hits. here's a couple i looked at:

http://www.variant.randomstate.org/16texts/Chomsky.html

http://fromoccupiedpalestine.org/node.php?id=116&PHPSESSID=09805de5074dd14d30ebbdf0e9d30a6d

you can even buy it as a $1.50 pamphlet here:
http://www2.akpress.org/2003/items/antisemitismzionismandpalestinians

but i've yet to come across any denial by Prof. Chomsky of having made such a remark, nor has the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign denied having heard them. short of emailing Prof. Chomsky at MIT, i'm not sure i can come up with more verification.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
yitwail

Let's assume he did express that sentence. Do you suggest it is an example of anti-semitism? Note that he states it as a means of contrasting a clear tendency in America to anti-semitism at the time when he was recently married.

If I were to say (in one speech out of thousands) that "now the Irish in the US are the most privileged and influential part of the population," would that demonstrate some clear anti-irish sentiment?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
an unsubstantiated or factually inaccurate statement does not necessarily demonstrate bias. it could also indicate ignorance or even constitute a slip of the tongue, but in the absence of a retraction, it diminishes the speaker's credibility.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
This is the single best peice iv'e read on the Iraq war so far and it comes to me from a canadian, from an American. Where's team America A2K at?

blatham wrote:
yitwail

Fill me in buddy?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Why is it that I get locked out of a thread for one semi-perverted comment and this one canadian broad is allowed to spew her narrow-minded insult-fest up and down every thread???
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:21 pm
I've never seen Enlishmajors threads addressed intelligently. He/She is probably reacting to the way we react to what is disturbing information about ourselves so we insult him/her then she insults us and so on and so on.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:34 pm
John Creasy Wrote:

Quote:
Why is it that I get locked out of a thread for one semi-perverted comment and this one canadian broad is allowed to spew her narrow-minded insult-fest up and down every thread???

Good question, John. I have been wondering it myself. If you ever figure it out, please let me in on it. On a side note, Englishmajor has dual citizenship (She is, don't faint! An American!). She did say it runs out soon though.:wink:
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:42 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
John Creasy Wrote:

Quote:

Good question, John. I have been wondering it myself. If you ever figure it out, please let me in on it. On a side note, Englishmajor has dual citizenship (She is, don't faint! An American!). She did say it runs out soon though.:wink:
Why don't you guys go back and see for yourself or would you rather get together and reinforce each others bullshit?

Here's a f**king word to look up INTROSPECT
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:58 pm
Amigo wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
John Creasy Wrote:

Quote:

Why don't you guys go back and see for yourself or would you rather get together and reinforce each others bullshit?

Here's a f**king word to look up INTROSPECT

Dude, what's the matter? She does do quite a bit of namecalling. And you posted this:

Amigo Wrote:

Quote:
I've never seen Enlishmajors threads addressed intelligently. He/She is probably reacting to the way we react to what is disturbing information about ourselves so we insult him/her then she insults us and so on and so on.

What's up? That was a pretty harsh response, wasn't it? I have seen others suspended or posts pulled for a lot less than what Englishmajor has posted. She's got her right to her opinions and whatever, but she's pretty blatant about her namecalling, don't you think? I mean, what did that post of yours mean then?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:23 pm
Maybe your right.

I didn't mean to say that anybody was stupid and not intelligent. I meant to say that some of englishmajors ad-hominem attacks may be induced by our ad-hominem attacks or vice versa, We use this in place of intellect

It didn't feel harsh when I was writing it. Just goes to show maybe this forum thing isn't a perfect way to communicate.

Excuse me if I came off the wrong way. It's been going around latley.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:49 pm
Amigo wrote:
Maybe your right.

I didn't mean to say that anybody was stupid and not intelligent. I meant to say that some of englishmajors ad-hominem attacks may be induced by our ad-hominem attacks or vice versa, We use this in place of intellect

It didn't feel harsh when I was writing it. Just goes to show maybe this forum thing isn't a perfect way to communicate.

Excuse me if I came off the wrong way. It's been going around latley.

I have to agree with you there, Amigo. It does seem that lately there has been a bit of a darker (?) tone going around? That's probably not the right word, but I think you know what I mean.

I think Englishmajor is a very intelligent woman. She has a cool sense of humor too. I just get ticked when she starts the attacks on America and Americans. My pet peeve I'd guess you say.

But hey, no harm, no foul. It's all good.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:15 am
Fancy seeing you here, momma. I just dropped by to cast my vote for Noam, the greatest American of all time.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:55 am
Hey echi,

I don't get along well with englishmajor so I won't be posting much.

Good to see you!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:08 am
Maybe we should start talking about the what Chomsky is actually saying.

I'll come back later when I figure out somthing to say. I think this deserves to be looked at.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:12 am
Amigo wrote:

That's funny, I've never seen a reason to address any of this comedian's threads seriously. She is a joke to me.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:18 am
John Creasy wrote:
Amigo wrote:

That's funny, I've never seen a reason to address any of this comedian's threads seriously. She is a joke to me.
This is what i'm talking about. Then what is your purpose here? Did you read the Chomsky piece?
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Amigo wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
Amigo wrote:

This is what i'm talking about. Then what is your purpose here? Did you read the Chomsky piece?

I read the article and commented on it. The author of the thread is a seperate issue. I have no reason to address English minor in any serious way because the way she presents herself and her views are not worthy of respect.
0 Replies