ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:52 pm
I don't control C.I., so why don't you try to boss somebody else around.

I've already pointed out that your argument is bankrupt because fear is not a necessary component of superstition.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
I don't control C.I., so why don't you try to boss somebody else around.

I've already pointed out that your argument is bankrupt because fear is not a necessary component of superstition.

And I have already pointed out to you, as have others, that faith is not a superstition TO US. So, if it is to you, then it is to you.

Sounds like a good place to agree to disagree, don't you think? :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
No, because it is crucial to identify the character of your imaginary friend superstition when rejecting your special pleading to the effect that your superstition be sacrosanct and exempt from criticism and/or ridicule. When combined with your contradictory stances on the meaning of scripture and other examples of your hypocricy, your special pleading makes your "contribution" to this site particularly obnoxious.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, because it is crucial to identify the character of your imaginary friend superstition when rejecting your special pleading to the effect that your superstition be sacrosanct and exempt from criticism and/or ridicule. When combined with your contradictory stances on the meaning of scripture and other examples of your hypocricy, your special pleading makes your "contribution" to this site particularly obnoxious.

Well, I conceded this challenge to Timber. If you want to keep arguing it, that's up to you. It's one thing to you and others. It's something else to me and others.

I will never agree for myself that it is superstition and I highly doubt you will ever agree for yourself that it is faith. So, PERSONALLY, I agree to disagree. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:00 pm
I agree that it is faith, i just don't agree that there is any substantive difference between faith and superstition. For the purposes of religious mumbo-jumbo, they are identical. If you didn't want to argue this point, why did you come here? I suspect the answer is so that you could sling mud at those with whom you disagree, another example of the hypocrical character of what you write here, as someone claiming to be imbued with christian virtue.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
I agree that it is faith, i just don't agree that there is any substantive difference between faith and superstition. For the purposes of religious mumbo-jumbo, they are identical. If you didn't want to argue this point, why did you come here? I suspect the answer is so that you could sling mud at those with whom you disagree, another example of the hypocrical character of what you write here, as someone claiming to be imbued with christian virtue.

Uh, no. I came here to throw in my 2 Cents worth and my opinion. Same as everyone else I would imagine.

Mud? Who's slinging mud? I don't see no stinkin mud! Oh wait.........I NEED TO DUCK! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:06 pm
You've been in this thread now for pages and pages. You drop your idiotic arguments in when you think you can get away with it, but when anyone presents a serious challenge to the BS you peddle, you just fall back on your standard idiotic ploy of "well, that's just what i believe." It is, in fact, clear that you arrived in this thread when its character was that of a civil discussion, and with your hypocritical christian partners in crime, began to make personal slurs against the participants. You did this long before you offered an "opinion."

When you do offer your opinion, and it is an expression of idiocy, you can expect to have it characterized as idiotic.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
your hypocritical christian partners in crime

There has been a crime perpetrated? It sounds as if a gang of thugs has committed some ghastly crime in the neighbourhood. We need names. We gotta round up a posse and set them no goods straight. I am glad that you are on top of this, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:33 pm
Your attempts at sarcastic humor are as pathetic and feeble as your exegesis . . . which doesn't surprise me . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:38 pm
Why do you think it is meant as sarcastic humour? Yes, it was meant as humour, but no sarcasm was implied nor intended. You really are free with that word pathetic. In truth, I guess that response does not surprise me either. You must be a hoot at social gatherings.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:39 pm
Well, ok. Could you point out to me where I did that? If I did that, I would be more than willing to admit it and apologize for it.

Question Set, do you ever use Christian (Christianity, belief, etc.) without any kind of derogatory remark? Just curious. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:43 pm
One the first page of the thread, you came in to laugh and tell us all how amusing and that it was the funniest thing i'd ever done. You have only jumped in to make oblique remarks about arguments others have presented and defending many, many pages after the thread began. When challenged on your contributions, you fall back on your standard "well, that's just what i believe," and then claim you have no interest in the discussion. If you have no interest, why are you still in this thread.

Keep your smug questions to yourself, i am not subject to your witless interrogation.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the way, Miss Eppie, the sport mentioned in that link--hurly (i've never heard an Irishman say "hurling") is wonderfully expressive of the Irish character. You have two teams, seventeen men on a side, one baseball, and everyone carries a bat, a cross between a baseball bat and a hocky stick. Most of the Gaelic Athlectic Association photos of famous Hurly players show men with a lot of missing teeth.

Here's an action shot:

http://tinypic.com/jsgk2h.jpg

Both teams are made up of 15 players. Many of them, as Setanta pointed out, require frequent dental intervention.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
There is not enough money in the world to get me out on the field, but it is quite a show for the spectator.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
Road bowling is interesting, too, but i often wondered if a game was ever completed . . .
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:40 pm
Just for you, Setanta, here's a pic of a modern Irish hurling (yes, we do say hurling here) legend.

It's Setanta O'Hailpin (pronounced "halpeen").

An Irish commentator once said of him:
"His father is from Fermanagh, his mother is from Fiji. Neither of them hurling strongholds." So true.

http://tinypic.com/jshysk.jpg

Know nothing 'bout road bowling, other than it seems to be the preserve of the bookie and the priest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
Well, when i briefly lived in the west country, in Sligo, those who mentioned the subject at all said "hurly" . . . i don't recall discussing the topic on those occasions when i visited Dublin and Cork . . .
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, when i briefly lived in the west country, in Sligo, . . .

Lovely part of the country, Sligo.

I took an ex of mine to Galway once, with the intention of, in the words of the song, "watch the sun go down o'er Galway Bay."

It rained the entire bloody week-end..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:27 pm
That ought not to have been unexpected. I worked for a house painter. In the summer of 1978, we had 54 consecutive days with measurable amounts of rain. Still and all, it is beautiful country. We used often to drive by Yeats' Lake Inisfree on the way to a job site. My friend and i walked up to the top of Ben Bulben one day, and when we arrived, and as we enjoyed the wonderful view, i was astonished to learn that although he'd been born and raised in Sligo-town, he'd never been up Ben Bulben before.

I've been thrown out of all the best pubs in County Sligo . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:28 pm
Do you ever "P45?"
0 Replies