How dangerous is the Bush administration?

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
phoenix

That's ok. Look where sturgis and brandon are forever splatted.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
The Bush defenders (deniers) never cease to amaze me. It's always "shoot the messenger" or these are merely inuendos.

Christ people, at what point in time do you ask yourself; maybe there is something to these accusations.......? Hell, the volume of the accusations alone should make it easy for someone to check out a few.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:36 pm
In answer to the question of this thread, how dangerous is Bush, the answer is pretty simple, he is not dangerous at all, unless you are a terrorist or a ruthless dictator.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
I've heard that soldiers are being conscripted into the propaganda effort and instructed precisely as to what they will say...

Quote:
Pentagon propaganda program orders soldiers to promote Iraq war while home on leave
By DOUG THOMPSON
Publisher, Capitol Hill Blue
Dec 29, 2005, 05:44

Good soldiers follow orders and hundreds of American military men and women returned to the United States on holiday leave this month with orders to sell the Iraq war to a skeptical public.

The program, coordinated through a Pentagon operation dubbed "Operation Homefront," ordered military personnel to give interviews to their hometown newspapers, television stations and other media outlets and praise the American war effort in Iraq.

Initial reports back to the Pentagon deem the operation a success with dozens of front page stories in daily and weekly newspapers around the country along with upbeat reports on local television stations.

"We've learned as a military how to do this better," Captain David Diaz, a military reservist, told his hometown paper, The Roanoke (VA) Times. "My worry is that we have the right military strategy and political strategies now but the patience of the American public is wearing thin."

When pressed by the paper on whether or not his commanding officers told him to talk to the press, Diaz admitted he was "encouraged" to do so. So reporter Duncan Adams asked:

"Did Diaz return to the U.S. on emergency leave with an agenda -- to offer a positive spin that could help counter growing concerns among Americans about the U.S. exit strategy? How do we know that's not his strategy, especially after he discloses that superior officers encouraged him to talk about his experiences in Iraq?"

Replied Diaz:

"You don't. I can tell you that the direction we've gotten from on high is that there is a concern about public opinion out there and they want to set the record straight."

Diaz, an intelligence officer, knows how to avoid a direct answer. Other military personnel, however, tell Capitol Hill Blue privately that the pressure to "sell the war" back home is enormous.

"I've been promised an early release if I do a good job promoting the war," says one reservist who asked not to be identified.

In interviews with a number of reservists home for the holidays, a pattern emerges on the Pentagon's propaganda effort. Soldiers are encouraged to contact their local news media outlets to offer interviews about the war. A detailed set of talking points encourages them to:
--Admit initial doubts about the war but claim conversion to a belief in the American mission;

--Praise military leadership in Iraq and throw in a few words of support for the Bush administration;

--Claim the mission to turn security of the country over to the Iraqis is working;

--Reiterate that America must not abandon its mission and must stay until the "job is finished."

--Talk about how "things are better" now in Iraq.
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7918.shtml
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
He is a stealth dictator getting the tools from his poppy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:21 pm
blatham wrote:
Sorry boys, but that piece wasn't intended for you or any of the others here who would find excuse for this administration if it got photographed fukking a sheep (unless, of course, that sheep was of the same gender).

It is intended for everyone else to read, then forward as broadly as possible.

But your 'intentions' do not govern the actions of others. They are free to criticize both your evident intentions and the merits of the piece you posted. I realize that may be hard for you to accept, but they are as free to reject your beliefs as you are to advance them.

I detect a self-righteous indignation and intolerance in your recent posts that makes me glad you are not in government - at least in this country.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:25 pm
Stuff is checking out so far as I search....some, of course, comes down to opinion...but that would be expected.

I was stunned to read the Babylon stuff, which appears to come from a British Museum inspection.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:07 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Sorry boys, but that piece wasn't intended for you or any of the others here who would find excuse for this administration if it got photographed fukking a sheep (unless, of course, that sheep was of the same gender).

It is intended for everyone else to read, then forward as broadly as possible.

