Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:01 pm
Dys is a former priest

oops wrong topic - sarcasm one
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:03 pm
dys Wrote:

Quote:
while you do consistently add commentary of speculation, mother angel, you would most likely be taken aback by what you don't know about people you comment about.

And I could say the same of you and others. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
dys Wrote:

Quote:
while you do consistently add commentary of speculation, mother angel, you would most likely be taken aback by what you don't know about people you comment about.

unfortunately not true.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:08 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
dys Wrote:

Quote:

unfortunately not true.

So, what would you call this quote? Commentary of speculation? Or do you think you know this is fact?

Quote:
mother really does have a need to be persecuted it's a significant part of her devotion it's her means of purity via crucification
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:30 pm
I would say that mother angel has displayed for all to read her penchant for martyrdom/victim status (why is evryone always picking on me) while she continues to provoke the very ones she decries.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:28 pm
My impression ios that MA is generally restrained in her comments about others here and more willing than most posters here to acknowledge the limitations of her point of view and an occasional overzealous bit of argument. Moreover she seems (to me at least) more willing than most here toi read and consider the merits of commentary directed against points she has made. In short she is a fairly open-minded, very polite and considerate poster who has a point of view, but does not generally beat others over the head with it.

There is indeed a good deal of trash and hucksterism on TV by self-described Christian "preachers". Some are rather obvious financial scams intended only to fleece the credulous. Others are a form od entertainment offered in part to solicit "love gifts" and the like. I would like tho see it all swept away - along with a lot of the rather more secular trash that also accompanies it. However, like most of us, I wouldn't like to live with the government power that is capable of doing that for fear of the excesses it might bring. This crap is no more typical of the best of Christianity than is the worst sitcom typical of great literature or plays. However Gresham's Law seems to apply in many areas of modern life -- the bad coinage in circulation drives out the good.

At the same time it has become a bit fashionable to mock Christianity in a way that would instantly be termed politically incorrect if it were directed at (say) Moslems, or even groups such as homosexuals, Blacks, etc, The growing double standard is there for all of to see - it is undeniable. I suspect it is that which excites MA's ire.

I agree that in most cases the best tactic is simply to ignorte and brush off the offensive chatter. However one can't on the one hand applaud the organized attempts of homosexuals to suppress "hate speech", or of other groups to enforce their own particular slicew of the political correctitude pie, and then deny the same option to Christians. That is hypocrisy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:34 pm
I don't see where there's much of a Christian bashing thing, except on here sometimes and other internet places, such as certain blogs. The major networks have been airing shows in which proponents of ID are treated as if their ideas might have merit. They did a prime time show asking Christians "Where is Heaven?" and didn't laugh or make faces. Except for some isolated incidents, I would like to see examples of Christian bashing in general society or in the media.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
georgebob1,

Thank you for those kind words. Yes, you are correct in what ires me. I appreciate your post.

edgar,

The only Christian bashing I have ever been talking about is what is done on these threads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:32 pm
Whether you have or not, Momma Angel, others have suggested it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:38 pm
Well, I am sure there probably is some Christian bashing going on out there in the world too, but I was speaking just of in these forums.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 01:29 am
We are equal opportunity bashers here.

Some of the sillier christians just think it is just them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:35 am
Gonna reply in blue.

Momma Angel wrote:
...It is not just a stupid TV show. Uh, yes, it is. It's fiction. If that show is really like it is explained in the original post it extremely offensive to Christianity and Christians. The operant word is if. None of us have seen this program. It may never air. I am sure you would all jump on the bandwagon if it were something a little closer to home in each of your lives. No, I haven't, and I gave an example of where that exact thing happened. Neither I nor the religious leaders of my faith boycotted or protested or got upset because it's just a show. "Seinfeld was also less than flattering to Jews. Many sketches on "Saturday Night Live" are less than flattering to Jews. To that I say, so what, and so do most Jews and Jewish leaders. Television need not kowtow to me and mine, even if I wish really hard and want it to (and I don't). TV is a communications/artistic (although a lot of the programming is of dubious artistic merit) medium. That's all. Is this what you teach your children? That they can ridicule someone just because they believe in God? Where's that coming from? Who said this was ridicule? As I said on a prior topic, who's to say that the protagonist doesn't turn to God for answers, or change the sinners over to good, or obtain grace with suffering, or perhaps be punished for wickedness? There are all sorts of ways for the season to go, who's to say that one idea is more valid than another, seeing as none of us are the writers and none of us are privy to their plans for future episodes. How sad for you and for the children of this world. Their parents cannot even give someone the right to believe what they want to without ridiculing them for it. What if they ridiculed your child because your child believed? How would you feel then? This is all moot to me, as I said before, it's not necessarily ridiculing anything and, even if it was, I have no problem laughing at my foibles and that of other people of my faith. It does not provoke in me a knee-jerk reaction that everything's going to hell in a handbasket. My family does fine whether Jews are gracefully depicted on TV or clumsily or not at all. So does my community. Our survival and our faith does not rely on what stupid hack writers in Hollywood say, do and think. If it did, we'd be in a lotta trouble. Would that be okay with you? Would you allow someone to ridicule your children for doing what they believe is right for them? I would really like to think that you wouldn't be that way but it's hard to. ...

