ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Gotta agree with you hephzibah. Neo nailed it!

I know, I was quite proud of neo too. :wink: Cool
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:33 am
(I can't believe I'm doing this...)

Setanta!! Come back!!!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:39 am
echi wrote:
(I can't believe I'm doing this...)

Setanta!! Come back!!!

LOL echi!
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:39 am
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

This is an easy one, Dok! I'd be scared to bloody death if I ever ran into an alien!

Nope, sorry. Might work for your definition, life, etc., but it doesn't fly in mine.

I have NO fear whatsoever of God. He loves me. I love Him. He wants only what is good and right for me. So, fear?! Ha!

So you have no 'reverential awe' of god?
And what YOU would do or feel in a specific situation is of no relevance whatsoever. What of the alien believer that has no fear of aliens whatsoever, but believes them benevolant saviors of mankind and believes with all his heart aliens are REAL.
Is this man faithful or superstitious?

aliens are demons.

I know you don't believe that, or were you even addressing me, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in, as always.

Razz
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:42 am
Quote:

aliens are demons.

Strangely enough, there is a sect of devil worshippers out there that believe this same thing.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:49 am
Cut it out, Dok. You'll give 'em nightmares.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:03 am
Doktor S wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Doktor S,

Ok, let me rephrase. You said believe nothing (my bad.http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/168.gif Thought you meant in nothing.)

So, you don't believe yourself Question You don't believe your friends Question You don't believe science Question You don't believe the dictionary Question

Or aren't they part of the nothing you don't believe?http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/533.gif

Explain to me why my signature line is relevant to this conversation, and then I may start adressing questions about it.
I answered Neo that quick one cause..well..I like Neo.

awww...he DOES believe in something momma angel...

neo

aint that cute?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:07 am
As I mentioned before, I am a social darwinist..I judge others by their actions, and treat them accordingly. tent.

I am of the opinion that neo (the man behind the machine) probably exists, but I don't 'believe in neo'
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:20 am
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

aliens are demons.

Strangely enough, there is a sect of devil worshippers out there that believe this same thing.

Are you implying I'm one of them?

Or just implying...

Or plowing perhaps...

or 2-ply.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:27 am
Ok, since we're a bit off the topic here I need to ask something... Can anyone tell me is Setanta a real word? If so, what does it mean?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:34 am
Oh yeah, he's that guy who can't stand Christians.

Hope that clears things up a bit, lol.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:57 am
Re: ACTING IN GOOD FAITH
Setanta wrote:
Answers-dot-com wrote:
faith (fāth) n.

1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See synonyms at belief, trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.

su·per·sti·tion (sū'pər-stĭsh'ən) n.

1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
1. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
2. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.
3. Idolatry.

(emphasis added in both definitions)

Source for definition of faith

Source for definition of superstition

Among the pushing type of christians at this site, it is asserted that their faith is something special, and that they are entitled to a special consideration on the basis of the importance of their faith to themselves. I say that this is nonsense, that their faith is indistinguishable from superstition, and is entitled to no more consideration than is a belief in astrological signs, lucky rabbits' feet or any other number of unfounded desires asserted to be truth.

For the sake of discussing any alleged distinction between faith and superstition, i intend to ignore any definitions which are not provided in full as i have done above, and provided without a link, so that they may be examined. Posting a portion of a definition without the full definition and without a link by which the definition can be examined will more than likely constitute an attempt to extract a portion of a definition as a basis for one's argument, without leaving the remainder available for someone else's contention in refutation.

I have referred to specific portions of the definitions given above, by adding emphasis. I have also provided the full definitions and links to the definition pages so that anyone else may attempt to deny the case i'm making.
I would like to argue the point, but I would find it very difficult, if not impossible, plus I agree with you. I guess I could argue it just to see how far I can get, and that might be fun. Tell you what, why don't we start a thread with a similar premise but invite people of like minded ilk to take opposing arguments and have some fun! I will unabashedly take a religionist perspective despite it not sitting well with me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

aliens are demons.

