ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

kickycan

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
I have faith that this thread will spiral downwards.

You were right! You must be a prophet!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
kickycan wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

Kickycan!

How nice to see you! It's been awhile. I hope you have been well!

Happy New Year! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:35 pm
The problem with discussions involving abstract nouns, is that no one has a right or wrong answer. I have a type of faith that defies description, but I will openly admit that fear has been a big part of my religious upbringing, and that is NOT a good thing.('course, good is an abstract noun as well.)

Happy New Year's Eve, all.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
kickycan wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

Kickycan!

How nice to see you! It's been awhile. I hope you have been well!

Thanks MA. Yep, I'm doing fine.

Momma Angel wrote:

Right back atcha.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
If you want to compare Leviticus to today that is fine. If you want to call a fetus a non being, that is fine. If you want to ignore the fact that the United States of America bombs innocent civilians, that is fine. It is not us and them as far as I am concerned. I have not slotted anybody as the good guys or bad guys. You can throw all the slop you want... doesn't change a thing.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
kickycan wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

I may have to change my name to Criswell.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
Re: ACTING IN GOOD FAITH
i'm a johnny-come-lately to the thread, but i'd like some clarification:

Setanta wrote:
Answers-dot-com wrote:
faith (fāth) n.

1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See synonyms at belief, trust.

Quote:
Among the pushing type of christians at this site, it is asserted that their faith is something special, and that they are entitled to a special consideration on the basis of the importance of their faith to themselves. I say that this is nonsense, that their faith is indistinguishable from superstition, and is entitled to no more consideration than is a belief in astrological signs, lucky rabbits' feet or any other number of unfounded desires asserted to be truth.

since i'm not a Christian, your remarks don't necessarily apply to me, but do you in fact acknowledge any distinction between faith & superstition? for example, i believe that human beings have free will despite lack of proof for the belief. is that superstition? the question is not an idle one: seems to me that all punishment would be immoral if all actions are mechanically determined by external causes.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:07 am
UHH, Set. . .
If faith and superstition were one and the same we wouldn't need two words. I submit that superstition is unchanged by learning while faith is dynamic.

After all, the faithful are often referred to as disciples, or learners.

Of course many who call themselves faithful might not live up to that standard.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:23 pm
yitwail,
Quote:

for example, i believe that human beings have free will despite lack of proof for the belief. is that superstition?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but the simple answer is yes. a belief in freewill meets the requirements of superstition.

Neo,
Quote:

If faith and superstition were one and the same we wouldn't need two words.

Sociologically and psychologically, yes we do. Since the society is predominantly christian, something was needed to separate the 'us' from the 'them'. After all, we can't have the 'true' religion in the same boat with all those other ones started by satan!
It's all propaganda, man. They are the same thing.

Quote:

I submit that superstition is unchanged by learning while faith is dynamic.

So faith is susceptible to change, while superstition is not. If you think faith is changed by learning how do you explain the fundy ID crowd? If faith is changed by learning why do christians habitually reject any new information that doesn't jive with their interpretation of the bible? I'd like to see you make a case for this.
Quote:

After all, the faithful are often referred to as disciples, or learners.

By other faithful, perhaps.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
If you are 'faithful' to something, you are by default eliminating all other possibilities, which is not conducive to learning or progress in any way.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Would you, therefore, suggest that folks NOT be faithful to their partners? Just trying to understand your logic.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:46 pm
Quote:
Among the pushing type of christians at this site, it is asserted that their faith is something special, and that they are entitled to a special consideration on the basis of the importance of their faith to themselves. I say that this is nonsense, that their faith is indistinguishable from superstition, and is entitled to no more consideration than is a belief in astrological signs, lucky rabbits' feet or any other number of unfounded desires asserted to be truth.

So then are you saying that faith does not exist?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Would you, therefore, suggest that folks NOT be faithful to their partners? Just trying to understand your logic.

Wow, nice try. Doesn't cut the mustard, though.
Faith, as in belief without evidence is not the same in anyway to choosing to be monogamous.
You can't play such word games with me, I am a wordsmith Wink
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:51 pm
Also, let me ask this. If faith is no different than superstition, why does it have it's own definition in the dictionary?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Doktor S Wrote:

Quote:
Faith, as in belief without evidence is not the same in anyway to choosing to be monogamous.
You can't play such word games with me, I am a wordsmith

Well, then I suggest you do a little refresher course there, Dok. You were the one that made the statement about being faithful to something, remember? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
H,
I already answered that on the last page man. Keep up!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:55 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

You can't play such word games with me, I am a wordsmith Wink

For a wordsmith, you have failed miserably.

Doktor S wrote:
Quote:
If you are 'faithful' to something, you are by default eliminating all other possibilities, which is not conducive to learning or progress in any way.

My reply above had nothing to do with your new definition that you used in your response. It had to do with your original post.
:wink:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 02:59 pm
Sorry, my bad. So you said:

Quote:
Sociologically and psychologically, yes we do. Since the society is predominantly christian, something was needed to separate the 'us' from the 'them'. After all, we can't have the 'true' religion in the same boat with all those other ones started by satan!
It's all propaganda, man. They are the same thing.

Is this your personal theory, or can you prove this?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:02 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Doktor S Wrote:

Quote:

Well, then I suggest you do a little refresher course there, Dok. You were the one that made the statement about being faithful to something, remember? Rolling Eyes

Such simplicity of mind must be serene....
Words, you know, sometimes have more than one definition. What intrepid did was took my use of a word, and used it in a different context entirely.
Look up 'Equivocation'. It's a logical fallacy.
Being 'faithful' to a woman, which is simply a euphemism for monogamy, has nothing whatsoever to do with 'faith' as is being discussed.
Reread.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 03:05 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Doktor S Wrote:

Quote:

Such simplicity of mind must be serene....
Words, you know, sometimes have more than one definition. What intrepid did was took my use of a word, and used it in a different context entirely.
Look up 'Equivocation'. It's a logical fallacy.
Being 'faithful' to a woman, which is simply a euphemism for monogamy, has nothing whatsoever to do with 'faith' as is being discussed.
Reread.

There is a difference between faith and being faithful... You have failed the word test Doc :-)
0 Replies