How dangerous is the Bush administration?

McGentrix

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm
I heard Eliot Weinberger like to bugger sheep.

I heard that many liberals around the world don't like George Bush.

I heard that many liberals like to believe the worse about George Bush and American foriegn policy.

I heard that many liberals will believe anything they read that defames American foriegn policy and George Bush.

I heard that Iraq is now a fledgling democracy with a freely elected government.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm
"No neocon has opened his or her mouth without the poet Eliot Weinberger hearing it and never forgetting or forgiving."

-The Times of London
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:04 pm
walter

That's a lovely quote! As I read the piece, it began to feel as if I were in an avalanche. Encyclopedic indictment.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I heard Eliot Weinberger like to bugger sheep.

I heard that many liberals around the world don't like George Bush.

I heard that many liberals like to believe the worse about George Bush and American foriegn policy.

I heard that many liberals will believe anything they read that defames American foriegn policy and George Bush.

I heard that Iraq is now a fledgling democracy with a freely elected government.

The difference McG is I can google everyone of the things in the posted article and find them from a valid news source.

Your statements don't seem to work the same. I can't find any source to verify the first item on your list. Lets start there before we move on to the second.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:23 pm
Quote:
In 2005 I heard that Coalition forces were camped in the ruins of Babylon. I heard that bulldozers had dug trenches through the site and cleared areas for helicopter landing pads and parking lots, that thousands of sandbags had been filled with dirt and archaeological fragments, that a 2600-year-old brick pavement had been crushed by tanks, and that the moulded bricks of dragons had been gouged out from the Ishtar Gate by soldiers collecting souvenirs. I heard that the ruins of the Sumerian cities of Umma, Umm al-Akareb, Larsa and Tello were completely destroyed and were now landscapes of craters.

Quote:
Maev Kennedy
Saturday January 15, 2005
The Guardian

Iraqi authorities will today take back responsibility for the site of Babylon in a formal handover from the coalition forces. But what they will inherit, say experts, is a catalogue of disasters. According to the report of the British Museum's John Curtis, the site has been severely contaminated and parts have been irreparably damaged.
The report details:

· damage to the dragons decorating the Ishtar Gate, one of the world's most famous monuments, from attempts to prise out the relief-moulded bricks

· broken bricks inscribed with the name of Nebuchadnezzar lying in spoil heaps

· the original brick surface of the great processional route through the gate crushed by military vehicles

· fuel seeping from tanks into archaeological layers

· acres of the site levelled, covered with imported gravel - which Dr Curtis said would be impossible to remove without causing further damage - and sprayed with chemicals which are also seeping into the unexcavated buried deposits

· thousands of tonnes of archaeological material used to fill sandbags and mesh crates, and equally damaging, when that practice stopped, thousands more tonnes of material imported from outside the site, contaminating the site for archaeologists forever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1391085,00.html

Quote:
The picture there is appalling. More than 150 Sumerian cities dating back to the fourth millennium BC - such as Umma, Umm al-Akkareb, Larsa and Tello - lie destroyed, turned into crater-filled landscapes of shredded pottery and broken bricks.

If properly excavated, these cities - covering an estimated 20 sq km - could help us learn about the development of the human race.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4461755.stm

The source for your slur about Eliot Weingberger can be found at what news outlet McG?

I am guessing that you can't find a single thing "heard" in the first piece that was not reported by a major news source.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
Recall when the Taliban in Afghanistan destroyed the Buddhist statues. The stupid barbarism of it made one want to just strangle the bastards.

http://images.usatoday.com/news/science/archaeology/photos/2001-03-22-buddha2.jpg

But the reality is that US war and occupation in Iraq has produced damage to our archaeological heritage many many multiples greater than what the Taliban did. And that has been simply because the D of D simply did not and does not give a ****. Archaeologists and curators had been in touch with the D of D for months before the war began, providing information on sites of importance, particular the Museum of Antiquities. The D of D had promised to protect it. They didn't. The absolutely irreplaceable collection was decimated even while the D of D secured the fukking oil ministry. That's precisely when I began to really hate these bastards.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 04:00 pm
Blatham,

Don't you know? Fox news told us that nothing was stolen from the museums in Iraq.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
Blatham. That's a load of crap. A big steaming load at that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:33 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Blatham. That's a load of crap. A big steaming load at that.

