The Last Word: Noam Chomsky

coachryan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:30 am
Re: The Last Word: Noam Chomsky
John Creasy wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

This is absolutely correct. That "virus" is called communism and should rightly be fought against. It has destroyed every country it has touched.

Quote:

This is horsesh!t. Which is it?? Was it to stop the spread of communism or to destroy vietnam??? Make up your mind Noam. But like I said, it was to combat communism. The idea that we simply wanted to destroy the country of Vietnam is nonsense.

Englishmajor, your self-righteous phony outrage is a joke.

BTW, you seem to be adamant about getting America to "wake up". Have you ever stopped to think that ridicule is probably the least effective way to get people to see your point? My guess is that you just enjoy the feeling of superiority you get from indiscriminately bashing all Americans. Have a nice day.

These two goals are not mutually exclusive. By destroying the countrys ability to support itself you destroy its ability to be a successful model of independent development.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
Is there any evidence that this was the case???

They certainly didn't want to destroy south vietnam.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:32 pm
blatham wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, if America is so hated then I would imagine the influx of immigrants here will soon become non-existent? I mean, why come here if you hate America, right? :wink:

A thoughtless argument. Presently, many Pakistanis are moving down from higher elevations in the mountains. Not because they desire to do so but because they may die where they presently live. Over the last few centuries, folks have moved from the small villages and farms where their families had lived for centuries not because they thought the cities a preferable place to live but because they hoped they might lessen poverty and starvation working in dismal factories seven days a week. Populations in Africa shift from some horrid region to another horrid region out of dire necessity and hope. Certainly, most of the inhabitants of Algiers in 1934 would have moved to Germany if they knew of the place and could get there. Emmigration hardly tells us much about peoples' destinations.

But in fact, America is a pretty great place, with a high level of freedom and safety and with the liklihood that folks coming in will be able to lead a better life than previously.

Unfortunately for the nationalist sorts about, that doesn't help you out much unless you want to head straight for a principle of moral relativism (we are better than nazi germany, so there).

By polls, the US is now considered strongly negative by most of the western world's populations. Wallow in your juvenile pridefulness if that feels all warm and nice but at least have the fukking prudence to fathom how this decline has consequences.

Looks like you will have to read this post again, MoAn. You didn't 'get' it. BTW do you have boarders over for dinner every night? Or do people want to come to America's borders? Hope you and Ralpleb enjoy each other's intelligent company Laughing Laughing Can I rename you Bevis and Butthead?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
englishmajor wrote:
blatham wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, if America is so hated then I would imagine the influx of immigrants here will soon become non-existent? I mean, why come here if you hate America, right? :wink:

A thoughtless argument. Presently, many Pakistanis are moving down from higher elevations in the mountains. Not because they desire to do so but because they may die where they presently live. Over the last few centuries, folks have moved from the small villages and farms where their families had lived for centuries not because they thought the cities a preferable place to live but because they hoped they might lessen poverty and starvation working in dismal factories seven days a week. Populations in Africa shift from some horrid region to another horrid region out of dire necessity and hope. Certainly, most of the inhabitants of Algiers in 1934 would have moved to Germany if they knew of the place and could get there. Emmigration hardly tells us much about peoples' destinations.

But in fact, America is a pretty great place, with a high level of freedom and safety and with the liklihood that folks coming in will be able to lead a better life than previously.

Unfortunately for the nationalist sorts about, that doesn't help you out much unless you want to head straight for a principle of moral relativism (we are better than nazi germany, so there).

By polls, the US is now considered strongly negative by most of the western world's populations. Wallow in your juvenile pridefulness if that feels all warm and nice but at least have the fukking prudence to fathom how this decline has consequences.

Looks like you will have to read this post again, MoAn. You didn't 'get' it. BTW do you have boarders over for dinner every night? Or do people want to come to America's borders? Hope you and Ralpleb enjoy each other's intelligent company Laughing Laughing Can I rename you Bevis and Butthead?

Surely you aren't serious? Now you are down to attacking someone's spelling errors/typos? Shocked I have never met anyone as clueless about how to communicate effectively with others as you have proven yourself to be.

Ralpheb and I left the other thread because of your lack of common decency toward anyone that doesn't agree with you. Rolling Eyes

Same for this thread. I'm outta here.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:45 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing GOOD! Now we can have intelligent discussion without your constant interrupting about what something 'means'. You actually graduated from high school and you don't know what a plutocracy is? You live in one. You should know. Stick to your Bible threads. No one will argue with you there. Your Christian subterfuge doesn't work here. Bye bye. MERDE. Again, good riddance.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:21 am
I love noam.

I also liked Gus's 'boarders' joke.

What was this thread about again?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:26 am
Read the first page. It's an article about Noam; lots of his comments. He's still going strong at 77.

Yeah - Gus is a funny guy!

You getting flooded there downunder?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mama Angel wrote:
If people hate America so very much why do they fight so hard to enter her boarders

Maybe because the boarders are really hot.

Duh, yeah, momma, you're right! They were hot!! Dang, you JUST never know, DO YOU? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:31 am
personally, i don't take seriously anyone who once wrote, "I see no anti-Semitic implication in the denial of the existence in gas chambers or even in the denial of the Holocaust."
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:37 am
Please quote me the book/article where you saw this.