As an aside. The bible speaks of those angels who forsook their heavenly places in the time of the flood. Many recognize those as demons.

Further, the issues raised on this planet in the Garden of Eden are so important to the order of the universe that they deserve to be worked out without interference. There are Satan and his conscripts, both spiritual and earthly, on the one side espousing the rebellion. And on the other you have God and the angels assisted on earth by a few bumbling humans preaching the "good news".

Were there beings from other planets, their visits to earth would constitute a fly in the soup, so to speak. So any 'extraterrestrial experiences' we may learn of would necessarily have to be demon related.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
Doktor S wrote:
As I mentioned before, I am a social darwinist..I judge others by their actions, and treat them accordingly. tent.

I am of the opinion that neo (the man behind the machine) probably exists, but I don't 'believe in neo'
Wait while I pinch myself.

> Ow

>OUCH!

Yes I am me.

And I believe in you, Doc. But I don't put faith in you. Let's have a beer, OK? Well, it's morning here. . .Starbucks?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
hephzibah wrote:
Ok, since we're a bit off the topic here I need to ask something... Can anyone tell me is Setanta a real word? If so, what does it mean?
Give him a Google and see what comes up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Intrepid wrote:
Belief in one God is the corner stone of all religions.

Tell that to the Hindus. Tell that to the Animists.

Quote:
Superstition is the irrational belief in anything and everything. We are talking about faith in God which is not just anything, but we do consider it everything. Superstition is being afraid to walk under a ladder, or not going anyplace without the lucky charm in your pocket. Belief in God may not be anything more than superstition to those who choose to mock and attempt to reduce one's faith to something less than acceptable. The faithful do not have to prove anything to anybody. If the non-believers want to refute faith in God... let them prove that He does not exist.

It is refreshing to see you actually address the topic as opposed to hurling dirt at other members. However, you fail to make your case. No definition which has been posted and linked here agrees with your contention that "superstition is the irrational belief in anything and everything." If you don't feel you have to prove anything, why are you in this debate? If you can prove a rational basis for believing in a deity, that will just be step one. That you have to defend that homicidal maniac in the old testament. That will be necessary before proceeding to the idiocies of the new testament.

Absent your ability to point to god and say: "See, there she is."--you are the one making an extraordinary claim. You have the burden of proof, no one is obliged to disprove extravagent and unproven claims.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
hephzibah wrote:

Here is the legend of Cu Chulainn, who was originally named Setanta. The name means "path finder." There is an hilarious passage written by an Irish monk about a thousand years ago, in which Cu Chulainn and the King and all their buddies get drunk, and then get lost--for a week. That's an inside joke by the monk based upon the name Setanta--Pathfinder.

I linked a page on the legend for school children because it would take pages to truly lay out the entire story. That passage is good enough. So yes, the name is real, but it derives from legend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
I'm the other one wrote:
Oh yeah, he's that guy who can't stand Christians.

Hope that clears things up a bit, lol.

Horsie poop . . . it's a particular type of christian who turns my stomach . . . and i'll leave it at that . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
By the way, Miss Eppie, the sport mentioned in that link--hurly (i've never heard an Irishman say "hurling") is wonderfully expressive of the Irish character. You have two teams, seventeen men on a side, one baseball, and everyone carries a bat, a cross between a baseball bat and a hocky stick. Most of the Gaelic Athlectic Association photos of famous Hurly players show men with a lot of missing teeth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:45 am
neologist wrote:
As an aside. The bible speaks of those angels who forsook their heavenly places in the time of the flood. Many recognize those as demons.

Further, the issues raised on this planet in the Garden of Eden are so important to the order of the universe that they deserve to be worked out without interference. There are Satan and his conscripts, both spiritual and earthly, on the one side espousing the rebellion. And on the other you have God and the angels assisted on earth by a few bumbling humans preaching the "good news".

Were there beings from other planets, their visits to earth would constitute a fly in the soup, so to speak. So any 'extraterrestrial experiences' we may learn of would necessarily have to be demon related.

This is some of the worst drivel you've ever posted, Boss, and that is quite an accomplishment.
0 Replies