You would know a steaming load of crap McG considering the big steaming pile you left at the top of the page.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
yes indeed, McG knows his crap, but then, I know my crap (which doesn't stink)
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:28 am
McGentrix says Blatham's post is a load of crap. Are you surprised, McGentrix? Blotham is notorious for making things up as he goes. He generalizes more than the most addled headed high school sophomore.

I do not think that Blotham can produce any reliable evidence that "the US war and occupation has produced damage to our archeological heritage many multiples greater than what the Taliban did"

The "many multiples greater"is a laugher and a typical Blotham exaggeration. How many multiples greater? Who says so? What are the specific pieces of "archeological heritage that the US can be proven to have destroyed PURPOSELY AND WITH INTENT?

Blotham should really reserve his rancor for the damage done by American bombers to the Archeology of Germany and Italy by American bombers and invasion.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
mortkat, attacking the poster is not good debating. All one has to do is to prove him wrong.
After the wholesale destruction of ancient treasures it is not easy to claim the innocence of the invading troops.
Where Iraq is now, there was once the cradle of civilization. It is sad indeed that so many ancient treasures we stolen or destroyed, while at the same time the oil ministry was protected with great efficiency.
It seems that countries with a short history don't appreciate the treasures of centuries gone by. Dresden was one example.

http://www.marchforjustice.com/id293.htm

http://users.ox.ac.uk/%7Ewolf0126/bombed.html

http://www.h-net.org/~museum/iraq.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:12 am
(Mortkat must you continue to call Blatham that silly name you've invented? I don't see the point. It's not funny or clever.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:16 am
I believe it to be EXTREMELY easy to claim innocence as not one American soldier or bomb hit the museum. It was looted by Iraqi's.

Trying to compare the looting of a museum by locals (and blaming American and coalition forces for the actions of the locals) with the blatant destruction of the statuary in Afghanistan is worthless. It invokes the emotions of those here who like to shout about the evils of America, nothing more.

That's why it was a load of crap.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:17 am
msolga wrote:
(Mortkat must you continue to call Blatham that silly name you've invented? I don't see the point. It's not funny or clever.)

It's odd that I've not seen one single request for people to stop butchering Morkat's name as it has been time after time...

Huh. Odd...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
(Haven't seen that, McGentrix. Guess I don't visit the right threads. Anyway, I don't want to side-track the discussion. Please continue ....)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
The London Review of Books is a very prestigious and influential periodical.

I have been criticised elsewhere for suggesting that this current US Administration is presiding over a nadir in the history western civilisation. Anyone who read the LRB report with open eyes would surely tend to that view.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
msolga wrote:

Word of advice guys...just ignore the fellow.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:03 am
McGentrix wrote:
msolga wrote:

It's odd that I've not seen one single request for people to stop butchering Morkat's name as it has been time after time...

Huh. Odd...

But blatham, to his credit, has managed to maintain a single identity during his participation in A2K. The same cannot be said for Italomortochiczagatto.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:08 am
BBB
blatham wrote:
msolga wrote:

Word of advice guys...just ignore the fellow.

What Mortkat has not been smart enough to figure out is how silly he/she comes across on A2K. The reaction to his/her post is mostly mocking laughter. While he/she compulsively tries to put others down to elevate his/her own intellectual prowess, the result only emphasizes a profound lack of knowledge on a wide range of subjects.

Mortkat has a lot to learn to avoid being considered A2K's comical fool.

BBB
0 Replies