Germans To Put Muslims Through "Loyalty" Test---WTF?

Lash

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 02:41 pm
Very interesting.

CJ-- Germany isn't the only country to have "problems with Muslims". Is it really OK for Germany, but not the US? How do you justify that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
Lash wrote:

CJ-- Germany isn't the only country to have "problems with Muslims".

Depends, how you define 'problems with Muslims'.
We aren't at war with them (until today, at least), like others.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:15 pm
Lash, what are you asking by "is it really okay for Germany, but not the US"? To address the problems with Muslims?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
This bye-law isn't published yet, btw (last changes on the relevant website are from 04.11.05 - nothing on them about what is talked here).

[For CJ and others, who can read German: Einbürgerung BW]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:37 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Lash, what are you asking by "is it really okay for Germany, but not the US"? To address the problems with Muslims?

This is clearly discrimination. Why don't they give everyone a loyalty test? And, I can imagine the hue and cry if we were to do the same thing.

If it's wrong for one country, it's wrong for all.

And, yes, I think it's wrong. Walter says Germany "isn't at war" with Muslims... Neither are we. Yet, Germany is openly discriminating against them....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
Lash wrote:

And, yes, I think it's wrong. Walter says Germany "isn't at war" with Muslims... Neither are we. Yet, Germany is openly discriminating against them....

Now, just show my - either from your own source or from what I wrote that Germany is openly discriminating against them.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
I said that part.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:45 pm
Lash wrote:
I said that part.

Didn't I quote you correctly?

Quote:
This is clearly discrimination. Why don't they give everyone a loyalty test? And, I can imagine the hue and cry if we were to do the same thing.

If it's wrong for one country, it's wrong for all.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
Quote:
Germany | 31.12.2005

German State to Question Muslim Immigrants on Views

A German state has said that Muslims applying to immigrate will be singled out for tougher questioning from Jan. 1, in a decision blasted in Berlin as discriminatory.

The interior ministry of the southern state of Baden-Württemberg said in a statement on Friday that Muslim potential immigrants would face a lengthy interrogation including 30 questions on applicants' political and cultural views. Subjects would include their opinions on equal rights for men and women, religions freedom, honor killings and the attacks in the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

The ministry said that Germany's 16 federal states must be permitted to learn whether potential new citizens truly accept the country's Basic Law, to which they are required under federal law to deliver an oath.

"There have been findings that Muslims can face a conflict and deliver an oath that does not correspond with their personal beliefs and thus does not fulfill the immigration requirements," the statement said. "Eliminating these doubts is the aim of a conversation that the immigration authorities will conduct with immigration applicants from Jan. 1, 2006 from the 57 states that belong to the Islamic conference (some 60 percent of all immigrants to Baden-Württemberg in 2004)."

Rule of law vs. Islam?

It added that other applicants who are "known to be" Muslims would face the line of questioning, as would any people whose oath did not appear to be credible. The statement said that while most Muslims accepted the German system, recent "honor killings" of Muslim women in Germany by family members were evidence of a conflict between the rule of law and an interpretation of Islam.

Berlin Interior Minister Ehrhart Körting said that he understood his counterpart Heribert Rech's concerns about integration of Muslims but slammed the policy for fostering prejudice.

"That is a serious danger to internal security and intolerable," he said.

Germany's states are given a wide berth to determine their own immigration and security policies under the federal system.
Source
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
That sure looks like discrimination.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:59 pm
In Baden-Württemberg, yes, indeed. They are paddling back now to insure that it isn't.

But, they really could have used then the bye-laws as they were and as done in all the other 15 states.

http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/adressen/bl/de-bw.gif
Baden-Württemberg
Area: 35751 km²
Population: 10.0 million
Capital: Stuttgart
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:08 pm
Germany as well as most of the nations of Western Europe are facing what is for them a larger scale of immigration than they have ever seen. This is exacerbaded by the ageing and declining native populations, and the much higher standards of living that prevail in Western Europe, compared to Eastern Europe, Northern Africa, and the Middle East. It is only natural for such processes to create social and economic tensions. No one is entirely free of this, including the United States.

