The Last Word: Noam Chomsky

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes genius, literally. Evil or Very Mad
© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.
© 2006 MSNBC.com

Translate this page

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Information Clearing House has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is Information Clearing House endorsed or sponsored by the originator.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,436 • Replies: 69
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:26 pm
We can only hope that this is the last word from Chomsky. He lost touch with reality decades ago.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:35 pm
That's about what I'd expect from an American. And that is precisely what the US media would LIKE you to think.

Who has lost touch with reality is the Americans.

The guy is quite active; writes books, (and sells a lot too) does lectures. Et tu?

What is your contribution to the world? Everyone knows Noam. Nobody knows YOU.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
Oh - forgot to add - you didn't debate anything he said, because it's true. Hard to debate the TRUTH eh.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
If Noam Chomsky got to popular they'd have to kill him but they don't have too because we all have a nice set of golden blinders.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:40 pm
Noam rules.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:45 pm
Yes, the American way is to discredit or marginalize certain people, like Noam, Vidal, M. Moore. It certainly is not in their (corp. America) best interests to have people take these outspoken folks seriously, is it?

I am sure there are some intelligent Americans left, but some of the posters on these forums seem a bit braindead. You, however, seem to have a handle on what's going on. Good for you. The idiots are having fun flapping their wings on the thread about Airstrips stepping up their bombing, and a few more of my posts. They have trouble with truth. Pretty sad if they think the rapture will save them. Bunch of silly fools! Meanwhile, how's the weather in SoCal?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:50 pm
Rainy last couple of days. Sunny today but not real sunny.

Are you an expatriate englishmajor?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
Well, if America is so hated then I would imagine the influx of immigrants here will soon become non-existent? I mean, why come here if you hate America, right? :wink:
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
As long as your government (plutocracy) is willing to sell your own country out from under you to the cheapest labourer the immigration will continue. It's called free market capitalism and you, me and America are the commodity. :wink:
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:15 am
Amigo wrote:
As long as your government (plutocracy) is willing to sell your own country out from under you to the cheapest labourer the immigration will continue. It's called free market capitalism and you, me and America are the commodity. :wink:

Laughing Big words, Amigo - now MoAn will have to flap her wings to her dictionary to see what plutocracy means.

But you are absolutely right, Amigo. The Mexicans/Hispanics (the largest immigration group) will continue to do the dirty work that the white folks don't want to do. I hope the Mex/Hispanics take Nevada/Arizona/New Mexico/Texas/Calif/parts of Colorado and Utah back some day. It'd be the right thing to do :wink:

Meanwhile Canada continues to pick and choose its immigrants (why there's only 31 million) but we have an amazing tossed salad of people from all over the world, and we all seem to get along. I do think living without fear is a major component......America thrives on it.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, if America is so hated then I would imagine the influx of immigrants here will soon become non-existent? I mean, why come here if you hate America, right? :wink:

anymore questions? your halo is slipping off BTW. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:20 am
Amigo wrote:
Rainy last couple of days. Sunny today but not real sunny.

Are you an expatriate englishmajor?

Yup. Very Happy And lovin' it!!
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:55 am
Re: The Last Word: Noam Chomsky
englishmajor wrote:

This is absolutely correct. That "virus" is called communism and should rightly be fought against. It has destroyed every country it has touched.

Quote:

This is horsesh!t. Which is it?? Was it to stop the spread of communism or to destroy vietnam??? Make up your mind Noam. But like I said, it was to combat communism. The idea that we simply wanted to destroy the country of Vietnam is nonsense.

Englishmajor, your self-righteous phony outrage is a joke.

BTW, you seem to be adamant about getting America to "wake up". Have you ever stopped to think that ridicule is probably the least effective way to get people to see your point? My guess is that you just enjoy the feeling of superiority you get from indiscriminately bashing all Americans. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
Momma Angel wrote:

A thoughtless argument. Presently, many Pakistanis are moving down from higher elevations in the mountains. Not because they desire to do so but because they may die where they presently live. Over the last few centuries, folks have moved from the small villages and farms where their families had lived for centuries not because they thought the cities a preferable place to live but because they hoped they might lessen poverty and starvation working in dismal factories seven days a week. Populations in Africa shift from some horrid region to another horrid region out of dire necessity and hope. Certainly, most of the inhabitants of Algiers in 1934 would have moved to Germany if they knew of the place and could get there. Emmigration hardly tells us much about peoples' destinations.

But in fact, America is a pretty great place, with a high level of freedom and safety and with the liklihood that folks coming in will be able to lead a better life than previously.

Unfortunately for the nationalist sorts about, that doesn't help you out much unless you want to head straight for a principle of moral relativism (we are better than nazi germany, so there).

By polls, the US is now considered strongly negative by most of the western world's populations. Wallow in your juvenile pridefulness if that feels all warm and nice but at least have the fukking prudence to fathom how this decline has consequences.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
And by the by, Chomsky's notion of why the US is in Iraq is surely correct. Industrialized nations have been seriously mucking about in the Middle East rather than in Australia or Greenland or Switzerland because of petroleum. There is a realist argument to be made for US involvement in the region but that argument presently has an overlay of three pounds of bullshit.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
Yes, I had to look up plutocracy. So? I don't know everything. I don't have all the answers. If I don't know something, I look it up. Seems rather logical, reasonable, and maybe even intelligent for anyone to do that. So, insult away. Rolling Eyes

Obviously, my immigrant statement was a bit misunderstood. If people hate America so very much why do they fight so hard to enter her boarders and make a new life here? Guess it has nothing to do with freedom from some of the things they are oppressed by Idea

It's true, I admit, that there are those that hate America and Americans. Englishmajor, there is at least one, right? :wink: My point is, if we are hated as much as you seem to believe we are, I would imagine people will stop wanting to come here.

And BTW, I don't wear a halo. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
Mama Angel wrote:
If people hate America so very much why do they fight so hard to enter her boarders

Maybe because the boarders are really hot.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:19 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mama Angel wrote:
If people hate America so very much why do they fight so hard to enter her boarders

Maybe because the boarders are really hot.

Gus,

Maybe. You never know about some people do you? Very Happy

You doing okay today?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:20 am
the boarders seem to keep to themselves except at dinner time.
0 Replies