But your 'intentions' do not govern the actions of others. They are free to criticize both your evident intentions and the merits of the piece you posted. I realize that may be hard for you to accept, but they are as free to reject your beliefs as you are to advance them.

I detect a self-righteous indignation and intolerance in your recent posts that makes me glad you are not in government - at least in this country.

And my next post, following another from sturgis, says:
Quote:
I'm not interested in agreement of lack of it. Obviously, people will go on to read it (or not, as the case with you) then say something here. That's fine. Those who read it, find it compelling, then send it on to others on their email lists...that's the idea.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:00 pm
Any American who read this very long list and believed what it said, would be ashamed of his administration.

If he would believe half of what he read, he would be ashamed as well.

If he would believe a quarter of what he read, he still would be ashamed of his administration.

It is up to all Bush supporters to prove the list wrong, a worthwhile project.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:07 pm
I certainly would be quite ashamed if I believed the central implications of the piece in question. Only the author can tell us the truth about "what he learned", or just what he means by all that. Only a fool or the already persuaded would accept his implications whole hog.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:53 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I certainly would be quite ashamed if I believed the central implications of the piece in question. Only the author can tell us the truth about "what he learned", or just what he means by all that. Only a fool or the already persuaded would accept his implications whole hog.

Interesting thought. Could you please, george, state those "implications" for us.

Now, I'll give you some latitude here because you and I both know you read a maximum of ten or so paragraphs only (well, I don't 'know' that, so correct me if needed...I'll wait to hear). But of course you will have to tie your conclusion of "implication" to something said. Of course, we can then also verify whether the writer's statement you refer to is accurate; eg, did Rumsfeld say 'x'?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:44 am
georgeob1 wrote:

What is your point george? You aren't being clear at all. Is the author innaccurate? Does he cherry pick his facts? What precisely are you trying to say?
Wouldn't it be difficult to accept the implications whole hog if the author isn't clear with his intent? Your argument doesnt' make much sense at all. You can't tell what he means but only a fool would accept what he means. That doesn't make any sense at all. It appears you can't argue that any of the statements he makes are false so are attacking him by throwing out contradictory accusations.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
Quote:

I heard Donald Rumsfeld admit he is mindless.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:03 am
That group of incompetents is stumbling from one mistake to another, making dozens of speeches that are not very clear to anyone.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
Quote:
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against those hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."
GW Bush, Sept 17, 2004
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against those hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."
GW Bush, Sept 17, 2004

would that include a Stetson?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:56 am
Clearly it would.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
Here's a fun one...

Chalabi, who received insufficient votes to become part of the government has just been placed back in the Oil Minister position following the enforced removal of the previous fellow. This placement is supposed to be temporary (one month). Any bets on this?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:56 am
Re: How dangerous is the Bush administration?
blatham wrote:
Read the following piece from the London Review of Books. Then mail it off to your friends and anyone else who you think ought to read it. It is an extraordinary indictment.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n01/print/wein01_.html

I've already e-mail a friend with the URL for the article. Thanks for posting it, Blatham.

Unfortunately, the article is long and it exceeds the attention span of most Bush chauvinists who will not be inclined to read it. They might read one or two paragraphs, then lapse into their compulsive Bush defense mode of attack.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
How much does the Bush administration cherish each and every life (while disregarding the frivilous, like polls)?

Quote:
The New Coalition of the Willing
Private security firms in Iraq are hiring an increasing number of ex-guerrillas and soldiers from Colombia, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Chile. A recent ad on Iraqijobcenter.com, for example, offered the services of "a thousand Colombian combat-trained ex-soldiers and policemen" for security work in Iraq. This year, U.S. security firm Halliburton employed Colombians to protect oil installations in several Iraqi cities. Blackwater, another private security firm, has had a group of soldiers who once served for Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet on the payroll. Recruits often come from militaries known for human rights abuses or paramilitaries with ties to narcotrafficking. So why are U.S. contractors hiring Latin American mercenaries? "If a contractor is killed," says Peter Singer, an expert on private military firms at the Brookings Institution, "it is less likely to make the news [than if it's a U.S. soldier]. If it's a contractor from another country, it is even less likely."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3315
0 Replies