Bottom line, you're offended, I'm sorry you're offended. So don't watch it. I don't like "Fear Factor". I find it offensive that idiots in desperate need of their 20 seconds of fame demean themselves, often doing things (such as eating insects) that some people do just to survive. So I just don't watch the show. Am I an ant against the tide? Probably, but at least I don't have to watch it. And the show will be over eventually, none of this stuff lasts forever. It'll be gone once the next TV trend comes along. I predict the sitcom will come back in a few years and reality programming will mostly go away, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
Actually, I think Momma would have a point if christians were a group in the US who suffered from major discrimination (like access to jobs, education etc.) AND were ONLY portrayed negatively (and according to whatever dumb stereotypes there were about them that were misused to justify the discrimination) in the media in a way that helped maintain the discrimination.

Eg I think blacks had a very strong case to copmplain about media stereotypes in the first ha;f of the twentieth century and back ( and maybe later than that for all I know, but this isn't an argument we need to get into here.)

I do not think that any rational christian can make such a case in present day USA (though, since some react to any questioning of their ideas as insult... let alone any criticism of the irrationality of those ideas....then I have no doubt some DO feel that this is the case.

Such beliefs are backed by no evidence that I am able to ascertain, so I think MA's complaints are ridiculous...however, I can see circumstances in which they would NOT ridiculous.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
Seinfeld not flattering to Jews?

Did people think it was mean to jews, or just generally a show about folk who were odd, some of whom happened to be Jews?

The Jewishness of it was not an element that stuck out for me...it was all just peeeps with peepish foibles.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:09 am
Like I said, we didn't care. And it's not so much unflattering as it hit some stereotypes, although the cheap one was George Costanza. But it did involve Jerry being obsessed with pretty women being imperfect (nose jobs, anyone?), that sort of thing. No one came across well there, and two of them happened to be Jewish, hence the less than flattering image but the reality is, you're right, it's absurd to see it as specifically being anti-Jewish at all and I've never thought about it that way except to give a (rather bad) example here.

And I see the point re groups being discriminated against (Native Americans in Westerns, anyone?). But really, it's one show out of several, and there are lots of favorable shows --"Seventh Heaven", "Joan of Arcadia", "Medium", "Touched by An Angel", "Highway to Heaven" and "Ghost Whisperer" -- which more than balance out in favor of Christianity and overall spirituality. There's lots of shows abotu angels, divinity and the like. This one tiny program, which, as I have sad ad nauseum hasn't even been on the air yet is enough to tip the scales and overbalance all of those over time? That's ascribing some powerful mojo to one stupid TV program.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:18 am
jespah wrote:
Like I said, we didn't care. And it's not so much unflattering as it hit some stereotypes, although the cheap one was George Costanza. But it did involve Jerry being obsessed with pretty women being imperfect (nose jobs, anyone?), that sort of thing. No one came across well there, and two of them happened to be Jewish, hence the less than flattering image but the reality is, you're right, it's absurd to see it as specifically being anti-Jewish at all and I've never thought about it that way except to give a (rather bad) example here.

Aha! Interesting. I would not have been aware of a number of those as stereotypes....

And I agree, it was a very satiric (and in my eyes utterly delicious) panning of humanity in gemeral.

jespah wrote:
And I see the point re groups being discriminated against (Native Americans in Westerns, anyone?). But really, it's one show out of several, and there are lots of favorable shows --"Seventh Heaven", "Joan of Arcadia", "Medium", "Touched by An Angel", "Highway to Heaven" and "Ghost Whisperer" -- which more than balance out in favor of Christianity and overall spirituality. There's lots of shows abotu angels, divinity and the like. This one tiny program, which, as I have sad ad nauseum hasn't even been on the air yet is enough to tip the scales and overbalance all of those over time? That's ascribing some powerful mojo to one stupid TV program.

Oh, I agree.

Christian stuff is everywhere, and portraying all sorts of different ideas about christianity.

I think THIS complaint frivolous and silly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 08:21 am
Oh, did anyone mention the show hasn't been on the air yet?

Christian Chicken Littledom?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm
No, the show has not aired yet. I have written to the executives to ask them if this is what the show is about because I don't know for sure that it is. If it is, yes, I will voice my displeasure about it. Right now, they are airing Good Times again on the Fox Channel here in Louisiana. Well, believe me, the Afro-American population is up in arms about this. And, I'm right there with them on this. That show does not portray Afro-Americans in a very good light.

Call me silly, ridiculous, paranoid, whatever you may. I stick up for what I believe in. You gotta stand for something or you will fall for anything.

I think if everyone would think back over the years as to what things were not okay and to how little by little they became okay, they might understand a bit of what I am saying.

None of the changes were huge right out there changes. They were and are little things that can be explained away with a simple, oh, it's just a joke, oh, c'mon it's no big deal, oh, just ignore it, kind of justification.

If you are happy with the way things are then that is fine for you. If I can do anything legally and within my constitutional rights about something that is not okay with me, I will do it.

What is funny to some, isn't to others. What is okay to some, isn't to others. What hurts some feelings doesn't hurt others.

This is just a forum for discussion and to voice your opinions. I just don't see the need to call other's opinions, views, beliefs, etc. (anything) names. But, I guess some do see the need for it.

That's just life.

Happy New Year Everyone!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
dlowan wrote:
Seinfeld not flattering to Jews?

Did people think it was mean to jews, or just generally a show about folk who were odd, some of whom happened to be Jews?

One of the best episodes was the one with Elaine and her Shix (NO idea how to spell that!) Appeal and everyone was renouncing their Judaism. It was hilarious.
0 Replies