The government actions beoing cited here are well within the normal and reasonable range of possibilities for free and democratic states. In many cases even the worst of these restrictions are far less onerous than would be the case for Germans attempting to migrate to the countries which these people left. I don't believe that any of us have the standing to criticize Germany or other European nations for their attempts to manage these issues.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
The government actions beoing cited here are well within the normal and reasonable range of possibilities ...

They are against our constitution FullStop
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
I think Walter is saying that accusations that GERMANY (ie the whole country) is discriminating against Muslims are inaccurate...but that accusations that Baden-Württemberg is discriminating against them ARE accurate.

It seems that the federal government is condemning the state's actions, Walter...can they affect the new rules made by Baden-Württemberg?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
If so, I'm confident the matter will be resolved in your courts. Any reason to believe otherwise??
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
Not really. But we must have the first Muslim, who is singled out according to that bye-law and then he can go to the Federal Constitutional Court.

Or, some other states (what is happening just now) and/or the Federal Government use their influence.

Besides that, Baden-Würtemberg is not only the roots of German liberalism but people there are still proud of it. So, might well be that the state government rethinks its doing things for the sake of doing things.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

They are against our constitution FullStop

Clearly some people, at least in Baden-Wurttemburg, disagree.

Quote:
But we must have the first Muslim, who is singled out according to that bye-law and then he can go to the Federal Constitutional Court.
Which is my point.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Which is my point.

Hmm. And that wont be easy. (Says someone, who won one case at that court. The second - thought to be nearly identical - wasn't even accepted for a ruling. [I wasn't there personally nor did my name show off besides in "et. al." :wink: ]
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:34 pm
Ok by me Walter. As a German citizen this issue is yours to deal with as you wish. I just don't believe the problem here rises to the level at which it should be the subject of criticism by the people of other countries which have no direct involvement in the matter, and which have their own equivalent (or worse) problems
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:37 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
If all immigrants have to take the same test, then I think it's ok. If it's given only to musliims, then it is discriminatory.

yup.

a soverign nation has the right to allow or deny entry to any and all immigrants.

to me, the scenario becomes much clearer when i think about it in terms of who i will, or will not, allow into my home.

btw, how's the new pond, ducks ?

Hiya, DTOM. The water's fine in the new pond.

The reason why I say it should not be applied to just Muslims is that I can imagine fundamentalists of any religion giving unsatisfactory answers to such questions.......If they are only concerned with fundamentalist Islam, well, that's something different.

absolutely.

this, like communism during the cold war and the anarchists of the late 1800s / early 1900s, is a very tough row to hoe. more so because of the religious component. people of good will don't tend to judge others solely on their religion.

that said, it is true that there are fundimentalist zealots in all religions that don't seem to bear much in the way of good will and use another's differing spiritual beliefs as the only test of moral viability. in some cases, we know that that sensibility extends to the test of whether or not someone of another belief deserves to live.

not a good thing, to me.

unfortunately, the islamic fundis fall into that column.

so now we are left with only a few options, none of which are particularly natural to an open and free society.

do we simply stop all immigration ? become a nation (world?) of xenophobes?

do we attack every nation that has religious fundimentalists zealots? careful, this could be a tricky question Very Happy

do we scrutinize only potential immigrants that fit the profile most likely to be an islamic fundi radical ?

or, do we cast a suspicious eye on everyone ?

fairness tells me that we should maybe take a discriminating look at everyone who wishes to enter. and yet, parodoxically, it seems unfair to grill the daylights out of someone who is much less likely to be, in this case, an islamic radical.

but even that view leaves us unsure of a person's intent. there's no way of knowing what a person is really thinking, is there ?

any ideas ?
0 Replies