Aside from that, and not wanting to get into a Semitic-anti-Semitic battle, when the gas chambers were tested, there was no residue from gas or chemicals. An interesting tidbit. If you wish to debate this, please go onto another thread. This one is about Noam.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:07 am
it's from an Alan Dershowitz column. i'll save you the trouble of hunting it down in the original form: it was taken from a private letter Chomsky wrote according to a wikipedia discussion, which also claims that Chomsky meant a hypothetical individual with no knowledge of 20th century history could doubt the historicity of the holocaust without being a racist. while that sounds plausible, without having the full text of the letter it's difficult to say one way or the other, but given the fact that Chomsky also wrote the introduction to a holocaust denial book, i think skepticism is justified.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:03 am
englishmajor wrote:
Yes, the American way is to discredit or marginalize certain people, like Noam, Vidal, M. Moore.

Did you just put Gore Vidal and Noam Chomsky in the same grouping ans Michael Moore?

*Vomits uncontrollably*
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:06 am
Momma Angel wrote:

Hey, with a mind like that you should write pro-immigration slagans.

AMERICA - AT LEAST WE'RE NOT BANGLADESH!
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:10 am
John Creasy wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

This is absolutely correct. That "virus" is called communism and should rightly be fought against. It has destroyed every country it has touched.

Quote:

This is horsesh!t. Which is it?? Was it to stop the spread of communism or to destroy vietnam??? Make up your mind Noam. But like I said, it was to combat communism. The idea that we simply wanted to destroy the country of Vietnam is nonsense.

What do you mean "which is it"? The goal was to stop the "virus" of communism by spreading; the way they planned to destroy it was by turning Vietnam into a fetid shitpile, thus preventing it from serving as a role model for other nations who were contemplating taking up communism.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:13 am
yitwail wrote:
but given the fact that Chomsky also wrote the introduction to a holocaust denial book, i think skepticism is justified.

Wait, what?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:17 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Noam rules.

Yep! Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:36 am
yitwail wrote:
it's from an Alan Dershowitz column. i'll save you the trouble of hunting it down in the original form: it was taken from a private letter Chomsky wrote according to a wikipedia discussion, which also claims that Chomsky meant a hypothetical individual with no knowledge of 20th century history could doubt the historicity of the holocaust without being a racist. while that sounds plausible, without having the full text of the letter it's difficult to say one way or the other, but given the fact that Chomsky also wrote the introduction to a holocaust denial book, i think skepticism is justified.

Oh for gods sakes. The introduction was on the topic of full free speech. As it happens, that is a point on which I disagree with Chomsky. I believe 'hate speech' (narrowly defined) ought to be restricted. Your Supreme Court and Chomsky both differ from my view. Chomsky is himself Jewish and his writings/speeches do not attack Jewish people but do attack Israeli government policy. They also defend, in specific and limited ways, the Palestinians, but in no manner differently from peace groups within Israel.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:01 am
IronLionZion wrote:

the way they planned to destroy it was by turning Vietnam into a fetid shitpile, thus preventing it from serving as a role model for other nations who were contemplating taking up communism.

proof?????
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:08 am
msolga wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Noam rules.

Yep! Very Happy

Absolutely.

The most frightening thing about his analysis for me, is that I never thought of fitting the whole Saudi Arabia domino effect into the Shiite situation. I have always thought from day one of "shock and awe" that this was playing straight into Iran's hands.....but a possibility of Saudi as well?
Very scary.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
blatham wrote:
yitwail wrote:

Oh for gods sakes. The introduction was on the topic of full free speech. As it happens, that is a point on which I disagree with Chomsky. I believe 'hate speech' (narrowly defined) ought to be restricted. Your Supreme Court and Chomsky both differ from my view. Chomsky is himself Jewish and his writings/speeches do not attack Jewish people but do attack Israeli government policy. They also defend, in specific and limited ways, the Palestinians, but in no manner differently from peace groups within Israel.

i'm aware of the free-speech topic of his intro, which i've now learned wasn't even written on behalf of the book, but merely used as such, Chomsky already having granted general re-publication rights. The text of the essay is available here: Some Elementary Comments on The Rights of Freedom of Expression

in it, he discusses a petition he signed:

Quote:
Some time ago I was asked to sign a petition in defense of Robert Faurisson's "freedom of speech and expression." The petition said absolutely nothing about the character, quality or validity of his research, but restricted itself quite explicitly to a defense of elementary rights that are taken for granted in democratic societies, calling upon university and government officials to "do everything possible to ensure the [Faurisson's] safety and the free exercise of his legal rights." I signed it without hesitation.

but the petition described Faurisson's work as based on "extensive historical research," which contradicts Chomsky's disclaimer about "the character, quality or validity of his research." later on in the essay, he includes these comments:

Quote:
Putting this central issue aside, is it true that Faurisson is an anti-Semite or a neo-Nazi? As noted earlier, I do not know his work very well. But from what I have read -- largely as a result of the nature of the attacks on him -- I find no evidence to support either conclusion. Nor do I find credible evidence in the material that I have read concerning him, either in the public record or in private correspondence. As far as I can determine, he is a relatively apolitical liberal of some sort.

The "central issue" alluded to is freedom of expression. Clearly, for whatever reason, he did not restrict himself to the topic of free speech. since Chomsky can stray off topic, i hope i can indulge in a digression and point out that he also once quipped, "By now Jews in the US are the most privileged and influential part of the population." Comments like that make it difficult for me to accept his pronouncements at face value.
0 Replies